VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Raw foods can have several benefits when it comes to diet. Just eating raw is not the only way to benefit. You can use raw foods in other contexts. Here's a list:

• Putting an onion beside your bed to help you breathe better when you have a cold
  • Ginger is a miracle root when it comes to treating pain due to its ant-inflammatory properties. It is widely used in Chinese medicine
  • Banana peels can be used to treat mosquito bites

Here is a discussion that talks about some of these: http://www.talkgreens.com/index.php?topic=45.msg768;topicseen#new

Do you have any more to add to the list? There are tons of medicinal properties in raw foods even outside the context of diet.

This is interesting stuff. Knowing some of these can definitely help balance the pocket book as well by realizing that you don't need to break the bank to get outstanding treatment.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I've been reading up on ginger's anti-inflammatory properties lately, I've had some stress related back and chest pain and I hate taking things like ibuprofen as it's bad for your stomach and probably tested on animals. I want to find ginger capsules somewhere but haven't had any luck so far so in the meantime I've been trying to add more of it to my food. It seems to help but I don't think I'm getting enough of it consistently enough to be able to judge.

Reactions: Purp

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why get capsules? Use fresh raw ginger instead it is much stronger!
When you actually eat the fresh stuff you feel much more of the burn and spiciness.

Get a cheese grater, and grate the ginger, you'll have a bag full of ground ginger.
Putting the grounds into green tea is a good addition. It tastes better than coffee.

Reactions: Purp

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Why get capsules? Use fresh raw ginger instead it is much stronger!
When you actually eat the fresh stuff you feel much more of the burn and spiciness.

Get a cheese grater, and grate the ginger, you'll have a bag full of ground ginger.
Putting the grounds into green tea is a good addition. It tastes better than coffee.
I love fresh ginger it's just hard to consume it in the quantities I'd need for pain relief.

I actually did find some ginger capsules at the health food store though and it seems to be helping a lot! Maybe my serotonin levels are just balancing out since I've been less depressed lately but I've definitely been noticing less aches and pains since I started taking it. I actually haven't had to take any conventional pain killers for a few days now and it's awesome. It helps with nervous stomach too and actually PREVENTS ulcers rather than causing them like ibuprofen or aspirin do. I'd highly recommend it to anybody with inflammation issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts