VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't often use meat analogs, but Gimme Lean Vegetarian Sausage was on sale ...

Any advice on using this stuff? I was going to make biscuits & sausage gravy anyway, now I won't have to whip up the 'sausage' from scratch.

I'm guessing no fat is going to render off (the name suggests it's not too fatty!), so I'm going to have to fry it in oil. Does it soak up a lot of oil? I'm trying to figure out how much oil to use based on how much the gravy needs after I fry the sausage.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've never had that particular brand, but I put all my fake meat substances into my cast iron pan. It's just oily enough to fry it without any added oil
Sausage should go well with pancakes and maple syrup...mmm...

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
It doesn't take much oil to fry it, just enough to coat it. It starts out very mushy when cold. Heating it makes it firm. It is not spicy, so I add a little cayenne pepper to give it some heat. I think it is great in tofu scrambles.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I sautee it in a little oil, add a jar of pasta sauce and use it to make a hearty veggie lasagne, usually with butternut squash/zucchini/red peppers etc in it as well. The spices impart a lot of flavor.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
hubby used it in making spaghetti sauce for goulash. He liked it too with added herbs and spices. just used a little oil

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Oil yes, it's needed - and make sure the pan is hot so that it gets a crusty edge. I use probably 1 T to 1 1/2 T in the bottom of a normal sized frying pan. I love Gimme Lean sausage biscuits!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Any advice on using this stuff? I was going to make biscuits & sausage gravy anyway, now I won't have to whip up the 'sausage' from scratch.
I slice and fry the whole tube, then break up several of the sausages and brown more, for the gravy. I add enough water, flour and salt and pepper to make a decent amount of gravy...2 cups? Also, I always add some E.B. to my gravy and my biscuits.

And unless you already have an amazing biscuit recipe, this is the one I recommend:
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=11730.0 I make drop biscuits, though.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, no Gimme Lean.
I get my groceries delivered and sometimes they run out of items and substitute a similar item. Today I got LightLine Smart Ground. Maybe I'll just make tacos. I already do tacos (using ground up nuts) though, so it won't be as fun as doing something new. Or maybe I'll stick with the gravy/white sauce theme and make some SOS marine style. I have bagels I could toast up (they're gonna go bad if I don't do something with them). Toasted sliced bread would be more traditional, but I actually have bagels on hand.

(Note on SOS - in my family this was always made with chipped beef. Aparently in the marine corps ground beef is used more often. Thus 'marines style'. And hey, it's veterans day today, so SOS would be thematically appropriate!)

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Well, no Gimme Lean.
I get my groceries delivered and sometimes they run out of items and substitute a similar item. Today I got LightLine Smart Ground.
You may be disappointed with their Smart Grounds. Every time I have had that product, it smelled as if it were spoiled. Their sausage, on the other hand, is awesome.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I liked to slice it and pan fry it for sausage, or I'd chop it up and then form it into small balls and pan fry and then add to a tofu scramble. Used it also in small ball form for lasagna, would make meatballs out of it for spaghetti, etc. I really liked Gimme Lean. Pan frying with a bit of oil like others said is definitely a must because otherwise it is soft and sticky. I also used cast iron for it because it never stuck to the cast iron with a bit of oil but every now and then in a regular pan it would still a bit.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
You may be disappointed with their Smart Grounds
They didn't charge me for it, so it's kind of a no risk deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.