VeggieBoards banner

URGENT! OSPCA not taking action. What do i do?

876 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  silva 
#1 ·
Hello everyone im new to this board but i have a serious animal welfare issue happening at the home a rent a room at.

There are 3 dogs that belong to two male tenants here. These dogd are ties up on chains outside all day, no acess to water or shelter. It gets extremely hot here. One dog is a beagle mix that is almost emaciated with every bone in his body protruding. On top of this neglect, one tentant beats on the dogs. Smacking, kicking and one time i captured video of the beagle being hung by the neck and dangling off the ground. I submitted this footage, photographs and what was going on to the OSPCA.

An officer came to look at the dogs twice and issued warnings to change the dogs conditions. If no improvements were made they woukd be seized. After i had submitted the video footage the officer came back mentioned taking the footage to police to convcit the abuser..but no action was taken even though the abuse is very severe and clearly shown on camera. These dogs are in deplorable conditions. I keep contacting the ospca and nothing is being done.

The landlord don't care about whats happening with the dogs, the dog owners wont improve conditions. I do what i can to help these dog by giving them food and water..trying to get them.some shade but i often find that the owners removed the water dishes and shorten the dogs chain. What can i do to help these animals? I fear the skinny dog will die soon. Police will not get involved as its an.issue of the ospca to deal with but they aren't helping at all. They are failing to protect the welfare of these animals. And here the local humane societies do not have the power to conduct investigations into animal cruelty as again its in the hands of the ospca.

Any advice would be helpful...im so worries for these dogs...im sick to my stomach witnessing their conditions and the physical abuse...who can help when the ospca fails?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Ontario?
You need to educate yourself on the local laws concerning animal abuse.
Are you in a urban or rural setting or somewhere in between? Are their neighbors who witness this?
I'd suggest getting in touch with a television station and local animal advocates

#3 ·
I live in a suburban neighborhood. I have done research for local laws and what is occurring here is federal animal abuse. I have begun getting in touch with local press and media regarding this matter. As there is a serious issue happening with the OSPCA and their investigators who I've personally talked to while they have come here. They always issue orders to the owners but never return to see if the orders have been complied with. The investigator had said the abuse in the video was a felony act of animal cruelty yet did not take any sort of action against the owners or to take the dogs to safety.

#4 ·
After trying everything you can from removing those dogs from the situation, you could try making their time less painful. Feed them, give them toys, give them lots of water. Love them, at least try, because they'll probably be scared of people. If you can afford it, you could even ask a vet to examine them. Are those horrible men at home during the day? If so these may be no help. But if they aren't home, please help them. I am dedicated to helping animals, and this is pretty much as much help as mum let's me give them.

#5 ·
I do feed and give them water everyday as their owners do not or they will restrict water. Both owners are on disability and dont have jobs. They are home all day and very physically capable of caring for the dogs. If i had the extra money i would take the 3 dogs to the vet, but right now im trying to improve their miserable living conditions the best i can.

I got in touch with the OSPCA agent looking after the case. She informed me that basically she cannot do anything without a warrant to check up on the dogs as the owners told her she was not allowed on the property. She had also informed me that if she obtains a warrant, and with enough evidence that all adults living in the household (including me) could all be charged with felony neglect. Which i find unfair as i was the person who called the OSPCA about the conditions and have been providing as much care as possible to help these dogs.

So im stumped right now. Im in a very bad situation and the animals are in an even worse one.

#10 ·
have been trying to get help from others. I have contacted police and our district humane society but they both said it's a matter for the ospca to deal with. I have also reached out to otger groups including PETA, mercy for animals, HSUS and local rescues with no response.

Both owners are lets say are pretty much scaming disability. They are both on it for anxiety which legally they have the diagnosis from a medical professional.. But they have said they could get a job anytime, That its easier to do nothing. And thats exactly what they do all day

#11 ·
You're not up against a CAFO, it's a dog you basically live with.
Where are the videos of abuse you've posted? I've given you a facebook for your local vegan AR group. Are your videos and pleas for help there? Have you personally contacted anyone there?
You say you've 'contacted' places. Has that been nothing but calls?

Abuse of dogs and cats recieve tremendous response here in Ohio when videos get posted to social media. Haven't you posted on your local news stations website? The local papers editorial on the OSPCA inaction?

What do think a worldwide veg forum can do? You haven't posted your actions or links to anywhere anyone here can post

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.