Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
THE United States has slapped a ban on Vegemite, outraging Australian expatriates there.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads and cereals.

Expatriates say that enforcement of the ban has been stepped up recently and is ruining lifelong traditions of having Vegemite on toast for breakfast.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...44-953,00.html

From the Brisbane, Queensland CourierMail.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Crikey!

Vegemite is like marmite turned up to eleven.

(I loooove vegemite. I haaaaaaate marmite).

It's made form yeast and is thick and salty and divine.

Only I heard it wasn't vegan 100% of the time so I figured rather than risk it, until I knew it was vegan all the time, I'd give it up.

I can't imagine they exported too, too much of it the U.S. though?

"She just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich." Men At Work, Down Under

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard about the vegemite ban on the television news. I believe it was on CNN or MSNBC.

However, some later reports are suggesting that the ban is unconfirmed. Although reported in the news, the ban may be a false rumor or mistake of some sort.

See: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...9-1702,00.html

Quote:
Adding to the confusion, a spokesperson from the Australian embassy in Washington DC said US officials had recently said they had no concerns about Vegemite.

But weekend media reports said US customs officers had been taking jars of Vegemite from travellers' bags as they entered the country.

"We are aware of reports that US authorities have been seeking to stop people from bringing Vegemite into the country," a spokesperson from the Australian embassy in Washington DC said.

"We are liaising with US authorities to determine whether the media reports are accurate."

FDA officials did not return phone calls today.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Crikey!

I can't imagine they exported too, too much of it the U.S. though?
One news article said there are 100,000 Australian and New Zealander expatriates living in the US.

Quote:

"She just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich." Men At Work, Down Under
Alas, many people on VB weren't even born when that song was in the Top 40.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Quote:

Crikey!

Only I heard it wasn't vegan 100% of the time
where did you hear that?...I've never seen anything non-vegan on the ingredients list, but I will admit it has been a while since I had any.

Re the ban... it has to be a joke, surely?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just learned this myself:

Vegemite dates back to 1922 when the Fred Walker Company, which became Kraft Walker Foods in 1926 and Kraft Foods Limited in 1950, hired a young chemist to develop a spread from one of the richest known natural sources of the vitamin B group - Brewers Yeast.

Walker's daughter named the product "vegemite". It was described as "Delicious on sandwiches and toast, and improves the flavour of soups, stews and gravies". However, it took 14 long years of perseverance from Walker before Vegemite finally gained acceptance and recognition with the Australian people.

In 1935, a vigorous 2-year coupon redemption scheme was launched whereby a jar of Vegemite was given away with every purchase of other products in the Fred Walker Company range. Australians tried the product, and loved it.

Ingredients: Yeast extract, salt, mineral salt, (508, 509) malt extract, natural colour, (150) vegetable extract, thiamine(E), riboflavin, niacin.

This site has the song for those of us that have never heard it:

http://ozbird.com/oz/OzCulture/oz_cu...te/default.htm

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's what Reuter's reported:

Quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has long prohibited imports of Vegemite because it contains folate, a B vitamin approved as an additive for just a few foods, including breakfast cereals.

But until recently there was no difficulty bringing in a few jars for personal use. Nearly 100,000 Australians and New Zealanders live in the United States.

"Vegemite made me the man I am today," said Brad Blanks, a reporter with a New York breakfast radio show. "In Australia the slogan is that Vegemite puts a rose in every cheek; but today America has slapped the cheek of every Australian."
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...c=66&type=qcna

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Alas, many people on VB weren't even born when that song was in the Top 40.
It's A Mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoska View Post

where did you hear that?
I read it on the internet so I figured it had to be true.

It had something to do with the machinery or...you know what. When I have energy tomorrow I'll get my google on.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
The US Government today dismissed media reports it had banned Vegemite.

"There is no ban on Vegemite," US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Media reports at the weekend claimed American border officials were confiscating Vegemite from Australians as they entered the US.

The FDA, charged with policing America's food supply, has not issued an "import alert" to border officials to halt the import of Vegemite.

Mr Herndon said the FDA was surprised by the media reports.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...82-401,00.html

Reported three hours ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.