VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi nowoutonvinyl! I don't play the upright bass, but I play the cello and the electric bass, so I figured I'd say hi anyway. Do you play the electric too?

Good luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no ive never played an electric. ive never played anything before actually. i'm learning to play rockabilly slap bass right now. what styles do you play?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't play it personally but I've been looking for an upright bass player for my band forever. It's so hard to find someone who is competent at it, actually owns a bass, and has enough time and dedication to be in a band.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah ive already been asked to join a couple bands since ive started playing and i'm not even any good yet. what kind of band are you in?

·
Registered
573 Posts
And get used to it because you'll always be in hot demand! We actually considered buying a bass with band money and teaching someone how to play it, that's how hard it is to find someone. I guess because it's not like the guitar where there's a million kids sitting around in their rooms practicing all day. Nobody wants to learn how to play a $3,000 instrument that doesn't sound cool unless it's with a band.

Most people call us a folk band, but I disagree in part with that. We only play music from the 20s, 30s and 40s...mostly different types of jazz in sort of a folky style, and also some bluegrass, old time country, and gospel. I play rythm guitar, mandolin, and washboard (not at the same time of course) and sing, there's a ukelele player/singer, a lead guitarist, and an occassional accordianist and occassional banjo player.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doesn't sound cool unless its with a band?! bass sounds good allll the time! heh

anyway, i don't own my bass yet i'm renting it until its paid off. your band sounds neat. i'm attempting to start a psychobilly type band and have everything except a drummer. drummers are also hard to come by apparently.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha! that band is awesome! amazing what that guy can do with a single string...

i love custom basses...like the nekromantix coffin bass

once i pay off my bass i hope to do something fun to it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowoutonvinyl View Post

no ive never played an electric. ive never played anything before actually. i'm learning to play rockabilly slap bass right now. what styles do you play?
I play standard alternative/rock music on the electric (I only started about a year ago) and classical (and occasionally some alt rock as well) on the cello. I don't play in a band regularly, but do some recording on my own for fun. When did you start playing? That coffin bass is fabulous, btw.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh yeah Split Lip Rayfield is awesome. I'm all about the non-traditional bluegrass bands. Split Lip Rayfield reminds me also of Curtis Eller and the White Ghost Shivers. We've opened for the Shivers before- they are simply AMAZING. Not bluegrass, they're a '20s style hokum string band.

Hey Vinyl I think bass sounds cool alone but try telling that to the general public.
Yep, drummers are the same way. You can't play and sing a song on a drumkit alone that woos a teenage girl's heart, so most folks don't opt for drums when deciding what to learn how to play.

So how much are you paying to rent your bass? I never thought about renting one before, how does it work?

Here is my band by the way: www.myspace.com/poorwendy

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the general pubic apparently hasnt seen:

haha

anyway, i pay $29/mo for my bass. and 12 months rent goes towards the price of buying it if you want to, which i might. i didnt tell them i was going to play slap on it since it ruins the fingerboard over time i told them i was going to play bluegrass and they looked at me strange. guess i dont look like a bluegrass kind of girl haha.

wow your band has talent! if only mine sounded 1/2 as good...

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Eli, I had NO IDEA you were such the musician!! your stuff is brilliant!!

it takes a lot to impress me, and you've done it!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

wow, I'm not used to people knowing who Split Lip Rayfield are!! too cool!
Saw them open for Horton Heat one time... or maybe it was Social D, can't remember... they're the ones where he uses an old gas tank for a bass, right? lol

But yeah... I played electric a while back and have since put it down. I would love to start again, but it's just a pain right now. I also always wanted to learn stand up... I looooove the sound and I've been on a rockabilly/psychobilly kick lately...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah the general public definitely hasn't seen that awesome video.

Katt where did you see them with Reverend Horton Heat? A friend of mine travels with the Heat selling merch.

So Vinyl you pay for a year and then that $350 goes toward the price of the bass? How does it work after that? Do you just pay all the rest that's due upfront? $29 a month ain't bad at all! I'd much rather do that than try to scrape together for six months to buy one. Ha, that's funny about the bluegrass comment. I was playing banjo in a bluegrass jam in East Texas once when I was 16 or 17, and this photographer was there taking pictures. He asked me my name, where I was from, and some questions about me playing music. I just figured he liked taking pictures in his spare time.

Well fast forward like six months later and my grandma called me all excited because she'd just gotten her subscription of Texas Highways magazine and there were like 4 pictures of me in it! It was all about how bluegrass is catching on with the "young, hip" crowd. Hahahaha.

I get little funny looks and stuff like that all the time. I guess people don't see piercings, tattoos, pink hair and think, "Oh she must like Dixieland jazz and old time country".

Hey thanks for the compliments on my band guys!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hey Randy your profile says you're from Hilo? Hilo is the brand of ukelele our uke player has. Wonder if they're made there...?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'm actually not sure how it works heh...i'm hoping they let me just keep renting it until i pay it off. only bad part about renting it is i have to play it as is. i would like to put on some gut strings and raise the bridge. but if your bass player wont be playing slap that shouldnt matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrown View Post

So Vinyl you pay for a year and then that $350 goes toward the price of the bass? How does it work after that? Do you just pay all the rest that's due upfront? $29 a month ain't bad at all! I'd much rather do that than try to scrape together for six months to buy one. Ha, that's funny about the bluegrass comment. I was playing banjo in a bluegrass jam in East Texas once when I was 16 or 17, and this photographer was there taking pictures. He asked me my name, where I was from, and some questions about me playing music. I just figured he liked taking pictures in his spare time.

Well fast forward like six months later and my grandma called me all excited because she'd just gotten her subscription of Texas Highways magazine and there were like 4 pictures of me in it! It was all about how bluegrass is catching on with the "young, hip" crowd. Hahahaha.

I get little funny looks and stuff like that all the time. I guess people don't see piercings, tattoos, pink hair and think, "Oh she must like Dixieland jazz and old time country".

Hey thanks for the compliments on my band guys!

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
so, I'm doing some research on the Hilo Ukulele, and it seems that several manufacturers have used that model name... most likely Kaman, and very likely made in china...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts