VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found and article on the BBC website which states that a Vegan childhood is harmful... Some strange scientist took it upon herself to do this research! However I have spoken to many people who have brought their children up vegan and they are so healthy.

The article even went as far to say that the children may end up retarded!

The American Association for the Advancement of Science agreed with the research stating "there is no question that it is completely unethical for parents to bring up their kids as strict vegans"

!!!! Who are they to comment on ethics of individual parents???

Oh and to make matters worse the survey for the research was taken place in an african village where the children were malnourished.

Phoney results then??

What do you guys think of this??

Here is the article -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4282257.stm

·
Registered
487 Posts
This article seems to be just opinion and nothing else.

Quote:
There have been sufficient studies clearly showing that when women avoid all animal foods, their babies are born small, they grow very slowly and they are developmentally retarded, possibly permanently.
I was a vegetarian when I was pregnant. My baby was 10 lbs. My sister had a 9 lb baby as a vegetarian. My meat eating sister had 2 6lb babies.

My vegan daughter has grown perfectly since birth and is a bright, healthy 6 year old. She is slim and fit when most of her peers are overweight.

Quote:
Research she carried out among African schoolchildren suggests as little as two spoonfuls of meat each day is enough to provide nutrients such as vitamin B12, zinc and iron.
My vegan daughter just went to the doctors for a blood test to check her levels and they all came out perfect. Her b12, iron etc. The doctor also said she is growing perfectly.

As a vegetarian child my iron was always high.

Quote:
The 544 children studied had been raised on diets chiefly consisting of starchy, low-nutrition corn and bean staples lacking these micronutrients.
Not the healthiest vegan diet, is it? Where are the greens and fruits? I am confident most vegans do not only feed their children corn and beans.

Quote:
Professor Allen stressed that although the study (which was partially supported by the National Cattleman's Beef Association) was conducted in a poor African community that was malnourished, its message was highly relevant to people in developed countries.
Well that says it all! Partially funded by the NCBA! Give me a break..

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I think I've seen this study refuted somewhere before.

Anyway. The children were already malnourished, and they continued to be so during the study. There's no question that meat and cows' milk contains essential nutrients, which is really all that this study shows. It does not show that a vegan diet is bad - it shows that malnourishment is bad. For example, the "vegan" group (those whoe were not given meat or dairy) had no source of B12 in their diet. If the study had been done in a developed country with healthy children, maybe her findings would have been different...

I think the study is unethical (using malnourished third-world country children as guniea pigs) and the conclusions are flawed. Also, the study was supported by the National Cattleman's Beef Association. How very interesting.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yep. I remember that study too. I think my dad reacted to it. He's a scientist and used to give nutrition courses at the university. He immediately pointed out that the study was flawed from the start and that the "test" diet they gave these poor children was unbalanced as such, not a standard example of a balanced vegan diet at all. He and his colleagues found out that the lady who originally conducted the African study was paid/subsidized by the cattleman's association (and maybe also by the dairy board ?? I don't remember)! Oops !

It's a while ago so I don't remember all the details. I am quite surprised that allegations are still made which are based on this study, which is a few years old and has been refuted by nutritionists all over the world... The lady who conducted the study even wrote to my dad apologizing for the "misuse" of her data or something of that order. She did recognize there was a flaw !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol

I am starting to see how bad the media are.. I was so blind before now.

Can't believe the BBC put up such a flawed reasearch topic.

It really is awful how the have used these poor african kids for their study.

It's just sick really.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmoonbeam View Post

lol

Can't believe the BBC put up such a flawed reasearch topic.
Me either. I usually seek out their articles and news reports because I've always viewed them as extremely unbiased and trustworthy. Maybe it's time that I find a new news source.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Tova said:
Not the healthiest vegan diet, is it? Where are the greens and fruits? I am confident most vegans do not only feed their children corn and beans.

QUOTE]

I know many meat-eating kids don't eat veggies and fruit as much either but they'd never say that was unhealthy like meat balances out not having veggies. LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
"The US Agricultural Research Service is part of the US Department of Agriculture. "

"the study (which was partially supported by the National Cattleman's Beef Association)"

These 2 statements prove that this article is biased and untruthful. Both the USDA and the NCBA rely on meat eating and animal slaughter as a source of income. You can't honestly expect a group of people.....who have a vested [monitary] intrest in the outcome of the study....to maintain any degree of scientific integrity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also the children in this study were malnurished not because their parents were vegan but because they were living in proverty. No vegan exists on a diet of "starchy, low-nutrition corn and bean staples". Seriousley EVERY vegan diet is much more well balanced then that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts