VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an interesting thought just occured to me, in response to another post...

what happens if you're a vegetarian/vegan and get admitted into the hospital...are most hospitals accomadating to this kind of diet, or do they make it hard for you to get anything to eat?

luckily I haven't been sick in a long time, let alone having had to go to the hospital, but still...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Most have a person from the kitchen staff come to talk to you and ask you about meal options at each meal (provided you are conscious and able to speak/eat a typical diet)~ I believe they ask if you have any special dietary needs the first time they come in.

They take kosher, vegetarian, etc, into account. You might have to get into details if you are vegan, as they may not be familiar. (vegetarian, no eggs/dairy/honey, etc is probably enough info for them)

The hospital I have been in (where I gave birth to my 2 children) was very accomidating. If you didn't like the meal options, they could bring you ala carte' items in the menu's place. And they had a room at the end of the hall with snacks and drinks stocked at all times. (of course, this was maternity and we were able to walk freely in the ward... or have a friend/family member pop over and grab something for you or themselves)

It was all covered with the paid hospital stay, unless you wanted something from a vending machine. We never needed to do that, though. The kitchens were stocked very well for us.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
In Louisiana my friend who was vegan was never accomodated. No matter how much she explained they kept bringing her beef broth/jello/carton of milk. Try as she might all those comments about "milk is good for you/there is no animal in jello/ beef broth doesn't have meat"

But that is Louisiana. Where everything is backwards.

I feel sure in the UK I would be accomodated

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I don't know, but how about if we bash our heads together and find out?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember when I had lyme disease last summer (literally like a month before going vegetarian) all they gave me were non-vegan items.

milk, ice cream, chicken noodle soup and I forget what else.

luckily I haven't had to spend much time in the hospital in a LONG time.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
When I had jaw surgery I was on a liquid diet, and most of it was non-vegetarian (I was omni at the time). It makes me wonder what they would have on hand to feed a veg*n who couldn't chew. They tried to transition me to a soft diet by feeding me lots of eggs (I couldn't eat them anyway. Hospital eggs=not soft).

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I remember when I had my daughter the hospital staff was very nice wrote down that I didn't eat meat but when it came time to get my meal the kitchen staff screwed it up and gave my dinner to someone else. I think if possible arange for a friend to bring you in food if your doc says it is o.k.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was in a hospital (luckily for only one day) that gave me a "hamburger" with everything but the burger for lunch. A bun, a piece of fake cheese, a piece of lettuce and slice of tomato. Seriously.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I guess it also depends on the hospital. Our local hospital is very accomodating. I used to work there about six years ago and we had requests all the time for special diets, including vegetarian. I don't think I recall anyone asking for vegan meals, however.

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
The hospital I was at in '04 was pretty accomodating about my diet. One of the orderlys was super nice to me and made sure that they gave me veggie meals. I never really ate them though as my family brought me food most days. That's the only good thing I can say about that experience.

·
Registered
885 Posts
My sister is a dietician's aide at a hospital and she says that they will make vegetarian plates but that they aren't too varied. I have never asked her about vegan though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was in the hospital three weeks ago having my daughter and they asked me if I had any dietary restrictions. I was able to choose from a menu (a small selection, but a selection nonetheless). I was impressed (steamed veggies that weren't covered with butter and veggie burgers with no cheese), though I would have been really impressed if I could have gotten soymilk and vegan cupcakes - thats what husbands are for I guess as he brought me food from home.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

Seventh Day Adventist hospitals only serve vegetarian food.
Yes, I would recommend checking them out first. Here in Nashville what is now Tennessee Christian Medical Center was taken over by a larger entity, but it used to be SDA owned and still operates on SDA principles.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
In my experience... THEY SUCK!

I was in the hospital for 9 days last year and they could NOT get my diet straight even though it said specifically "Vegetarian, No Meat, Fish, Poultry or broth, No Gelatin, No Dairy, No Eggs" on my menus that arrived... I would still get Jello, or the vegetarian option for that meal, which was an Amy's Microwave meal... with cheese. Of course the other problem in this is that I was severely ill and was not feeling up to eating anyway, and I requested things like "oatmeal" and "white rice" which the kitchen staff was consistently unable to provide even when my menus were sent down in advance. At one point I threw a fit and made them remove my tray IMMEDIATELY because the smell of whatever Amy's meal was on there was making me want to vomit.

In the end, over 9 days I ate two bites of oatmeal, one dinner roll, and 1/2 cup of white rice.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
If you end up in a rehab center after the hospital, don't expect a whole lot better. Many nursing homes are transitioning from housing older adults for years or more to a rehab-based program because that's what people are going for these days. Rehab and hospice.

The problem is, the nursing home/rehab center may or may not have a clue vegetarians exist. Vegans will probably have an especially hard time, since food is prepared in large quantities and dished up all at once. If you know you're going from the hospital to a rehab center, try calling around and talking with the dietary managers at several rehab places. Then do a cost/benefits comparison, figuring in the quality of the rehab, the place's general reputation, and the food. If the best rehab is found at the places that don't do well with vegetarian food, see if you can talk them into a reduced rate because your family members are bringing you all your food.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I work for an adventist hospital and while I can't speak for other hospitals, I can tell you about ours. They do not ONLY serve vegetarian, they offer a vegetarian dish and a meat dish for every meal. We occasionally have patients that are vegan and they get a vegan tray. It usally looks pretty good (as far as cafeteria food goes) but often contains things like bananas and walnuts which I am allergic to.

I had a baby in a military hospital and then a hospital in Germany- the first served meat to me the first few trays then gave me menus to fill out and I was able to find things- but I was vegetarian then not vegan. In germany, they simply served me the non meat part of whatever they were making that day which means I got very tiny plates of veggies and not much else with it.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

it amazes me that hospital food is so freaking unhealthy. it's a wonder anyone gets out alive.
In the movie supersize me it showed hospitals that had Mc donald's in them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts