VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, earlier this week, I encountered an ignorant person who said the most stupid thing I have heard in my entire life, and this is including those weird teenage movies/shows with characters made super shallow and stupid for comedy.

I just hope you're not eating anything as you read this.

She said (this is a translation from Korean to English btw) "Mink fur is at its best quality when it is skinned alive"

WTF?!?!?! HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE?!?!?!!? I asked her if she would buy a mink coat. Her reply?

"If it was on sale for really cheap, yes"

ARGHHHHHHHHHH! To make it even worse, as my expression got stormier and stormier, she said

"You only think that way because you're not interested in fashion. If you started liking fashion, you'll like fur too"

I couldn't take it anymore after that. I yelled "I KNOW PLENTY OF PEOPLE WHO LOVE FASHION AND THEY'D NEVER BUY FUR!!!!"

she just said "okay okay! I won't buy the coat!"

Not making me feel better...:'(

The saddest thing of all? No one else in that entire room said anything. Perhaps they "didn't hear" because they were working on their art (it was at an art studio) but I find that hard to believe...Although, when I told my friends at school, they correctly called her a "stupid b***h" and they're omnis

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Wow! At least you spoke up for the animals and didn't let it slide, that's RIDICULOUS.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Maybe they thought that you were handling the situation quite nicely?

·
Registered
961 Posts
maybe somebody should skin her alive and see if her hide looks better that way!!! again another reason that i dislike people prime example. some people have NO concience (i cant spell that word) but i can spell stupid ignorant b***h!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
If she wasn't someone you knew, you could talk about the underground baby skin trade. How supple the purses and coats are that are made from the skin of unwanted babies. How it makes abortion unnecessary, and parents are paid really well to have these babies in secret. Then walk away real quickly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

If she wasn't someone you knew, you could talk about the underground baby skin trade. How supple the purses and coats are that are made from the skin of unwanted babies. How it makes abortion unnecessary, and parents are paid really well to have these babies in secret. Then walk away real quickly.
...are you serious? How much more insane will the world get?!?!?!?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTF View Post

...are you serious? How much more insane will the world get?!?!?!?
Nah, she's not serious.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
lol, its actually not a bad idea. maybe not babies, but fetuses. i wonder if i could get a leather jacket out of fetuses

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
The reason why you see the stunned but still blinking animal being skinned alive in Earthlings is because it's easier to remove the skin from a live body than from a dead one that has gone into rigor mortis. Perhaps the ease of removing it may make the underside of the fur "better?" She may have been referring to something like that. It is common for animals to be skinned alive for the reason above.

If you have never heard of Astrakhan or Karakul fur, that can be made using the fetuses of lambs -

read this
http://www.infurmation.com/pdf/hsuskar01a.pdf
(description from investigation from the Humane Society of taking the fetus from the mother - the mother is killed so the fetus can be cut out of her and used for fur)

and

Quote:
Very young or even fetal Karakul lambs are prized for pelts. Newborn karakul sheep's pelts are called karakul (also spelled caracul), swakara (coined from South West Africa Karakul), astrakhan (Russian), Persian lamb, agnello di Persia, (Italian), krimmer (Russian) and garaköli bagana (Turkmen). Sometimes the terms for newborn lambs' and fetal lambs' pelts are used interchangeably.[2] The newborn lambs have a tight, curly pattern of hair. The lambs must be under three days old when they are killed, or they will lose their black color and soft, tightly worn coils of fur. Dark colors are dominant and lambs often darken in color as they age. Fetal karakul lambs' pelts are called broadtail, breitschwanz (German), and karakulcha. People use the lambs' pelts to create various clothing items, such as the karakul hat.[3] The pelts have been used in haute couture.[4][5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karakul_%28sheep%29

Quote:
Though the hats are unmistakably dashing, the method of their production is a bit stomach-turning. Shepherds in northern Afghanistan slaughter the mother and then remove the fetus, whose downy fur is incredibly smooth because it has never been exposed to the air or sun. Sometimes shepherds wait for the ewe to give birth before killing the lamb.

Each lamb is so small its entire pelt is needed to produce one hat -- and many pelts are needed to make the waist-length karacul coats.

"The best quality hats are made with the fetuses," said Mohammed, "They are extremely soft and they have a special shine to them ... it is as pure as a precious stone."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,51034,00.html

The fur industry is extremely cruel...for a fashion statement.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

The reason why you see the stunned but still blinking animal being skinned alive in Earthlings is because it's easier to remove the skin from a live body than from a dead one that has gone into rigor mortis. Perhaps the ease of removing it may make the underside of the fur "better?" She may have been referring to something like that. It is common for animals to be skinned alive for the reason above.

If you have never heard of Astrakhan or Karakul fur, that can be made using the fetuses of lambs -

read this
http://www.infurmation.com/pdf/hsuskar01a.pdf
(description from investigation from the Humane Society of taking the fetus from the mother - the mother is killed so the fetus can be cut out of her and used for fur)

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karakul_%28sheep%29

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,51034,00.html

The cruel industry is extremely cruel...for a fashion statement.
Congratulations. You've just made wearing fur even less desireable then it was before.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Why wouldn't they put them all under? Then they wouldn't struggle, or suffer as much...
I mean, the handlers already know how to do it with suffering and struggling animals, so that's a dumb expense to them, but...

It's all so gross.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im quite sure she was serious, especially if she's from Korea (no offense, im sure this isnt all Koreans). The way animals are treated in the East is despicable - my friend who lived in Korea for a while told me its common to torture a dog before its killed so you get more 'vigor' from eating it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
that's really dumb. even omnis think fur to be a cruelty of conscience. this lady must be of some alien race. it is commendable that you spoke up for animals specially when no one else did.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieGremlin View Post

Im quite sure she was serious, especially if she's from Korea (no offense, im sure this isnt all Koreans). The way animals are treated in the East is despicable - my friend who lived in Korea for a while told me its common to torture a dog before its killed so you get more 'vigor' from eating it.
it's okay - I know this too. In fact, my friend was telling me about how she was on a vacation in Seoul, and saw this "dog beauty parlour", and in it, they'd do things like shave off all the fur, put them in weird "chic" clothes and give them make-up. She was telling this story in art class, and a (brit) friend commented that someone should've called the SPCA, only to be told by another Korean friend that Korea doesn't really have anything like the SPCA (makes me saaaaaaaad)...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts