VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am trying to lose some weight and build some muscle....no prob for me when I was eating meat. I used to do the south beach and lose 10 pounds in two weeks fast. I could shed fat really quickly. I know that to do so I need a higher protein diet. My only prob is that I want to go vegan and I do not see a ton of options to do this. I know I can eat tofu, but there is only so much tofu a girl can eat in a day before she never wants to see another block of it. Also, Ia m trying to build muscle (Im contemplating some type of bodybuilding or fitness/figure competition in the far off future....but I first need to build a solid miscle base, and from my past experience, that means lots of protein)

My question for you all is: What are the highest protein containing vegan foods I can eat?

or

When I go completely vegan, will I just naturally lose the weight? I am so confussed!
HELP!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I naturally lost weight, but it of course depends on your diet based on your amount of activity. I lost weight even after sitting on my butt for months. I just stopped eating as much. I didn't need a lot of food because I wasn't being active.

Believe it or not, there are tons of good vegan sources of protein. Not just soy and tofu, despite popular belief. You should probably spend some extra time doing research on vegan nutrition. Deficiencies are dangerous things.

Protein Content of Select Vegan Foods

·
Registered
53 Posts
you won't necessarily lose weight as long as you're eating enough calories, but the reason why ppl lose weight whenswitching to a veg diet is b/c the fibre from fruits & veg and grains etc are more filling, and you end up eating less.

If you want to get more protein, try eating a lot of nuts, OATS, avocados, beans & legumes...lentils, or maybe protein shakes if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Everyone always mentions the B12. I drink Silk brand soy milk, and it has a ton of B12 - no supplement needed. It's completely vegan, and also high protein.

Other good protein sources that most people already eat include pasta, bread, peas, and peanut butter. There are also vegan protein bars like Clif Bars that are sold specifically as additional protein for people who work out.

--Fromper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts