VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I'd love to see more of are normal, average veg*an characters in tv and movies.
They are very rare! Usually if there is a veg character in a show they're the 'cooky' one. Like phoebe in friends who's portrayed as rather strange and not all that bright.
Or they're practically terrorists, they're activists to the extreme and shown as utterly unreasonable and out-there.
Or various other stereotypes where they are sickly or whatever. House, much as I like the show, has had a number of patients who were sick because of their veg*an lifestyle.
The sort of scene I'd love to see more of is, for example a cop show.
Two cops go up to a hot dog vendor.

Cop one : Want one? Joe's Chillie dogs are the best in town!
Cop two: no thanks
Cop one: you sure. I'm buying.
Cop two : No I'm a vegetarian.
Cop one :Ah, okay.

End of scene, no discussion no strong reaction. Just normal, as if it's perfectly mundane for a normal person to happen to be veg.
I would also love to see veg characters in shows being shown to cook appetising food, rather that just salads (not that there's anything wrong with salad, but no one wants to eat it all the time)

So can you guys give me examples of shows/movies that have 'normal' veg characters? Characters defined by other than their vegetarianism? Where being veg just happens to be part of who they are.

My mother really likes a show called 'judge John Deed', she says there are main characters who are veg*an (the main character is played by Martin Shaw, who is a vegan in real life) I have yet to see it though, but I hear it's good.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
A lot of characters from Star Trek are vegetarians, especially Commander Chakotay in Voyager. In fact I believe even the "meat" in Star Trek is synthesized (besides Klingon meat, I mean).

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

A lot of characters from Star Trek are vegetarians, especially Commander Chakotay in Voyager. In fact I believe even the "meat" in Star Trek is synthesized (besides Klingon meat, I mean).
I used to think he was good-looking.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Quote:

In fact I believe even the "meat" in Star Trek is synthesized (besides Klingon meat, I mean).
Totally. When he first came aboard the Enterprise, Worf's brother was all, "I will try your burnt, replicated bird meat."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:

Vulcans are generally all vegetarians by choice (except some outlaws). T'Pol on Enterprise actually says in the very first episode: "You humans claim to be enlightened, yet you till consume the flesh of animals [...] You have yet to embrace either patience or logic, you remain impulsive carnivores".

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I used to think he was good-looking.
He is. If I wasn't married I might go out with him.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattie View Post

The sort of scene I'd love to see more of is, for example a cop show.
Two cops go up to a hot dog vendor.

Cop one : Want one? Joe's Chillie dogs are the best in town!
Cop two: no thanks
Cop one: you sure. I'm buying.
Cop two : No I'm a vegetarian.
Cop one :Ah, okay.

End of scene, no discussion no strong reaction. Just normal, as if it's perfectly mundane for a normal person to happen to be veg.
This reminds me of a scene from the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The new high school principal offers Buffy a job, and she asks him why he'd want her working at the school. She jokingly asks "You were impressed with my work at Double Meat Palace?" (fast food place where she worked, which was a recurring joke through much of the previous season). He responds "I'm a vegetarian", and then continues with the rest of the conversation, and it's never mentioned again.

--Fromper

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yeah I'd forgotten that buffy scene, nice. And also the Star Trek characters- it's good to think of a future that is so enlightened. Now need it on more 'mainstream' shows (not that I'm not a huge scifi fan)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The main character in "Year of the Dog" and nearly everyone in "Bold Native"

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

This reminds me of a scene from the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The new high school principal offers Buffy a job, and she asks him why he'd want her working at the school. She jokingly asks "You were impressed with my work at Double Meat Palace?" (fast food place where she worked, which was a recurring joke through much of the previous season). He responds "I'm a vegetarian", and then continues with the rest of the conversation, and it's never mentioned again.

--Fromper
That made me super happy too

I'm obsessed with "Avatar: The Last Air Bender" right now, has anyone else ever seen this show? It's for kids but it's so well made I think anyone would find it awesome.

Aang, the main character, is an awesome super hero 12 year old who is destined to save the world and he's very much a vegetarian. I'm halfway through season 2 right now and there were two times he said "No thanks, I don't eat meat" in a casual way and another time he made a sarcastic comment about how cozy a house full of dead animal pelts is.

The creators of the show are definitely vegetarians, atheists too apparently because the episodes frequently have a lesson in them about the importance of using your head and thinking critically rather than blindly following superstition. I'm incredibly happy kids are watching stuff like this

·
Registered
888 Posts
Mac in Veronica Mars is vegan in season 1, although there isn't plot continuity with this later in season 3.

In online BBC cheesy teen drama 'the switch', Marla is a vegan, although it is hinted that she previously had or still has an ED.

The Braceface cartoon deals with vegetarianism really well, there was an episode recently which dealt with people who sneak you meat, bad medical advice and the amazing nutritional information that can be found on the Internet

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My roommate was watching a show called Breakout Kings the other day, and three of the main characters are convicted criminals who do work-release for US Marshals... I think?

In any case, they see a coupon thing for a free steak dinner, and the US Marshals tell them the one who helps the most with the case will win it. All three of them spend the entire episode DROOLING over the prospect of a steak (which was beginning to irritate me) and at the end, the one who wins takes the coupon and quotes Proverbs 15:17 and says "Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith."

One of the other two cons realizes she has been competing with them for the steak dinner coupon the whole time but doesn't actually want it and says, "You're a vegetarian..." and she says, "Yeah, I'm a vegetarian who likes to win. Suck it." And then she tears up the coupon.

I admit, it made me happy.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Isn't "Bones" vegan or at least vegetarian?

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

The Doctor's not a vegetarian, he eats fish fingers and custard :p
This one says the Time Lords are, although I've only seen a few episodes so I'm not too familiar with what they eat.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts