VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a little help with baking as I am new to all this. Do most of you purchase baking mixes for cakes/cookies or do you start from scratch? Thanks to everyone for all of their support!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I never buy premade packaging. I'm just paying a company to do the measurements for me. Going from scratch seems like a pain in the ass, but it is worth it.

What type of recipes are you looking for?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
home made all the way. Pretty much all packages are geared towards eggs being used.

Recommended books: They Joy of Vegan Baking, The vegan cookie Connoisseur, Vegan Baking Classics (by Kelly Rudnicki- and I don't recommend the zucchini bread recipe, but everything else has been good)
Fran Costigan's MORE GREAT GOOD DAIRY-FREE DESSERTS NATURALLY , although I wouldn't suggest it for a beginner baker.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I bake from scratch. I have never used packaged mixes, even when I was an omni. Anything made from a mix always tastes "mix-y" to me. And there's nothing so hard about measuring out a little flour and sugar, anyway.

Try Googling "Wacky Cake" -- it's a naturally vegan chocolate cake recipe that's been around forever. No weird ingredients and it comes out really yummy, you'd never know it was vegan. A similar recipe has been posted on this forum as "Absurdly Easy Chocolate Cake," but it makes more cake than the Wacky Cake recipe I use, which only makes an 8 x 8 square pan.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
^^^it's very good! and simple

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and I will look up some of those recipes and try them out!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I make all mine from scratch too.

I'm making a cake for one of my coworkers this weekend and it's going to be a vegan chocolate cake and vegan ganache. They don't know it will be vegan but they asked me to make it so it's going to be vegan.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I've done both, but I tend to do from scratch as well. You might check in the recipe section here for different desserts. My question is, would a nut milk be as good as a soy milk? We have a soy allergy, and I don't want to send anyone to the hospital.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Almond milk (and most if not all non-dairy milks) should work just fine.
I've seen many recipes that simply call for 'non-dairy milk,' allowing the baker to make the choice. We only bake from scratch here too. Also, I love Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa and Terry. Recently, I got a hold of some food grade rosewater and made the rosewater pistachio cupcakes from the cupcake book mentioned. Fragrant and tasty! I'd like to check out Kelly's Vegan Cookie Connoisseur book sometime and support a fellow Milwaukee vegan.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't have much time to bake from scratch, but I LOVE it. It's so much fun to watch your whole-food ingredients transform into bread, cake, cookies, etc. And veg*n baking is really fun to experiment with. So many possible combinations and ratios!!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

I've seen many recipes that simply call for 'non-dairy milk,' allowing the baker to make the choice. We only bake from scratch here too. Also, I love Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa and Terry. Recently, I got a hold of some food grade rosewater and made the rosewater pistachio cupcakes from the cupcake book mentioned. Fragrant and tasty! I'd like to check out Kelly's Vegan Cookie Connoisseur book sometime and support a fellow Milwaukee vegan.
I have her book, and I like it too! I made the biscotti and something else from it. hard to believe she's only like 19 and has a cookbook out.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

I've seen many recipes that simply call for 'non-dairy milk,' allowing the baker to make the choice.
Ok, thanks. I'm working around a soy allergy, which is harder then working around an egg allergy and a vegan.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Vegan Cookies Invade your cookie Jar! Lots of great, easy recipes, and tips. By Isa Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romano.
After getting this book I took another at Veganomicon. I ordered it immediatly. I think the biggest problem I had was the books format, which Cookies is also bad for- having to turn the pages, but at least it starts the recipes on their own page.

I like this hard to find pdf page for egg, dairy subs:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/docs/pdf/egg.pdf
and for gluten free:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/docs/pdf/...ive_Flours.pdf

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
My question is, would a nut milk be as good as a soy milk?
Yes, with one exception. Soymilk can be soured to use like buttermilk would be in baking. Hemp and almond don't work out, I don't know about coconut or more exotic nutmilks (pecan? walnut? dunno)

Yeah, I'm late in answering the question but I wanted to mention the exception in case you were trying buttermilk biscuits or something. It probably only matters if coagulated solids are important (biscuits) but not when it's soured for flavor (like buttermilk pancakes).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts