VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Recently, I've gotten into various cue sports (8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball), and it's very likely that I will be getting a pool table soon.

Given the nature of cue sports, I'm fairly certain that most pool tables (and possibly even cue sticks) are going to have animal products such as wool or leather in them. Before now, I've never given it much thought because all of my time spent playing pool was on someone else's table (included rented at a pool bar), so I had no qualms with it.

However, now that I have a chance to purchase one, I want to make sure I get something appropriate (or nothing at all).

I'm aware that there are many pool tables that use leather netting in the pockets, and I'll be certain to steer clear of those. However, I'm not an expert on the materials used in either conventional pool tables or cue sticks.

I'm not a particularly good researcher either. As of now, the only materials I know of that aren't vegan and are used in cue sports is a very small amount of leather on the tip of the cue stick, as well as wool in the cloth that covers the surface of the table.

I wanted to know if anyone on these forums knew of billiards equipment that would still meet regulation, but lacked any non-vegan materials or if they knew of other materials used that I should be wary of.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

- Sane

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sane,
I was in the same boat: being vegan, but wanting to indulge myself with a home pool table. Finding one without leather pockets is fairly easy. But unless you want a non-slate table (which is not recommended) finding one without a wool-blend cloth is a daunting task.

Fortunately, for most pool tables the cloth is installed at your home when the table is assembled (so they can give you a choice of colors). So I introduced myself to my local Brunswick dealer and explained to him that I was vegan and wanted to supply my own non-wool cloth: would he be okay with this? And could he supply a real slate table with non-leather pockets? He said Yes, and even took $100 off the price since I would be supplying my own cloth. I went with the Brunswick Contender Tremont model (least expensive 1" slate table that Brunswick makes). For cloth, I ordered 4 yards of the same cloth that is used on outdoor pool tables: "Sunbrella" from this online company: http://www.outdoorfabriccentral.com/...est-green.html

The installers said that the fabric did not stretch at all, and has no nap, but that it should make for a good "very fast" cloth. Thus far I have had no problems with it (but I'm not a very experienced pool player).

I didn't know about pool cues containing leather in the tip. Four cues came with the table, and I purchased two inexpensive short cues. Hopefully only the expensive ones have leather.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts