VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 gorgeous cats who I don't want to end up permanently separated from. 2 months from now, I am leaving Georgia. My plans were to move to New York, which might still be happening, however there's also a good chance that I might be taking then with me to the UK because of a relationship. Long story, it's still early days, but I do want to be prepared in case the latter option happens.

In any case, I will need my cats cared for for anywhere from 1-7 months, the latter option being if I do take them abroad. The cheapest option I have found so far that feels humane to me is $425 per month for both of them in a place in upstate New York. If it is towards the 7 month end, it is due to the fact that in order to take them to the UK without quarantine, they have to be vaccinated for rabies (current vaccinations don't count), blood tested 1 month later, and then can be brought to the UK 6 months after the bloodtest.

All of that said, are there any options at all for services which will watch my cats in their home, seeing as I will be between homes, long term? As long as it's loving and inexpensive, I am happy to consider any home in the eastern US or Canada. In addition, if you're reading this and fit this description, I'm happy to consider your home, so feel free to PM me. I will ask though for reference checks as well as to draw up a legally binding agreement and have it notarized, just as I would if I went through anyone who isn't through an agency, in effect to ensure that my cats are returned to me as soon as I'm ready for them as well as to protect you from liability.

Thanks, and hoping I can be pointed in the right direction on this one, scratching my head a lot here!

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Good luck.

(As a footnote, I want to point out that having an agreement notarized doesn't make it any more legally binding. All it does is (theoretically) offer you confirmation that the person signing the document is indeed who s/he claims to be, because a notary is supposed to look at I.D. There are certain types of documents that are required by statute to be notarized (such as documents which need to be filed in the recorder of deeds office (i.e. documents that transfer or encumber title to real property), etc. But if a document isn't required by staute or regulation to be notarized, notarization doesn't magically make it more legally binding.)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

..... The cheapest option I have found so far that feels humane to me is $425 per month for both of them in a place in upstate New York. If it is towards the 7 month end, it is due to the fact that in order to take them to the UK without quarantine, they have to be vaccinated for rabies (current vaccinations don't count), blood tested 1 month later, and then can be brought to the UK 6 months after the bloodtest.
I live in Upstate New York, and as I understand it, rabies vaccinations are legally required for cats here. (Personally, I think this is excessive for an indoors-only animal. Yes, in theory, a rabies-infected bat could fly in, or a cat might slip outdoors and get in a tangle with an infected animal, but I still think this should be optional for animals who do not go outside.) I don't think you would have to do that until you brought them to a veterinarian for something- then again, whoever you boarded them with would probably require it too. You get a small metal tag which certifies that you cat was vaccinated; my cats have been indoors so I haven't put their tags on them.

If you took them to the UK, you wouldn't have to vaccinate them again, would you?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I would check the UK regulations again. I've only looked wrt dogs, but you don't have to re-vaccinate them if you can show appropriate paperwork.

ETA: Looked it up again, and it seems a bit unclear (says new rules as of June 1st): http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ts/pet-owners/

Also, they say there is a 21 day rule between EU countries, but I know several folks who take their dogs/cats with them on holidays to France.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
From when I worked at the vet, it took several months to get a cat or dog cleared to travel to the UK without quarantine. They needed a certain kind of microchip then a rabies booster within a certain number of months before travel, then a rabies titer done another amount of time before travel, and there's only one lab in the US that did it at the time and it took like 6-8 wks to get results back. They also couldn't've missed any rabies shots at all in a certain amount of time before moving.

Is there a reason the cats can't stay with you? I've moved multiple times with my cats, I just had to make sure I had pet friendly housing, which isn't necessarily easy, but is doable.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I gathered is that the process is have them microchipped, have the rabies vaccination but only after having them microchipped (so would have to do it again), have the blood sample drawn 30 days later, then I can take them with me 6 months after the blood sample is drawn. If I do end up moving there, it will more likely be this autumn, so before the 6 month window has closed.

Still looking around though, and trying to figure out what a reasonable price is to pay someone to look after them. Either way, it would definitely be cheaper and more spacious than quarantine, although I'm glad to see that there are quarantine facilities there which don't use cages. 3000 pounds for the 2 of them for 6 months is a massive amount of money though.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

All of that said, are there any options at all for services which will watch my cats in their home
Can you ask your vet if they can possibly recommend someone/connect you with someone?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i know this is kind of old but i followed it when you first posted even though i had no useful advice. did you find an arrangement?

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i know this is kind of old but i followed it when you first posted even though i had no useful advice. did you find an arrangement?
Hey, thanks for replying! I think I do have someone who looks 90% sure, although if she can't then my soon to be former landlord said she would for $300/month. Fingers crossed my friend ends up doing it, that's a lot of money!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts