VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on a week trip with my boyfriend to meet his family. We are planning on staying with his sister and husband. I am worried about vegetarian meal issues. How do I make sure there is something for me to eat without being a pain or big inconvienence? My BF has been great about veggie eating (makes veg food for me, doesn't cook meat in the house etc) and has already prepped his family a little. I really want to get along with his family, not be a source of irritation. My family and friends have been quite supportive of me since becoming a veg (4 years ago). What have people done in this this type of situation? Any comments or suggestions would be helpful!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am lacto-ovo. The potential problem I foresee is meat in everything (especially when visiting his grandfather).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well since you are lacto-ovo, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. When I go over for dinners at my bf's mom's house.. which is NOT veg friendly at all.. I just subtract the meat from everything possible. For example hamburgers and sandwiches are easy to eat with all the veggies, sauces etc with no patty.. casseroles and pasta become a little more tricky because you'll have to make sure you're around to request that your portion gets separated from the whole pot before the meat goes into it. And what helps is to always be eating fruits and drinking water throughout the whole day because then you won't be as hungry when mealtime comes around.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I personally don't think it's a big deal. When visiting at another person's house I always remember to pack my sense of humor. There are going to be things you can eat. Generally when I'm eating at my meat loving family's house, I stick to side dishes, salads, and cooked veggies, pasta, rice and potatoes. I also always offer to make one of my specialties, to give everyone a taste of something different.

You'll be okay. You're not going for the food anyway, but the company right?

B

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
for me, i often talk with the host/ess when i arrive about what my specific needs are. If they insist on taking care of all the meals, etc, then they're responsible.

but, when i go over to my inlaws (or someone elses) i'll generally stop by the grocery store and pick up what i'll need for the duration of the trip. and then take care of myself. Most people dont' have a problem with this--just ask where you can store your food.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Carol J. Adams's book, "Living Among Meat Eaters" gives a bunch of great suggestions for situations like this. It's helped me a lot in relating to omnis and keeping things polite. I highly suggest it.

p.s. Whenever I go on a trip, I always bring a little bag with me full of filling things that will keep, like soy nuts and fruit leathers. That way if you don't get filled up at meals you'll always have a backup.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Are the people you are staying with the type to cook meals or are they the going out type? Do a restaurant search and find places that will suit everyone. http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/index.html Since you are Lacto-Ovo it's really not a big deal (although to some people it's a HUGE deal) Make a list of things you won't eat and either email it to your BF's sister or have your boyfriend send it to her. This always works for me.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Yeah, at least you're still eating eggs/cheese. That'll make it pretty easy for your relatives. You could alway stop at the store and grab a box of veggie burgers and tofu dogs for yourself for the week.

I agree with Bethanie, that you could always offer to help with making dinner, and throw in one of your own veggie dishes. If your relatives are anything like mine, the veggie dish will go the quickest--proving that a vegetarian diet is more superior!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just spent a weekend at Tahoe with my best friend and her extended family. I wasn't sure how it was going to go since I had never met these people before. I brought all the food I would need (I was only there for three days - for a week trip it might help to find a nearby grocery store) and I brought one meal to prepare and share with everyone - well almost everyone, there were more people than I expected!

It turned out fine..no problems at all!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Hmmm, I may be experiencing a fit of jealousy as I recall how easy it was for me as a lacto-ovo, as opposed to now as a vegan.

I never had any trouble filling up on side dishes, and just saying, "Ah no roast for me, but could you pass me some more of those delicious cheesy potatoes?" Breakfast? "No ham in my omelette please, I just like the cheese and veggies." Or, "I'll skip the bacon, but the pancakes look wonderful." They're making sandwiches for lunch? "I'll skip the sliced turkey, but I love a cheddar cheese sandwich with mayo." Eating out? Quesadillas, pasta with alfredo and mushrooms, garlic bread....

I really never had a problem eating at people's homes or at restaurants when I was ovo-lacto. Rare was the occasion when there wasn't something I could eat! As for people's reactions to my choices, I just took it all with a dose of humor -- and kept reassuring them that I really was perfectly happy with a dinner of "side dishes."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments and suggestions! I think I may have been getting a little more stressed out than necessary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts