VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal. Through my job, I won a trip the Dominican Republic, more specifically, in Punta Cana(not 100% sure on the details, but I think that's where it'll be). I'm really excited about going, because I love to travel and see new places, but I can't really afford to ever do so. The only place outside Canada I've ever been to is to Scotland two years ago to be with my husband (boyfriend at the time), and circumstances were that we were able to pool our resources and his mother helped us get there.

What I'm wondering is: Has anyone ever been there? How easy/hard is it to eat a vegetarian diet over there?

I'll be there for a week in February, and it will be as a group with other people working with my company from other cities (so they will be strangers, that I imagine I'll get fast acquainted with), so I'm not sure how much freedom I'll have to move around and do my own thing.

I'll post more details as I know them, but for now my questions are:

How easy is it to get a vegetarian meal in restaurants there? And will I have to learn Spanish (I plan to brush up on my high school Spanish a bit to relearn some of the more common phrases)? If not, do people there in the tourism industry know English more or French apart from Spanish. I know that Haiti is there neighbour to the West and they speak French more than English I think.

Ahh, so much to know...

·
Banned
136 Posts
You'll probably be @ an All Inclusive and be able to cruise the buffets for fruit and bread.

It's Spanish speaking country that's seriously impoverished-guests @ AI s are often discouraged from leaving the resort and this is enforced with high walls and armed guards-who can't actually stop you from leaving but like to give the impression they are there to 'protect you'.

If you have strong stomach have a look @ http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/.

Debbie used to brag she'd never left a resort @ night haven't been to her site for ages so I have no idea-I know she a regular visitors who doesn't speak 10 words of Spanish.

http://dr1.com/ is a better source for balanced info but is strongly slanted toward white middle aged males and their particular concerns.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I'm aware that I'll be at a resort away from the locals. I will be curious as to what it's like 'on the outside', but I will be mainly there to enjoy the nice weather and my week off from work.

·
Banned
136 Posts
The Spanish speaking Caribbean is a great place to visit if you have some Spanish and a relatively strong stomach.

Poverty is endemic but people are generally kind and accepting-visiting Santo Domingo for a day is a great idea sure it's run down crumbling but you can see where it was once very different.

Don't believe anyone who tells you that visiting the real country is a bad idea-busses run all over the place and while slow they are cheap and safe.

Renting a car and driver is another idea I've done in the past-surprisingly reasonable and easier on the nerves than a rental.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Chances are you will be staying in an All-Inclusive hotel, and you won't have a problem. That doesn't mean that you will have an array of fine vegetarian foods to choose from - just that you won't go hungry!

There is always lots of tropical fruit and fruit juices, basics like rice, potatoes, noodles, a variety of vegetables and chips (that may be fries to you - I'm not sure what Canadians call them!) as well as tomato based sauces you can eat. They will probably also have stuff aimed at Europeans and Americans - so you will probably see things like pizza as well.

You may also find a local shopping area with a supermarket, where you can buy extras if needed.

You could also ask to talk to the chef, and ask him to make you something vegetarian - a tip generally helps here

I always take a few packets of nuts with me when I go away, just in case I get hungry!

We went out of the resort hotel most days, apart from being hassled to buy in every shop we passed, we had no problems at all. Go out with others, rather than by yourself, it's easier and you will get less hassle that way.

You'll find most of the people you mix with will speak English, so you shouldn't have a problem. Although it's always nice to learn a few words in the native language as well.

You'll have a fab time

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

Don't worry about the chips/fries thing, or any other Britishism/Canadianism difference. I'm married to a Brit.

I'm going to find out more details of the trips in a couple of days, including knowing for sure the city I'll be going to. I can't wait!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.