VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7514AC20110602

I find this very disturbing. It looks almost the same as the old "basic four food groups" square from my childhood..except now the dairy industry has it's own "category".

I remember back when they changed to the pyramid. The dairy and meat industry used their political and financial muscle to have it delayed..but they couldn't stop it.

It looks like they've gotten their way this time.

They claim the pyramid was confusing. Just like a gov't body to mistake accurate and thorough for confusing.

Since the new plate has nearly equal sections and no information about the categories and the appropriate intake, it's going to leave the consumer in the dark.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't like the "plate" idea. It assumes the beverage should be a dairy product, which I don't agree with. It is good that there is a protein section instead of meat section though. I agree it doesn't provide adequate information and doesn't specify recommended serving size, servings per day.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
USDA to reshape how we see dietary nutrition
The decades-old food pyramid is on the way out. It is expected to be replaced with a plate-shaped icon that experts say better depicts the balance of food groups recommended in a healthful diet.

By Amina Khan, Los Angeles Times

June 1, 2011, 5:53 p.m.
Farewell, food pyramid. Government officials are getting ready to dish out nutritional advice to the nation on a more appetizing platter.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is expected to unveil a replacement to its much-maligned food pyramid Thursday morning, scrapping the rainbow-striped triangle with a staircase edge in favor of a simple circle designed to evoke a dinner plate.

"That would go a long way to producing something that is actually useful for nutritionists and dietitians in the United States," said James Painter, a food psychologist and registered dietician at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Ill. The key, he said, is that it would give viewers a quick idea of what their meals should look like when they sit down at the table.
http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-...,6436170.story

Meh. Not impressed. It looks to me like the same old pyramid, but in plate form. And hey, here's an idea! Why not suggest something that some us do already: Leave the meat off the plate entirely?

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Well I think it's a great idea, minus the dairy part. I've always divided my plate up like this when thinking through what I will cook and it works much better for me than trying to count x portions of vegetables, x portions of grains, when the portion size is not even clearly defined in most pyramids and of course meat and fish have their own group.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Blegh. I dunno who'd trust a buncha bribed suits when it came to nutrition anyways.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The grains section should be smaller, and that dairy cup/plate doesn't need to be there at all. I do sort of like that it's off to the side which seems to imply that it's optional. (unless they think people should drink milk at every meal) I shall be ignoring these "new" USDA food guidelines just as I ignored the last two versions.

Quote:
Meh. Not impressed. It looks to me like the same old pyramid, but in plate form.
It doesn't look that different to me either.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
This one is a lot less informative. The old one at least had the servings of each group you needed a day. This one involves much more guesswork.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think one of the things it does is perpetuate the idea that you can't get your protein from fruits, vegetables, or grains.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I have a bad feeling they "dumbed it down" so as to not upset people.... after all, if they say "1 serving of protein" that might upset people! But if they show protein on a plate, people could eat 500mg of protein, 1500 mg of veggies, an apple pie, a gallon of milk and other crap for every meal and snack, and still be following the "plate"! Now that's something people can get behind.

Can't have people think "hey, this container of food I just ate said it was 50 servings!" that's just going to cause problems.

Now the website is more helpful--explaining and almost implying that milk should be cut back (or left out), that over half should be vegetarian-items only, and the protein should be really small (without really saying what until you click it--where one entire column (1/3 of the items [give or take a few]) are vegetarian. But really, who's going to check the website? I did, but only out of curiosity.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
The National Cattlemen's Beef Association said in a statement that lean beef could meet the protein recommendation. Grains groups praised suggestions that Americans eat more whole grains.
WOW.

It amazes me that this giant cash in is meant to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
468 Posts
you're never gonna be able to convey complex nutritional guides from a simple chart. I don't like the idea of a food pyramid or plate or w/e it is in general, but I must say this is a step up from the pyramid. I like that instead of meat it says protein. Unfortunately, I think many people are still unaware that there is protein everywhere and they don't need to eat meat to get it. Not sure why dairy is still there, not like there's some supernutrient in milk. Actually I know very well why it's there, all about the dollars flyin' around in washington.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hmm I was under the impression that milk was not the only beverage out there, it looks like I was wrong again. I better stop drinking water. The one positive thing is that it says protein rather than meat. Anyways, I plan on ignoring this one, in the exact same fashion as I ignored the last one. I have an idea that the vast majority of the population will follow my lead.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
F the USDA
They are full of crap regardless of what images they use to represent their flawed ideas. Their guidelines aren't even worth reading, as following them will only be an improvement if you happen to live off Twinkies and Mountain Dew.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Why does "dairy" even need to be its own sub category?

Couldn't dairy products fit under protein?

Or are they trying to imply there should be a calcium section? In that case, wouldn't that include things like broccoli as well?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah, I think the dairy thing is silly. Calcium and vitamin D are important, but there are lots of other nutrients that aren't represented by a separate food group. At least they list fortified soymilk as "dairy" on the website.

Otherwise I think this is definitely a big improvement over the old pyramid and the new "my pyramid" business (which was super confusing). I'm not concerned that they are "dumbing it down" -- most people are not really thinking about serving sizes or number of servings, so this is a much more accessible approach.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I saw that plate on the news last night! Hysterical! It was in the same broadcast where they mentioned a new strain of E.Coli that is anti-bacterial resistant, and completely FAILED to mention that it was from animal contamination.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

...will only be an improvement if you happen to live off Twinkies and Mountain Dew.
That's not so far from the truth for the average American....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts