VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of messed up subject, but does anyone else have a problem re-heating vegetables in a microwave after someone just cookes some meat (hamburger/ham) in it?

I just went to the kitchen, got out food, my mother went in got out ham, she knew I was fixing food to re-heat, and she on purpose had me get her stuff so I couldn't get mine in first. Now I have to wait up to two hours for the smell of ham to leave the microwave before I can eat. And she knows I can't eat something after meat's in there (she's the same way with beef!).

And I was actually hungry... maybe I'll actually eat before 10pm, normally I don't when this happens.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Once my dad defrosted some beef in the microwave before I could reheat my food.
There was blood in the microwave that he didn't even bother to clean! Gross eh? So I took some anti-bacterial cleaner and cleaned the whole thing because of how gross that was to me. It's amazing how he doesn't realize what I go through to be sure my food is fine!

I think there is another microwave from when my bro lived in dorms. I may just pop that out and use it. I plan on getting my own mini fridge because there was chicken blood dripping on the corn tortillas I had. It's really more revolting than they think.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Yes, it does stink it up, but there could be other problems as well.

First, make sure the person who used it was following proper food handling and not letting anything raw splatter around or leak, etc.

Second, the spatters could drip into your food when you reheat the microwave.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My food's stuck on the bottom shelf, fortunetely it's protected (somewhat) from blood dripping on it. Although it hasn't stopped them for getting blood on my stuff before, shame to lose food because of it.

It's almost like a omni way of getting revenge on veg*n's for causing them to buy "healthy" food.

Oh the microwave's a cave with all the spikey things coming down from the ceiling (didn't fell like looking up the name).

·
Registered
828 Posts
hmmm, I've never thought of this. My parents don't eat a lot of meat, but even if they reheat chicken or something, I don't notice a chicken flavour in my food if I use it next.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I always try to get to the microwave first when I'm at work because there's almost always a meat stench after someone else uses it. It really grosses me out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This is too funny....hehehe. Wow, we really are finatics!

I won't put food in a microwave that just heated decaying animal flesh. It is disgusting. I wipe it out and let it sit with the door open for a bit. Even then, it creeps me out to put my food in there. My mother (who I am just staying with temporarily) is fine with it though. She just chuckles....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I never really thought about this before, but fortunately my husband doesn't eat too much meat around the house (fish on the grill sometimes in summer). But, the omnis in your houses are really only hurting themselves with this kind of lax food handling behavior. Both you and themselves can become extremely ill from raw meat and blood festering on other types of food or food storage surfaces. You might want to point out the detriment to themselves because of their behavior, and then you'll benefit too without any overt slams.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With me, they already know, all of us, at one time at least, have had a food service and sanitation liscense from the State of Illinois. Get one of those and they're be no x second rule for eating food off a dropped floor. You even think twice before eating some vegetables!

But they still do it, knowing the problems... Which is why I like it when I'm alone, and they "hate" it. All meat left when they leave get's put in the trash the same day (within the hour), all milk gets dumped. Fridge is emptied and washed and sterilized. It's amazing how clean it smells when only vegetables remain.

I do the same thing with my stuff if blood hits it, well, toss it, then sterilize all surfaces around it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I never notice any smell (except cheese, but it doesn't bother me too much), but I noticed that since I became vegan my roommate doesn't clean out the microwave anymore after she uses it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I think she's leaving bits of cheese in there to freak me out and see if I get pissed (well I do, but I try not to snap).

The dining halls are a different thing there. I cannot stand the smell of fish anymore so whenever they have fish I can't really enjoy my food.

And at the salad bar they always drop cheese into the tomatoes next to it, or they splash the clam chowder into the rice *yuck*

·
Registered
0 Posts
At work, I have been known to go to the cafeteria and ask one of the cooks to nuke my lunch in one of their microwaves...some of the people in my part of the building make an absolute mess of our microwave.

It's more a dislike of dirty microwaves than it is meat-specific...but I never really thought of it that way before.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by FafaFrappy

.... What about with falafel?
Not even that! Well, the countertops are supposed to be sterilize before using them too, but generally floors have so much dirt and bacteria that it'd be just as "safe" dropping food on dirt in your front yard and picking it up.

Of course we also learned about the botulism in a bag (pre-made salads and veggies in plastic bags w/o holes).

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My boss's husband hunts so she is always bringing in some sort of game for lunch. Usually this involves heating it in the microwave. Last week, she brought in a pheasant and I had to leave for lunch because the stench was getting to me. However most days, I either go home for lunch or bring something in that doesn't involve the microwave so I am ok. If I do use it, I just make sure it is really clean and I put myself on a paper towel.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That brings the whole idea up to me. I usually just eat what my mom cooks, except for the meat. I mean, I offer to cook, but it's too much of a hassle and I always wind up eating around 8 or 9 pm. I don't even know what happens to my food. *shrudders*

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
my neighbor is one of those women who spend the entire day cooking her meat dish. i can not leave my window up now because when she has hers open the smell comes straight in my window and let me tell you it is nasty.

it is strange how the longer you go with out meat around you the stronger the smell becomes and it no longer smells good. burning flesh stinks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yeah oneness. My son has never eaten meat and the smell when we drive by places that cook meat or walk by stands really bothers him. It smells like cooked flesh, but also with that strong stench of blood. That is what the back half of grocery stores smell like to me, blood. That is how I can tell when someone has given me "vegetarian soup" with a chicken broth base: I look for the oily bubbles and smell it. If it smells like blood, I know.... My nose has never failed me yet.

It really does take some time of not eating it before you start smelling that stench.... Uck... you wonder how you ever put something that smells like that in your mouth.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Dittos on that oneness. I used to love my mother's pot roasts, but after three years of being vegetarian, it's practically nauseating after they've been cooking all day.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That blood smell is really hard to deal with. It's sort of a metallic tang in the back of your throat/nose. Eash! It's especially strong when someone is barbecuing.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Quote:
That is what the back half of grocery stores smell like to me, blood
I thought I was the only one who thought that (Lol) Sometimes I can hardly stand to go in Krogers because of the blood smell. I usually try to hold my breath when I am near the meat department.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts