VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about fictional portrayals of veg*ns you've found interesting, whether negative portrayals, positive portrayals, purely incidental bits of characters, or whatever.

Sci-fi, fantasy, romance, whodunnits, or whatever -- I'm curious.

I can't really think of much. Lin the Khepri in Perdido Street Station was a vegetarian, although that seemed to be a pretty incidental aspect of her character. I'm not sure whether Khepri were all biologically herbivorous or she just happened to be. (Khepri are a kinda odd fantasy race in Bas-Lag. The males are basically giant scarab beetles, while the have giant scarab beetles for heads, and are like women from the neck down.)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know that. Is that in Iron Council or The Scar? I haven't read those: I've only read Perdido Street Station. (I've gotta get around to reading the other Bas-Lag books sometimes)

·
Registered
0 Posts
In the book "Out of Nowhere" there is a girl named Singer who is vegetarian because she likes animals too much to eat them. Shes a side character and the book dosen't go into it much, but they mention it a few times.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The one I always recall is Ken from the "Jinny" series by Patricia Leitch -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...a+Leitch+jinny. She never says the word vegan, but it's obvious he is and regularly has him talk about his philosophy in a really positive light. He also grew and made most of his own food. It was probably my first exposure to veganism when I read these books for the first time at around 8 or 9 and it always seemed like a really clean, pure way to live. These books were wrote in the 70's so I think it's pretty cool that she portrayed veganism in that way rather than some mad hippy notion.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't know if anyone here has seen "Dinotopia" (a great TV series and books), but all the residents of dinotopia are vegan since they believe in non-violence (basically ahimsa), the only people who eat flesh are the outsiders who refuse to give up their violent lifestyles, oh, and the T-rex dinosaurs who live outside Dinotopia (the dinos inside Dinotopia are all vegans too).

Also two characters in my favourite series ever are veggies, Rick and Neil in "The Young Ones". Neil is a stereotypical hippie, which would explain why he is veggie. Rick is veggie, althought obviously not for animal rights since (in the TV series, not he book) he seems quite happy to kill rats and fishes and flies in the series.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

I didn't know that. Is that in Iron Council or The Scar? I haven't read those: I've only read Perdido Street Station. (I've gotta get around to reading the other Bas-Lag books sometimes)
Actually, I disliked Perdido Street Station, and so never picked up any of the other books. Some of my friends are fans and have read the others, though.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
The DC Comics superhero character Animal Man is vegetarian. His superpower has to do with telepathically reaching out to animals in the area and absorbing their characteristics, thus allowing him to do things like fly if there's a bird nearby, regenerate an arm in one issue by reaching out to earthworms, etc.

That was a very interesting series in the late 80's-early 90's, since they took this minor character from decades earlier and sort of re-invented him that way. They made him a "former" superhero who now has a wife and kids, and he goes back to doing the superhero thing. He starts using his powers again for the first time in a while, and suddenly starts to sympathize with the animals that help him, so he decides to become a vegetarian, which causes a huge fight with his wife. Very cool series about what life would really be like for someone in that situation.

Given that the writer of the series is a vegetarian, it's not surprising that he made the character a veg, too.

--Fromper

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh. I forgot Angua von Uberwald from Discworld.

I'm not really sure what it says about her character, except the dichotomy between her human and lupine natures as a werewolf. I suspect that she's vegetarian for ethical reasons, since she seems to think that it's rather amusing poetic justice when Dorfl the Golem wrecks the slaughterhouse in Feet of Clay, although they don't really go into her beliefs much.

Oh, and also in Discworld, the priest Dios in Pyramids is a vegetarian, since he's a "pseudo-Egyptian" priest. With him, it seems to be about dogmatic adherence to ritual, since he basically prevents time from flowing in the kingdom of Djelibeybi and is obsessed with keeping everything the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.