VeggieBoards banner

Vegan Baklava

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  monkeyandbunny 
#1 ·
kittee sent me the original recipe for this, but i, of course, was not entirely satisfied with it until i played around with the amounts and ingredients. so, it's now my own.
enjoy.

Rose- or Orange-Scented Baklava

1 1/2 cups white sugar

3/4 cup water

2 tbsp rose or orange water (you can find this in the ethnic food aisle or middle eastern grocery)

1 lb. phyllo pastry, cut into approximately 9"x13" sheets

1 cup margarine

4 cups finely chopped walnuts, or 1/2 walnuts, 1/2 almonds

1 cup white sugar

6 tbsp rose or orange water

Boil the first amounts of water and sugar together for 2 minutes, to make a syrup. Add the rose or orange water. Cool a bit, then refrigerate.

To make the filling, grind the walnuts, sugar and rose or orange water together in a food processor until its almost paste-like. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Brush a 9x13 baking pan or similar sized cookie sheet with the melted margarine. Place a sheet of phyllo in the pan, brush with margarine and continue this until you have used up half the phyllo and half the margarine. Distribute the filling evenly over the top. Layer the rest of the phyllo and margarine, brushing the top with margarine.

Cut 1-wide long strips, right through to the bottom of the pan, and then cut on the diagonal to make diamond shapes. Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 300 degrees F and bake about 10 minutes more, or til golden brown and puffy.

Re-cut the pieces you have already cut, then pour the syrup over the whole thing. It will look like its sitting in a pool of syrup, but it gets absorbed. Let it cool on a rack at room temperature for several hours before serving.

Makes about 30 pieces. Invite your friends over for this, and they will love you for all eternity.

See less See more
#2 ·
ROSE-SCENTED BAKLAVA makes 25-30 pieces

This is the BEST baklava! It sounds too simple, but its perfect- sometimes recipes have too much cinnamon.

ROSEWATER SYRUP:

1 and ½ c. light unbleached sugar or white beet sugar

¾ c. water

2 T. rose water (buy in Middle eastern grocery)

1 lb. phyllo pastry, cut in half to make 9x13 sheets

1 c. margarine (Earth Balance), melted OR ½ c. margarine plus ½ c. Chinese expeller-pressed peanut oil

FILLING:

2 c. chopped walnuts (you can also use hazelnuts)

½ c. light unbleached sugar or white beet sugar

2 T. rose water

MAKE THE SYRUP: Boil the water and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add the rose water. Cool a bit, then refrigerate.

MAKE THE FILLING: Grind the walnuts, sugar and rosewater together in a food processor until its almost paste-like.

PREHEAT THE OVEN to 350 degrees F.

TO ASSEMBLE THE BAKLAVA, brush a 9x13 baking pan with the melted marge. Place a sheet of phyllo in the pan, brush with marge and continue this til you have used up half the phyllo and half the marge. Distribute the Filling evenly over the top. Layer the rest of the phyllo and marge, brushing the top with marge. (You should have just enough margarine. (You could try using less, but its not something you make often, so what the heck!)

Cut 1-wide long strips, right through to the bottom of the pan, and then cut on the diagonal to make diamond shapes. Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 300 degrees F and bake about 10 minutes more, or til golden brown and puffy.

Re-cut the pieces you have already cut, then pour the syrup over the whole thing. It will look like its sitting in a pool of syrup, but it gets absorbed. Let it cool on a rack at room temperature for several hours before serving.

#5 ·
After dreaming about it for months, I finally made the Rose-Scented Baklava today for a potluck.... It was absolutely phenomenal!!! I wasn't quite prepared for all the work with the Phyllo dough, but the results were SO worth it!!!! I also made a Hawaiian version, with coconut and macadamia nuts for the filling, and pineapple and papaya in the syrup. it was good, but not anywheres near as good as the original recipe! OMG, what a wonderful dish! I just snuck the very last piece down to my room for a late nite snicky-snack!! yum!

#6 ·
Oh my gosh...

I didn't think vegan baklava was even *possible*!! I am printing these out right now -- I think I'll try both recipes (how can you have too much baklava?). I need to get some rose water first, though.

Isobel,

Have you never had rose ice-cream? rose jelly? rose tea? It's kind of disconcerting at first because most are used to just *smelling* roses, but rose-flavored foods are among my favorites!!

Mskedi

#10 ·
Hmm.. you people are weird, in a positive way of course.
I've got a recipe for baklava too. Here it is:

Vegan baklava

Dough

50 g or 1.8 oz margarine

a dash of salt

4 dl or 1.7 C flour

1 1/4 dl or 0.5 C vegetable milk or water

Filling

150 g or 5.4 oz all kinds of nuts and almonds, ground

2 tsp cinnamon

50 g or 1.8 oz margarine

Liquid

1 dl or 0.4 C syrup

4 tbsp lemon juice

2.5 dl or 1 C water

Put the margarine, salt and flour in a bowl. Knead until the margarine and the flour have mixed up real good. Add milk/water and mix into a dough. Knead it for about 10 min. or so untl it's good and stiff. Put the bowl (with the dough in it, mind you) in the fridge for 10 min. and meanwhile make the filling.

Mix the nuts and cinnamon together. Melt the margarine. Butter a pan. Take the dough out of the fridge, divide it into ten pieces. Put nine of them back in the fridge. Sprinkle a little flour on the table and start rolling the dough. The result should be paper thin and about the size of your pan. It can be done!

Now pick up your creation (the sheet that is) and place it in the pan. Spread some of the melted margarine on it. Do another sheet the exact same way and spread some margarine on that one too. Now add 1/4 of the filling on top of the second sheet. Keep going until you've done them all. Two sheets with margarine, then 1/4 of the filling. OK?

When you're done cut it up in portions and bake at 175C or 350F for 50 minutes. While you're waiting, mix up the hot water, the syrup and the lemon juice. When the baklava is out of the oven, pour the liquid on top of it. Cover it and let it rest in a cool place, preferably until the next day.

That's it

I'm sorry about the weird measures. I have the recipe in metric

#11 ·
Mine is the lazy man's simplified version with just margarine, dough, nuts, sugar and syrup. Exactly the same as all above, except a 5:1 ratio of walnuts to almonds, and some whole cloves and cinnamon stick in the syrup instead of rose water (which I am anxious to try) while heating it. Any of these recipies are would be amazingly simple for a first timer. I thought it would be hard, and so does everyone else, and that's why people will really praise you when they see that you've made it!

#13 ·
I've copied/pasted and printed everyone's ideas, and I'm very motivated!!!!!!

Why?? (you may or may not ask)

Below is my current version of vegan "peanut-baklava"

Heat some peanut butter in the microwave until it flows

Then

Take a small boullion bowl

Fill it half way with crunched up walnuts

Then

Pour the peanut butter over the top

Then

add about 1 tablespoon molasses

Then

Mix it all up and eat it (probably while still standing at the kitchen counter)

So needless to say......... I'm excited to have something a little more refined

#18 ·
Here you go Randy, this is the recipe that I have used, I think I originally got it online somewhere and I ran it by my professor who made us orange water for our middle ages feast last year. She said it was very similar to her recipe.I think she said that she used the same sort of recipe for making rosewater, just using roses and rose oil instead.

orange scented water

1/4 cup of vodka

3 cups distilled water

10 to 12 tablespoons dried orange-peel slivers

Orange essential oil

Mason jar

Strainer

Combine distilled water and vodka in a jar with a tight-fitting lid (the vodka acts as a fixative to hold the scent).

Add orange essential oil and stir, then add dried orange peel. Set the mixture aside, with the lid on tightly, for four weeks.

Using a strainer, decant, and funnel into decorative bottles(if you want). Add more dried orange slivers, if desired.

You can make lemon water, rosewater, etc., using this same process.

I sometimes cheat and only let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks... I just made some for christmas this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.