VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know....

that the Compost Heap used to be called "Polite Debate"?

A month after starting, there were 24 registered VBers. When I joined, there were just over a thousand. As of this morning, there are 17,122.

Those first brave pioneers had to make do with just 5 smilies:

\tsmile\t

\tfrown\t

\tembarrassment\t

\tbig grin\t

\twink

A popular early thread consisted of members professing the prowess of their well, members. The thread included a poem re: the subject by our own soilman.

Back in April '01, Michael was ready to give the site away!

The infamous snow-ducks made their debut in the winter of 03-04.

Dead forums include The Tailgate Party, and the Men's Forum.

The first VeBoCon was in August 2003. Sadly, the 2006 event failed to come together (but that's all changing this year!)

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
One correction - Michael did hand over control of the site in 2001 to Stargoat. After I turned Stargoat into a mumbling, quaking bowl of jelly one two many times, Michael took the site back.

A couple of other tidbits-

-One of VB's first mods was an omnivore. (Alexie)

- The
smilie was originally known as the "hat" smilie ( :hat: ) on the original board. The
smilie followed a year or two later.

- VB was originally grew as a ragtag band of rebels fighting the oppression of www.vegsource.com . (Note to the Nelsons: VB won.)

- At one point in 2001, Michael proposed voting troublemakers "off of the island." For some reason, he was surprised when Tame received votes. Really, he was.

-At one time, calling a fellow member a "trick" was acceptable behavior.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
More:

-The green bars under your user name indicated your number of posts. All 5 blocks were lit when you reached 1,000 posts. This was the origination of the slut threads we still have.

-The original slut threads were the "wanking threads." We had those here, and some still existed a while back, but for some reason a mod went and closed some of them for being inappropriate.

-Dragonfly holds the record of being the most abused and craziest VBer ever. And my friends, that is saying a lot.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Dragonfly got it worse than Gemnyst/Wyldfyre? Cuz he was getting the **** kicked out of him on a regular basis when I joined in 2002...

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Yep. Gemnuts got more over time, but DF was so flippin' crazy that he would just get pounded in waves.

The DF Drinking Game I created was classic.

You missed the best adventures of Gemnuts. At VO, he would post about how he would do his gymnastics routine in front of omnis to make their girlfriends jealous about how athletic vegetarians were. He would then rant about how omnis ate meat because they masturbated too much.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Wow, this brings back some memories.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Misty-watered colored memories?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
No, mostly yowza-I've-been-here-a-long-time memories and I-still-can-hardly-believe-some-of-the-stupid-****-I-pulled-when-I-was-18 memories. I sounded like such a dork.

Nobody agree with me.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

No, mostly yowza-I've-been-here-a-long-time memories and I-still-can-hardly-believe-some-of-the-stupid-****-I-pulled-when-I-was-18 memories. I sounded like such a dork.

Nobody agree with me.
I've enjoyed your dorkiness for many years now...

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

He would then rant about how omnis ate meat because they masturbated too much.
...that makes sense.

I was reading my interview thread... oh my goodness, I've changed. I swear, I hope people don't look at mine and think I'm a whiny 16 year old girl

11,550 Posts
having read soilmans poem, i now feel that i need to go and wash my brain out with soapy water, before i can safely veiw his avatar or read his posts ever again.

i bet i'm gonna have weird nightmares about throbbing phallic lighthouses now too. i really wish my brain didn't create such memorable mental images to go with things i read.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Ahhhh...I remember the first VB board war. All sparked because I mentioned the Nelson children at Vegsource were a little pasty. Man, did that get ugly.

I think we had to put VS invasions in check a couple of time.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

...that makes sense.

I was reading my interview thread... oh my goodness, I've changed. I swear, I hope people don't look at mine and think I'm a whiny 16 year old girl
*searches up Cissy's old interview*

1 - 20 of 40 Posts