VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of transitioning out all of the products I use for animal free alternatives. I suffer from dry mouth due to medication I take, and my hygienist told me I need artificial saliva to compensate. I have been using Biotene mouthwash, which contains a compound that stimulates saliva production, yet have since learned that it contains a number of animal products. Does anyone have any suggestions for vegan alternatives? Thanks and best wishes to you.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I just make sure to have a drink with me constantly. as long as I've got a drink, I can keep mine under control.

ETA - went to buy my boyfriend cough drops earlier, the Halls Refresh ones seem to be for dry mouth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. Dry mouth/low saliva leads to tooth decay.Most lozenges only exacerbate that problem. Most of the foods (even most vegan foods) create an acid environment in the mouth, and that is what encourages bacterial growth. Sipping water helps alkalize the mouth, but does nothing to increase saliva production (unless it was caused by dehydration). My dentist gave me samples of the Biotene. It really helped with saliva production, but seems to leave a nasty taste, and, as you've noted, is not vegan. I, too, was looking for a vegan option. So far, no luck. (BTW, saw my dentist just earlier today, so the info is fresh in my memory.)

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Or have a healthy snack.

Quote:
Celery. If you need an excuse to snack, here it is! Munching on such waterlogged snacks as celery sticks helps stimulate the saliva glands and adds moisture to your mouth.
I take medication that cause xerostomia, it's so annoying! You drink a full glass of water and mouth is dry 10 min later. Sugarless candies can help activate saliva also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, have tried the Thayers... The spray has a pleasant taste and does seem helpful. As far as effectiveness is concerned, I have no way of comparing it to the Biotene. Sadly, I found the lozenges to be so nasty tasting that it rendered them inedible. I'm going to use the spray, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts