VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently turned vegetarian and am taking the whole lifestyle very seriously. I have been able to find veg*n friendly shampoos, conditioners and shower gels.

I have yet to find a veg*n deodorant which is also eco friendly.

Does such a thing exist apart from the deodorant stones? And are the deodorant stones effective?

·
Registered
166 Posts
http://www.goodguide.com/categories/...ntiperspirants

This site is awesome. There's a filter for not tested on animals, which inlcudes PETA's "stamp of approval". I've purchased and am currently using a stone with the brand name "Crystal" and it's worked well to stop the smell, but it's not an antiperspirant, so I don't think it does much for sweating.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that

I forgot to mention I live in the UK, so I would appreciate it if anyone knows of a good website, like that for the UK?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I use Mitchum, which I know is not animal tested, but probably does not qualify as eco friendly and I'm not sure if it's 100% vegan.

I have tried several brands of vegan/natural deodorant (Lush, Tom's of Maine, and a few others) and honestly Mitchum is the best I've been able to do so far in terms of finding something (somewhat) animal-friendly that actually works for me. But Lush and Tom's of Maine are definitely ones to try, maybe they'll work better for you than they did for me. One of the better ones I tried was Lush Aromaco, which works reasonably well, if you don't mind reeking of patchouli.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
I've been using the stones for almost twenty years. They actually work better for me than any of the conventional deos I used to use.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I use Tom's of Maine. I didn't know they had been bought out. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that. Mitchum I've used and it's also good.
now I want to try the stones...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have used the stones but prefer the spray salts. You do sweat with the salt deodorants but the smell is minimized. I would recommend going to a natural/health food store and just reading labels. You could also look up how to make your own deodorant at home. I am thinking about trying some that are made with baking soda and coconut oil (I don't remember the exact recipe).

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I'm having no luck at all with alternatives.
I was hoping to find a new brilliant answer. The above listed just haven't worked for me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use Tom's and Trader Joe's products.
Lush is my ultimate favorite, when I can get into the city!
I find their block conditioner leaves my hair greasy. Then again, I stopped using conditioner in general.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've used Mitchum - as far as I know, it is vegan, and I think the only antiperspirant that is. However, I got a Thai Deodorant Stone for Christmas, and I've been using that 95% of the time now. Surprisingly, it actually works. I was really happy. It is like $10 for one, however, I've barely made a dent in the one I've been using at least twice a day (i work out mid day) in 3 months, so clearly it will last a while and be cost effective.
I've tried Tom's of Maine too, and the Long Lasting kind was okay, the regular did nothing for me - I smelled musty. Gross.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I use Mitchum, which I know is not animal tested, but probably does not qualify as eco friendly and I'm not sure if it's 100% vegan.

I have tried several brands of vegan/natural deodorant (Lush, Tom's of Maine, and a few others) and honestly Mitchum is the best I've been able to do so far in terms of finding something (somewhat) animal-friendly that actually works for me. But Lush and Tom's of Maine are definitely ones to try, maybe they'll work better for you than they did for me. One of the better ones I tried was Lush Aromaco, which works reasonably well, if you don't mind reeking of patchouli.
I have used Mitchum for ages because it's been the only thing that works for me. I recently bought Lush's Aromaco and I love the smell of patchouli, but it did not help me at all in regards to BO. I think I'm going try baking soda with it and see what that does. Unless I shouldn't?

Oh, and I've also tried Origins Spray on Deodorant. It's pricey, but it's the only thing that I've found that works for me besides Mitchum. http://www.origins.com/product/3817/...nic/index.tmpl

·
Registered
27 Posts
The crystal deodorant works well for me so far. I was pretty sceptical at first, but it keeps smells at bay. It's only a deodorant, not an antiperspirant though, so I do still sweat, but if I'm honest the though of blocking my sweat was quite off-putting anyway. That's the only reason I changed from Mitchum, which is excellent at stopping me sweating almost completely.

We'll see if the crystal holds up when the summer hits! If not, I'm interested in trying some of Lush's deodorant.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Florere is so great. I thought I'd ever be able to stop using those nasty aluminum antiperspirants. I had found that layering a zinc cream, crystal spray, and tea tree powder worked well but what a messy hassle. I saw Florere at Karmavore, a vegan store in Vancouver, and thought it won't hurt trying it. The ingredients looked ordinary, but the combination is so effective. Im surprised its not popular, but it is a small company with only like 3 products and theyre only in some small specialty stores. It might be worth a try, I'm sure glad I did. I use the stick form because I don't like to use my fingers to so read the product.

Stick ingredients: Hydrating and protective cocoa (theobrama cacao) butter. Soothing unrefined Shea (Butyrospermum parkii) butter - Naturally occurring earth mineral deodorizer - sodium bicarbonate. Derived from dried corn kernels - cornstarch - soothes and freshens. Palm tree (copernica cerifera) wax - hand milled and naturally processed. Coconut (cocos nucifera) oil - moisturizing and restorative. Essential oils of lavender (lavandula augustifolia), (salvia sclarea) clary sage. Tincture of lemon balm, lavender flowers and ecologically wildharvested benzoin (healing, antioxidant, and preservative.); and nothing else.

Cream ingredients: Soothing unrefined Shea (Butyrospermum parkii) butter - Naturally occurring earth mineral deodorizer - sodium bicarbonate. Derived from dried corn kernels - cornstarch - soothes and freshens. Hydrating and protective cocoa (theobrama cacao) butter, coconut (cocos nucifera) oil - moisturizing and restorative. Essential oils of lavender (lavandula augustifolia), (salvia sclarea) clary sage. Tincture of lemon balm, lavender flowers and ecologically wildharvested benzoin (healing, antioxidant, and preservative.); and nothing else.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Like Surferchick, I use Florere. I'm a sweaty, outdoorsy girl. This stuff gets me through a session of rock climbing, no problem. It doesn't irritate my skin or dry it out like other deodorants. The only drawback is that its a bit pricey (about $7).
http://www.florere.com/

·
Registered
92 Posts
I liked Tom's of Maine unscented at FIRST, until i started noticing my underarms turning red and peeling. So I am looking to try a stone and see if it works. Thanks for the link earlier, btw.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i use crystal too. i dont sweat much and even if i did i wouldn't use antiperspirant because i'm terrified of what it will do under my skin.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I use the stones/PitRok, etc. too and it works fine. I still sweat sometimes, but the odor is gone. OH likes Toms of Maine roll-on the best. I too worry about antiperspirant because well, our bodies are made to sweat yeah?

To the OP, you might have some luck hunting here: http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/. Also Superdrug doesn't test and labels which items are vegan, so it's pretty easy peasy to shop there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts