1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Silk soy milk recalled after cleaner contamination

Reuters, 04.16.03, 6:22 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Dean Foods Co. unit White Wave said Wednesday it is recalling 35,000 cases of its 64 ounce/half gallon cartons of Vanilla Silk brand soymilk after discovering some of the cartons were contaminated with a material used to clean and sanitize manufacturing equipment.

The contamination was discovered after customers complained of a strong smell or taste in their soy milk, said White Wave spokesman David Margulies.

Consumers who drank the soymilk and experienced burning, nausea or other symptoms should contact a health care provider, the company said in a statement.

"We are not aware of any serious health affects so far," said Margulies.

The voluntary recall affects only cases dated June 17, 2003 or June 18, 2003 and coded H CD-70 or J CD-70. No other sizes or flavors of Vanilla Silk, Silk or White Wave products are involved in the recall, the company said. The cases were distributed throughout the United States, according to Margulies.

White Wave, the country's largest soyfood manufacturer and a wholly owned subsidiary of Dean Foods, said it has contacted its distributors and stores and ordered the product removed from store shelves. Consumers should return any soymilk with the specified codes to place of purchase for a refund.

Copyright 2003, Reuters News Service
http://www.forbes.com/business/newsw...rtr942839.html

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
MsRuthieB- you might want to know that 8th Continent Soymilk uses genetically modified soybeans developed by DuPont. Scary. 8th Continent's vitamin D is D3 from sheep wool so it's not vegan too.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Interesting.

If I had a choice between eating soymilk contaminated with enough cleaning fluid that I could taste it, and soymilk made with genetically modified soybeans -- I think I might prefer the genetically modified soybeans -- but all in all -- we need to establish our own vegan-owned manfucturing companies, so we are not dependent on non-vegans for our sustenance. I have been saying this over and over and over. Since we all must eat to survive, whoever has power over food, has power over everyone. Despite claims that people make that "industrialists" or "finance administrators" is where "money and power" come from, the real truth is that who ever has control of the food supply has the most power. The real power is in the hands of farmers.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I think that probably the reason the United states is powerful and materially successful is because it grows enough food, and more, for all of its people. Of course it imports food, but it would have no probem if suddenly it could no longer import food. The illusion that US industry is behind the US's material and military success is due to the fact that industrial farm and food-preparation machinery is an important reason for its agricultural success -- that, and the fact that the federal government's policies make sure there is always enough food.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
In short, I believe Vegans must own the means of production of soy milk. We should try to acquire it by non-violent methods (that is, by buying it) if at all possible, but if that is not possible, we must use military force to acquire soymilk production factories. Perhaps it sounds funny to say "we should acquire control over the production of soymilk by whatever means necessary" but I am teally pretty serious about this.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I agree Soilman. I buy Edensoy soymilks. They seem very committed to organic agriculture. I have my own soymilk maker, but I buy Edensoy Extra since it is fortified for my son. There is just something wrong with DuPont soymilk.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Punkmommy writes "They [edensoy] seem very committed to organic agriculture."

I would not be at all surprised if smilk from organically grown soybeans tastes better, and has a better nutrient profile without the addition of industrially produced micronutrients, than a DuPont brand. And I would probably prefer to buy Edensoy. But I am quite convinced that overall, organic agriculture contributes more to animal suffering than economic-technology agriculture. Organic farming is completely intertwined with animal husbandry; economic-technolgy agriculture is not. What we need is scientifically-informed soil-sustaining and evironmentally-informed veganic agriculture. We don't need all that blood meal and animal excrement dumped on farm land; it is not any healthier for the environment than dumping industrially-produced nitrogen on the land. Modern insecticides, when used properly, are much less harmful to the environment than older insectides such as DDT. Synthetic pyrethrins are just as effective and just as safe as natural pyrethrins -- but organic growing doesn't allow their use -- makes no sense. It is just a belief-system. Good food can and should be grown using scientific methods -- however the science must be directed toward how to grow tastier more nutritious food, not directed, as it often is now, only toward or primarily toward how to grow the food by the method that hs the least expense and the most income.

I am largely against the concept of "organic" agriculture and for the concept of scientific agriculture. But again, you can use science for anything. I want the science directed toward maximizing nutrition, maximizing flavor, minimizing harm to the environment, and maximizing profit -- and with a good balance between 4 uses of science.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'm waiting for the centre for consumer freedom to pick this story up and start nitpicking about how vegetarian food can be contaminated.

And soilman, the probelm is that soymilk companies may indeed be started by vegans, or at least run by people interested in veganism. But as the market grows, because of lactose intolerance and oher factors, capitalism dictates that large food distributors get in on the act, so you can expect corporate takeovers. In these, the founders of a company may be powerless when it comes to selling the company to a larger one.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Loki writes

"But as the market grows, because of lactose intolerance and oher factors, capitalism dictates that large food distributors get in on the act, so you can expect corporate takeovers. In these, the founders of a company may be powerless when it comes to selling the company to a larger one."

Huh? You've lost me. In any case, private corporations, where the stock is not traded publicly, cannot be "taken over." If you don't want to sell stock to someone -- you don't have to. While private trading may possibly be limiting in regard to how large a corporation can grow, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Limiting the size may enable limiting its ownership to vegans. If it grows too big, you would have to distribute stock to non-vegans, only because the number of vegans in the world is too limited, and there are no vegans left to sell stock too. I don't believe in the "you must continually grow" idea.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
In fact I would suggest that vegan-owned corporation not be publicly traded. Nor do I necessarily even envision them as for-profit. I believe not-for-profit corps can manfacture and sell and make a profit on sales, and by not distributing the profits to stockholders, remain not-for-profit. Further, managers and directors could be salaried, with nice salaries, and no-one taking home a "profit" (salaries are expenses of a corp, as opposed to profits of a corp). So the business can help people earn a living by providing them with nice salaries, even tho it makes no profit for the business, or even tho the profit is not distributed, but is rather kept in the form of undistributed assets. I read an accounting 101 and 102 text.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Loki writes

"I'm waiting for the centre for consumer freedom to pick this story up and start nitpicking about how vegetarian food can be contaminated."

I don't think that will happen. This is typical bull**** that can happen with any product, and probably has. I'm sure Dean Food would be able to point that out. AT any rate, most people will consider this to be a reflection upon Dean Food, not on "vegetarian foods." And Dean food probably makes non-vegetarian food too. There is no reason the exact same thing wouldn't happen to a non-vegetarian product that they make, or to a dairy product that they make.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

Loki writes

"I'm waiting for the centre for consumer freedom to pick this story up and start nitpicking about how vegetarian food can be contaminated."

I don't think that will happen. This is typical bull**** that can happen with any product, and probably has. I'm sure Dean Food would be able to point that out. AT any rate, most people will consider this to be a reflection upon Dean Food, not on "vegetarian foods." And Dean food probably makes non-vegetarian food too. There is no reason the exact same thing wouldn't happen to a non-vegetarian product that they make, or to a dairy product that they make.
Dean does distribute non-vegetarian products: http://www.deanfoods.com/

Of course, I mean vegetarian in the strictest sense, since it seems their primary focus is dairy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think White Wave is a good company, and their Silk Original Organic Soymilk is the best tasting soymilk I have EVER had (in the 6 years of being vegan). I use it to drink, on cereal, and baking... I am so grateful that Silk is around, or I would not drink as much soymilk as I do (I easily go through a 64 oz. carton/week). White Wave works with farmers that are making the transition to organic production. I think this is a very important thing to do as it encourages others to switch to organic agriculture. Anyway, just because they are owned by another corporation does not mean that they are not good in themselves. There are a lot of worse companies out there!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
well basically, what happens is these companies tend to get swallowed up by larger companies. I'm no expert on business. I was lucky enough to have corporate takeovers explained to me in laymens terms once, so I have a small grasp on why these companies may end up being swallowed up by huge multi-nationals.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
So am I correct in assuming that it is only the half gallon vanilla soy milks that are affected? I buy mine in the quart size and would prefer not to return them if I don't have to do so.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Right, it is only SOME of the 64 oz. Vanilla Silk Soy Milk (half-gallon cartons- refrigerated) that are effected. Check the exparation dates on WhiteWave's website to see exactly which batches are effected.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ah man, that sucks! Very Vanilla Silk was the greatest tasting soy milk I ever had right now. Why do most vegan foods always have to receive more criticism than non-vegan(esp. goat's milk and chicken eggs) foods do? What's up with this messed-up and ignorant society we have today?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts