VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice on selling vegan products. I have a physical and an online store in Canada selling specialty footwear including Kigo and Xero Shoes. I'm very interested in a product line made in India call Ecowings.
ecowings.in

I received samples and am very pleased with the quality of the work and the look of the product. Everything is made from recycled inner tubes, the workers are paid fairly and work under decent conditions, Peta has approved them.
The problem? I'm getting the sense that people are not willing to pay what it is worth. There is this sense that since its recycled it should be cheaper.
Somehow people feel okay about spending $200 or more on a well crafted leather briefcase but not $100 on a recycled tire briefcase that was produced without cruelty and benefits the planet.

What do you think? Are the customers there for this product and if so where?
I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this question.
Thanks,
Leslie
cooleastmarket.com

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, but I suspect there is a cultural myth that leather "lasts longer" and is more environmentally friendly. Though this is far from the truth, I sense this line of thinking in comments people make. As a vegan I would jump for the opportunity to look at your product line! I have several shoes that are made ethically and with recycled material/fair trade. But I am an ethical vegan and that seems to be the group in the market for these types of shoes. Maybe if you could convince people of the environmental benefits of these shoes you might pull in a larger crowd willing to pay more. Just my limited educational theory on this subject!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comments

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond.

I think you made a good point. It's kind of an unconscious bias against recycled products. The idea may be that it came apart once already when they made it and it could come apart again. Another unconscious bias may be that people in India work for less and their products should be cheaper and of less quality.

In this case, part of my responsibility as a vendor should be to educate people that recycled products can be sturdy and that everyone deserves a living wage and good conditions.

You may have thought that you didn't answer my question but you gave me some good ideas to think about. I really appreciate it.

I'm still thinking about it and if I decide to sell them will make an announcement on the appropriate board.

Thanks,
Leslie
cooleastmarket.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts