VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question but...

what's the difference between Vegan and Veg*n? (besides the "*" of course)

Is it like PWNED? Like OWNED with a P? lol. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Veg*n is short for "vegetarian and/or vegans" it takes the place of the "etaria" in vegetarian, and the "a" in vegan. It's easier than typing both out when you are talking about both.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Why the general population translates it into vegan I have no idea. Some people have aks me I don't just write vegan. Some people tell me if vegan isn't a swear word you don't have to spell it veg*n.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
oddly enough, "vegetarian" is all inclusive in that already infers "vegan" as well.

As in "I love veg*ns!!!1111lololl!!asterisksRfun!!1" = I love vegetarians and vegans = I love vegetarians.

Heres another example!!

"I love ani*ogsllll!!!" *= "I love animals and dogs" = "I love animals"

*all dogs are animals, but not all animals are dogs

*all vegans are vegetarian, but not all vegetarians are vegan

*all LO vegetarians are vegetarian, but not all vegetarians are lacto-ovo vegetarians.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

oddly enough, "vegetarian" is all inclusive in that already infers "vegan" as well.

As in "I love veg*ns!!!1111lololl!!asterisksRfun!!1" = I love vegetarians and vegans = I love vegetarians.

Heres another example!!

"I love ani*ogsllll!!!" *= "I love animals and dogs" = "I love animals"

*all LO vegetarians are vegetarian, but not all vegetarians are lacto-ovo vegetarians.
I disagree, as I think 'vegetarian' is often used to refer to 'lacto-ovo-vegetarian'. That's why we had a "vegan & vegetarian" forum or something like that on VB.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Troub is correct. Vegans are a sort of vegetarian, though not all vegetarians are vegan. Do I have to explain the concept of "sets and subsets" one more time?

ETA: No, I can't be bothered explaining it, so here's a link to a little concept called "set theory".

http://library.thinkquest.org/C0126820/setsubset.html

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Do I have to explain the concept of "sets and subsets" one more time?
Don't attempt to play teacher when you don't even know what this issue is about.

'Veg*n' is not equal to 'vegetarian', as the former can be interpreted only in one way and the latter in two ways: either as referring to i) all those who don't eat meat, or ii) lacto-ovo-vegetarians. To find evidence for my claim, just take a look at how people use the term. As an example that I already mentioned, VB had a forum called "vegans and vegetarians" or something to that effect. Other examples abound on this board, e.g. in threads asking what vegans think of vegetarians. This board offers especially relevant evidence since in studying the usage of veg*nism-related terms it is the veg*n community we should listen to, and this board represents that community.

One could claim that these examples are simply incorrect usage, but I see the usage as far too widespread for such a claim to make much sense.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
*shrug* It is an incorrect usage of the term, like it or not. All vegans are vegetarians, but not all vegetarians are vegans. I don't know how much more simple the concept can get. Just because you are vegetarian does not mean you have to eat eggs and dairy, any more than every single meat eater out there has to eat pork. Veg*n does refer to vegans, dietary vegans, strict vegetarians, ovo-vegetarians, lacto-vegetarians and ovo-lacto-vegetarians, I've never said it didn't. What I'm disagreeing with is you claiming the word "vegetarian" means someone who eats eggs and dairy simply because not all vegetarians do. Just eschewing eggs and dairy does not make one vegan. The difference comes from extending ones dietary restrictions to all aspects of one's life.

Veg*n is not in common usage, it's pretty much limited to this and a couple of other message boards. VB is the only place I've ever seen people say vegans are not vegetarians.

As troub said...

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:

They are an incorrect usage of the term, like it or not.
I guess we have to agree to disagree on that.

Quote:
All vegans are vegetarians, but not all vegetarians are vegans. I don't know how much more simple the concept can get.
It probably can't get much simpler. So how about not repeating it since your set-theoretical mantra has no relevance to the issue at hand.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:

What I'm disagreeing with is you claiming the word "vegetarian" means someone who eats eggs and dairy simply because not all vegetarians do.
I claim that it can mean either non-meat-eaters generally or lacto-ovos specifically, depending on the context.

Quote:
Just eschewing eggs and dairy does not make one vegan. The difference comes from extending ones dietary restrictions to all aspects of one's life.
Nor have I claimed otherwise.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
OK. Agree to disagree and I'll try and stop my irritating habit of vehemently arguing a point I'm not really all that vehement on.
(Gods did I spell that right? Up too early in the morning to spell).

Seriously though, VB (and a couple of other message boards I've visited once or twice) is the only place I encounter this and I've been veg*#$%!n quite a long time now.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I encounter it in "real life", too. For example, a vegan friend who says "I'll be vegetarian for the weekend" when she's traveling and can't find vegan options.

Until there is a facile term meaning "non-vegan vegetarian", "vegetarian" will get pressed into service in such situations. It happens in other areas of language, too, where there is no special word for a set from which a subset is excluded. For example, nearly everyone would say that their spouse/lover is also their friend, but we still use "friend" in some contexts to mean a friend as distinguished from a lover. Or the way "drama" is sometimes used in contrast with "comedy", even though comedy is a type of drama.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
To me, a vegetarian is anyone who doesn't eat any meat, regardless of what the rest of their diet is. I am a vegetarian. I am also a vegan.

I think that in general day to day conversations, 'vegetarian' is more useful to me than 'vegan' unless the person I am discussing the topic with needs more information (such as a server at a restaurant) or is interested enough in the topic to get a bit deeper into the conversation. If someone asks me if I am vegetarian, I will simply answer yes, and I do not feel to correct them on the point that I am also a vegan.

However, on vegetarian message boards, 'vegetarian' seems to be the common term for lacto ovo vegetarians as opposed to vegans (or other forms of vegetarians) as the audience understands the difference. In the case of a thread asking what vegans think of vegetarians, it is understood that the poster means lacto ovo vegetarians.

That's just my two cents.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hahaha that's what I thought. Like, messageboard people say swear works with an asterik (sp?) where some letters are supposed to be. lol. baaaad people
lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts