VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this - - I want to stop relying on canned beans!

How long do they need to soak?

How much dried beans = 1 cup of soaked beans (I imagine they expand?
)

Thanks so much in advance for taking the time to respond!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
This is a good chart:
http://www.vegparadise.com/charts.html

I cook a different pot of beans every week. I usually soak them while I'm at work and cook till they're done.
If I'm making soup I chop the veggies in varying sizes and put them in halfway. Some cook down to flavor the broth that way.

Big tip-anything acidy (tomatoes) and salt go in after the beans are done. They can delay or retard cooking.

Dried beans are so much cheaper-and easier to buy organic!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silva! THanks so much! That chart is ust what i need! So, just to confirm - - i'm soaking my beans 8 hrs first, and then going by the cooking time on the chart?

Dried beans - - cheaper and less sodium! YAY!

THanks again!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

This is a good chart:
http://www.vegparadise.com/charts.html

I cook a different pot of beans every week. I usually soak them while I'm at work and cook till they're done.
If I'm making soup I chop the veggies in varying sizes and put them in halfway. Some cook down to flavor the broth that way.

Big tip-anything acidy (tomatoes) and salt go in after the beans are done. They can delay or retard cooking.

Dried beans are so much cheaper-and easier to buy organic!
Thanks from me too...this is cool!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

Silva! THanks so much! That chart is ust what i need! So, just to confirm - - i'm soaking my beans 8 hrs first, and then going by the cooking time on the chart?

Dried beans - - cheaper and less sodium! YAY!

THanks again!
I do soak about 8 hours, (drain and rinse) but if you forget, you can bring the pot to a boil-turn off heat and let sit for an hour. Drain, rinse, refill and cook the app. cook time.
I don't really follow the charts cook time, just keep checking after an hour.
If you find they're not softening, a good pinch of baking soda helps!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
soaking overnight for me works. then I cook them up in the morning after sitting for about 9-10 hours.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Dried Bean Guide
Use this guide to gauge how much dried beans to cook.

1/3 cup dry beans =
1 cup cooked beans
1/2 cup dry beans =
1 1/2 cups cooked beans
2/3 cup dry beans =
2 cup cooked beans
1 cup dry beans =
3 cups cooked beans
2 cups (1 pound) dry beans =
6 cups cooked beans
from http://whatscookingamerica.net/Veget...iedbeantip.htm

This is what I use to help me plan how much to make at a time

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
The cooking liquid from some beans makes amazing soup broth, so taste it before you pour it down the drain! Chickpea broth has become one of our favorite soup bases!

Home cooked beans also freeze really well if you don't think you'll use them all in a week. Just cook and drain your beans like usual, then spread them out on a parchment-paper (or tin foil, waxed paper, etc.) covered baking sheet and put them in the freezer. After they are frozen you can pour them into a freezer bag or container and just scoop them out as needed for recipes. Freezing them on the baking sheet first helps them not stick together so that you can scoop out the right amount of beans.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

The cooking liquid from some beans makes amazing soup broth, so taste it before you pour it down the drain! Chickpea broth has become one of our favorite soup bases!
Ugh...I just made a pot of chickpeas from dried a few days ago...threw out the liquid.

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
Mushy beans arent the only way to go. If you like to chew your food and/or dont like spending 60-90 minutes cooking, try less time.
I soak mine for 2-3 hrs and boil for 13 minutes. Just enough so they are easily chewable and so the phytohemagglutinin toxin goes away.

Mmm, chewable food.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

Mushy beans arent the only way to go. If you like to chew your food and/or dont like spending 60-90 minutes cooking, try less time.
I soak mine for 2-3 hrs and boil for 13 minutes. Just enough so they are easily chewable and so the phytohemagglutinin toxin goes away.

Mmm, chewable food.
You talking about bigger beans, like kidney sized?
I'm pretty sure I'd get a tummy ache, and prob. gas from that little soaking/cooking.

I'd rather eat them sprouted than undercooked.
Garbanzos are the biggest I've had sprouted, they're good that way.

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
I just cook normal size beans like that: black beans, small red beans, pinto, cowpeas, etc. Its not actually 'undercooked', rather just cooked to a different standard. After soaking, 13 minutes of boiling is enough to sterilize them, soften them enough for chewing (except in adzuki beans), and destroy the toxin while diminishing vitamin content to the minimum degree.
I've never tried cooking dried kidney beans that way, but only because my supermarket doesnt have them.

And yes if compared to prolonged soaking followed by dumping out the liquid (vitamin and protein broth) my way is likely to cause more gas.
I expect chewable beans should have a lower glycemic index (less blood sugar spike) than mushy beans because the body would need time to break the food particles down to liberate the sugar.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Ugh...I just made a pot of chickpeas from dried a few days ago...threw out the liquid.
Don't feel bad. I find the cooking liquid to be quite gas inducing at times. Supposedly if you pre-soak and discard the liquid, there shouldn't be that much indigestible sugar left, but my gut says otherwise..

Regarding cooking times, I've found there are a lot of variables. How hard your water is, how old the dried beans were, etc etc. I've found it really hard to get non-crunchy beans in the past. I've had an easier time now that I use a pressure cooker, but there's still some guesswork involved.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Don't feel bad. I find the cooking liquid to be quite gas inducing at times. Supposedly if you pre-soak and discard the liquid, there shouldn't be that much indigestible sugar left, but my gut says otherwise..

Regarding cooking times, I've found there are a lot of variables. How hard your water is, how old the dried beans were, etc etc. I've found it really hard to get non-crunchy beans in the past. I've had an easier time now that I use a pressure cooker, but there's still some guesswork involved.
I guess it depends on the person. I find that if I presoak the beans and then cook them in new water the broth doesn't make me gassy at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts