VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...i looked at a lot of recipes for vegan alfredo and chose the one below because i thought it sounded the best, and i could easily get the ingrediants. I bought all the stuff and i'd been looking forward to making it all week. I got it all together and put it in my blender...and...yuck...whats that smell?!
It was awful. i could barely bring myself to poke it with my finger. Against my better judgment...i tried it. I dont think i have the stomach to try any type of vegan cheese for a very long time...maybe even years. I dont think i can even look at garlic the same way again. If someone serves this to you, take my advise and run like the dickens! Does anyone have a vegan alfredo recipe that they have actually tried and liked?

***Do not attempt to make this***

Fettuccini No-Fredo

Ever tried to make real fettuccini alfredo from scratch? Complicated and expensive. Try this tofu-based sauce and see if it doesn't taste just as yummy, with none of the fuss.

1 box (about 300gr) of soft tofu (silken-style is probably best)

1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes

1/3 cup vegan parmesan substitute (optional)

3-6 cloves fresh garlic, minced

1/2 to 1 cup unflavoured soy milk

sea salt, to taste

2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped fine

Cooked fettuccini noodles (whole wheat, if you can find 'em!)

In your food processor, place all ingredients but the soy milk and chopped basil. Begin blending on low speed, and add the soy milk a little at a time, to achieve the desired consistency (which would be a slightly thin "cheese" sauce).

When it seems just right, transfer the sauce to a pot and begin heating on medium-low, until just before it boils. Pour over the cooked fettuccini noodles, and sprinkle with the chopped basil.

Serves 4

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
heh. that's my recipe. sorry you didn't like it. everyone i've made it for has loved it. and i get lotsa emails about how good it is, too. maybe you just need to adjust the quantities of the ingredients to get it more to your liking?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the optional vegan parm, was that supposed to be 1/3 cup of that instead of nutritional yeast or in addition to it? i used both...maybe thats where i went wrong. But hey, to each his/her own, sorry i mooned your recipe

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
what kind of vegan parm did you use? i just use a blend of ground almonds, nutritional yeast and salt. i've never liked the storebought kinds.

well, like i said, sorry it wasn't to your liking. it's real frustrating to be looking forward to making and eating something yummy-sounding, only to be disappointed.

can i ask, what kind of tofu/nutritional yeast/soy milk did you use?

don't worry, i rarely take criticism personally, unless it's REALLY MEAN.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha, well im glad you weren't offended.

I used:

-Nasoya silken tofu (soft)

-Silk plain soymilk

-Soymage vegan parm

I noticed that a lot of the recipes called for raw cashews, mabye its better with your homemade almond parm. I was just afraid to use nuts since i only have a blender, and I just got a new one because i somehow broke my old one making hummus. drunken hummus making is a dangerous thing indeed.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
okay. i was thinking it could have been you used a sweet soy milk, or a funny kind of tofu, or brewer's yeast, or something, but it sounds like you knew what you were doing, so, nevermind!

i don't have any advice for ya, sorry. i guess it's just not something you can dig. what other recipes for it have you found?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I think

"FETTUCINI NO-FREDO" is a cool name

(though I don't care for cream sauces - veg*n or no veg*n - so I'd never be able to judge)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just did a google search for 'vegan alfredo' and hundreds of pages suprisingly came up. Most called for cashews....might be interesting to add to your recipe. I think im just gonna make my fettuccini noodles with some plain veggies and call it a night. Thanks for your help though

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
there's another version out there that uses corn, blended up with soy milk... I do a bit of a combination...

silken tofu

soy milk

nutritional yeast (not too much... )

corn

vegan parm (soymage)

garlic

salt

sautee up some snow peas and veggie ham and toss it with the rest... so veryvery good!!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
did you use nutritional yeast as well? because some brands/kinds ruin recipes.

i made a "cheese" sauce with one before i knew the difference and shane actually threw up from eating it. *LOL*

·
Registered
152 Posts
i had the same thing happen with some nutrtional yeast before...was it a kind you've used before and like? or was it maybe too real-ish and that turned you off? cuz i think dairy stuff just smells rancid and gross now, hence not really missing cheese. walking through a cheese section of stores, especially with it very fresh, makes me want to heave right there and gives me headaches.

but, umm...if it's neither of those, i guess the recipe just isn't right for you. there was an alfredo recipe(that i can't seem to find now) on the show cooking thin by kathleen daelemans that was white bean based, i think. maybe something like that would work better for ya.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I made some just the other day....:

Fried some ch. onion with garlic & olive oil. Then chucked some silken tofu in a blender wth the garlic/oily/onion stuff. Then put back in a saucepan wth some broccoli & zucchini til cooked & served wth pasta....delectable! Never tried cooking with the whole yeast thing...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.