VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at lunch they had delicious boca burgers yesterday in the cafeteria.

I went over to get one and there was a student in front of me. He asked what's on the grill. The cook explained to him. He was like "nah, that sounds weird".... First of all, you should try it....it's delicious! Second, I think it's upsetting when people think vegetarian food is weird/bad/limiting. I wonder when people will realize the harm that comes to their health from eating meat, to the environment, and to the animals. I think it's so weird that people could love their cats or dogs or other pets and then eat other animals.....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I agree, if more people just tried veg food they would be pleasantly surprise, well some of them anyway.

there was a skeptic at a BBQ i went to awhile back, i convinced him to try a veg hot dog and burger, and he was surprised he actually liked it!

11,550 Posts
i can understand how you must feel. It must be very saddening,frustrating and disheartening to watch people behave like this, knowing what you know about burgers.

i do also understand why people are weirded out by, and not keen to try eating something that isn't what it appears to be, though.

i remember the first time i saw toffutti better than cream cheese, just after i found out i couldnt eat dairy any more. i remember standing in the healthfood store, looking at the tub, reading the ingredients, and saying to my mum "ok, so it looks like cream cheese, apparently it tastes like cream cheese, but its made from mushed up coagulated beans and all kinds of other weird looking stuff. How tasty is this really going to be, i wonder." and feeling quite uneasy at the prospect of trying it. And then deciding upon tasting it, that it was in fact, quite gross.

Took me 3 tries and over a month to get used to the idea of it, and to fall in love with it. Had i been closed minded and/or able to keep eating normal cream cheese, i probably would never have even got that far.

Some people can be really closed minded and set in their ways about food (or just doubtful, dubious, suspicious, or unnerved by change). i guess all we can do is politely educate them, keep smiling, being positive, singing its praises, (but not being too weird in the process) and offering it to them- sooner or later some people seem to catch on. My bf is a reformed tofu hater who after years of going 'ewww' at the idea of mushed up coagulated beans in a block, now steals it off my plate. There is hope for everyone, lol.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I think that ther eis somewhat of an apartheid (because it's a cool word) of food into vegetarian and non-vegetarian categories.Whilst non-vegetarians can enjoy vegetarian food, many do not see it as a viable choice.

I thinkthat by presenting it as being "bloody good food" rather than "bloody good vegetarian food", more people willbe tempted to try it.

So an apple isn't a vegetarian snack. it's just a snack.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Whenever I go to a party, I bring something made with fake meat, but I don't tell people what it is, or that I brought it. I simply put it with the other food and watch people enjoy it. Then, when everyone says, "wow, this is good, who brought this?" I say, "hah! I did and it's vegetarian!"

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm vegetarian and I am weirded out by a lot of the mock meat foods.

I dunno something about beans being called meat just skeeves me, then I bite into it and its texture is funny.

It is not the taste that throws people, its the thought of what is in it and compairing it to the "normal" stuff.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'm one of those people who has a hard time trying 'weird' food. If I don't know how something is going to taste, unless it's very bland the surprise itself might be enough to make me gag. I think it's especially strange in the case of fake meats or fake dairy products, because on one hand you're concentrating really hard on what you expect it to taste like (i.e. meat or cheese) and on the other hand you know it won't taste exactly like that and then all you can focus on is the difference. So I'm pretty sympathetic to people who won't try weird food.

On the other hand, since going vegetarian I have found that forcing myself to eat weird food is helpful--even when I don't like it the first time, after eating something a few times I end up liking it.

Actually, although I understand not wanting to try 'weird' things, I do get upset when someone dismisses them out of hand. One of my friends was describing how to make veg gravy, and an omni friend said that it sounded gross, and I got kind of mad that she just dismissed it like that. So I'm a hypocrite.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well personally I think taking another living creature, killing it, removing it's skin and cutting off parts of it's organs and then ingesting them into your own body is extremely "weird".

But then taking plants and making them into a product that is supposed to mimic the aforementioned process is also very weird.

I can understand how someone would be freaked out by a Boca burger. But I don't understand how someone would be freaked out by a Gardenburger.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Any processing of food is in some way a little odd, though it might taste good. Personally I try to avoid the 'mock meat' things if I can help it, purely on the basis that I have tried, and am not particularly keen on, a lot of them, and also because (and this is a personal thing) it feels almost like I'm admitting that I need meat.

Anyway, getting off the point slightly - when people won't even try something new it is ridiculous, especially if they aren't the sort of people who question what they normally eat. Close mindedness is an upsettingly common human trait. So I do see where you are coming from, even given my first paragraph!

BTW, what is a Boca burger and what is a Gardenburger? (UK resident!)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Boca burger is a brand of vegetarian burger patties that are made of wheat gluten and soy and are meant to similate the texture and taste of meat.

Gardenburger is a brand of vegetarian burger patties that are made of rice and other grains, vegetables, and legumes and are not meant to similate meat, but rather are meant to taste like the things they're made of.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Omnis think veg food is gross because they believe it is gross. I guess it is similar to a "placebo effect" when one is taking fake medications.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"it feels almost like I'm admitting that I need meat. "

I don't get it when vegetarians are against the fake meat because it's too much like 'real meat'. Not to single you out, but I hear it a lot.

who ever said I had anything against the way it tastes? Well, it's been over a decade, so I probably don't have as keen a memory of what it tasted like, so maybe that's why I think the fake stuff tastes good.. Honestly, I'm against the killing of animals, and the fake meat has nothing to do with that.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
It always makes me giggle when people say they hate "vegetarian food" and never eat it. What, you've never had a peanut butter sandwich? An apple? A slice of chocolate cake? A handful of peanuts?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know....I think Gardenburgers are pretty good, too. Personally, I prefer Boca. The first time I tried it, I thought it was a real hamburger accidentally labeled as Boca. I don't have anything against the way meat tastes...I just would prefer to harm animals as little as possible....eat a relatively vegan diet most of the time, excepting sunday nights when i have pizza.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I never get why people wont try veggie foods either...I do the same thing and make something with fake meats and take it to a party or BBQ and most of my family and friends will try it and most like it...esp the fake chicken and rice dish that i make.

I am okay with most Veggie burgers...but am not a Boca Burger fan they have a strange taste to me...but Garden burgers are okay...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts