VeggieBoards banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it supposed to have brownish bits in it? I've only had the silly thing for a week and I've sliced it and it is brownish and light coloured... tell me it's not rotten? It doesn't smell rotten...

·
Registered
0 Posts
<a href="http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4873" target="_blank">http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&threadid=4873</a><br><br>
Theres another board about egg plant, that might help.<br><br>
But probably wont!!<br><br>
Danny

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
it sounds fine to me. rotten is generally very obvious.<br><br><br><br>
how do you plan to prepare the eggplant. i always make a vegan version of eggplant parmesean.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too late, I got scared of it... so it's now compost... *sigh* I was going to make eggplant bake...

·
Registered
0 Posts
For future reference... a little discoloration just means that it was bruised, as sometimes happens to apples. If, however, it is dark brown or falling apart in those spots, then that part is rotting. If it's just a small area, cut out the spot and a little extra margin around it and use the rest.<br><br><br><br>
Eggplant will begin to "brown" as soon as it is sliced, so if you cut it and then let it sit for a few minutes, it will start to turn brown. To prevent this, put the cut eggplant right into a bowl of water with salt added to it. You'll have to weigh it down with a plate or something to keep it from floating to the top.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Urgent question about eggplant... LOL. Sorry, don't mean to make fun, but that's got to be the first time I've ever seen that!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a desperation thing... I sliced it and saw brown and went "eek, can I eat that?" and I was just about to use it... I have never ever cooked with eggplant before...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I know, I saw the other posts before I posted, but when I first got online and saw the thread topic, I had to laugh. Think about it for a second; it's funny!<br><br><br><br>
I guess it's never funny when it happens to you...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
>>i always make a vegan version of eggplant parmesean.>><br><br><br><br>
what do you sub for parmesean?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, I don't think it's a funny question (hee) at all! (snicker).<br><br><br><br>
Seriously, if it's brown AND soft , it actually could be heading towards spoilage. Look for smooth skinned, firm, heavy for it's size eggplant. Smaller fruit has fewer seeds, it's younger so had less time to develop seeds. Some will disagree, but this is what I have found to be the case. Compost is not a bad way to go. I've requested it for myself. Sorry, make me stop!!!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I seem to recall there being brownish flecks in eggplant.<br><br><br><br>
Here's a pic I found online of one cut in two. You can see some dark flecks<br><br><br><br><a href="http://tubes.ominix.com/art/a/food/eggplant-half.png" target="_blank">http://tubes.ominix.com/art/a/food/eggplant-half.png</a><br><br><br><br><br><br>
It's kindof a soft veggie, not using it within a week is a bit long IMHO ... just like zuchinis should be used definately before a week IMHO

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Sometimes the seeds are brown, which is normal. I agree that the smaller eggplants are usually tastier, although the large ones are tempting because they're so aesthetically pleasing. My favorite eggplants are the longer, thinner Asian or Italian varieties. They're usually sweeter.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Brown spots are normal. The best way to judge whether its going bad is firmness.<br><br><br><br>
If its really soft & mushy inside, then you prolly want to throw it out. It should be a little soft, but still generally firm.<br><br><br><br>
Eggplant is usually good to use within 5-6 days of cutting it (I wrap mine in a plastic bag if its been cut).

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
when i make it we use tofuitti mozzarella melted on top of the breaded eggplant. i melt the "cheese" on each piece.<br><br><br><br>
my regular vegetarian verison was<br><br><br><br>
slice eggplant then dip in egg, then seasoned flour, then egg again and finally finely crushed crackers. then fry. once fried season with parmesan. cover each pice with a slice of mozzarella. melt in oven. i personally do not put my sauce directly on top of the eggplant because it stay crispier on the side.<br><br><br><br>
vegan<br><br>
now i make an ener G replacer batter. dip in that, then seasoned flour then batter then crushed crackers. to much batter will ruin it. after they are fried i top each piece with "mozzarella" then melt in the oven. then topped eggplant with yummy spagetti sauce.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dk_art, that's exactly what I was talking about. Except those brownish bits were much bigger, all along the eggplant. Doesn't matter anymore, but now I know, thanks guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts