VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I'm predicted a slew of 'ask your doctor' answers but still keen for personal experience and/or advice on here in the meantime, if that's okay ...
?

Currently, I walk. Less than I used to but still about an hour a day. I have a BMI of about 17 but look healthy, have a good iron profile and have started regularly menstruating in the last three months thanks to swapping dairy for soy ( not sure how. It wasn't an intended thing. I went vegan and everything changed ) . Generally have a bit of energy but definitely go through these odd slumps and lags with strange, minor chestpain and just a fuzzy, slow feeling.

Was recently told that i should do some heart-rate raising exercise, like I used to years ago, even though my sleeping and stress levels are okay ( plus I really enjoyed 'real' exercise. I just ran out of time ) and I reckon I'll feel less dead less often if I do this. Part of me is worried though that my body is asking for less not more, no idea why.

Anyway, ..actually. I'm not even sure what I'm asking?! I guess...maybe how do you know the difference, once you start running ( which is my plan ) between 'good' pain and bad? Is it an unwise idea for someone feeling a bit slow and fuzzy this year to do something like that ( I'm one of those picture-the-worst-possible-scenario types and heart attacks etc come to mind ) or the best possible thing?

How did you feel starting out?

I was once told the key difference is weakness vs. muscle exhaustion?

What an odd post..

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Maybe you should take a more holistic approach to your health. If you're underweight, it's possible you don't eat enough, which would make it difficult to exercise well. Exercise is good for you, regardless of how much you weigh or how good you feel.

Who told you that you should get more intense exercise?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys !
LUVYOURMOTHER, I love yoga! Yoga and walking I have down. I guess I was just curious about the benefits of more intense exercise. My GP suggested it and my boyfriend, who is an avid runner, constantly preaches the benefits. As do many, of course! And quite rightly so. I always thought there wasn't really anything running could do that walking couldn't ( in a longer timeframe ) but I can see that raising heartrate etc etc is important .

I guess I'm just clueless re: starting, too. I mean..I was going to run this morning but should I eat first? Empty stomach? How do I know if I'm pushing too hard ( I'm a notorious self-pusher. I love it. But I don't WANT to do that. My NYResolutions included being gentler to body )

DORMOUSE, yup, that's true. My concern was just around something bad happening and my thinking it's just 'no pain no gain'. Or something. I don't actually even know . Ha.

Perhaps it's all just procrastination..
I'll run this morning. I'll drink coffee, run, then have breakfast? Hrm..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
( I know marathoners etc have to eat first but let's face it..I'm probably going to keep up the pace for several intervals of 5 minutes ;( ..)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...that was awesome, on one hand. And awful on the other. Is that how it's meant to go?
Frustrating because muscular-ly and breathing wise, I could have jogged for epic amounts of time ( it felt like ) but my head started pounding ( with the same headache I've woken up with for the last week or so. It's there when I wake up then goes away. Apparently, though, anything causing a rush of blood to it hurts. Head down, exercise, anything. But I digress ) and my heart started doing what feels like skipping beats. So I walked for 15 mins instead, then ran the last block ( and really missed that warm, rushing MOVEMENT feeling . Wanted to go for so much longer but head was splitting and instantly stopped when I did ) and ran up the stairs. Got home and did the first pushups I have in years plus ran on the spot ( is there any point in that ? ) for 30 second intervals. I feel good, but also sad. Because clearly this will be a struggle.
Also vaguely concerned about the headache I just can't shake.

What a self-centred post this is.. sorry. You're just all very wise

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
How much water do you drink every day?

headaches are usually from being dehydrated and/or not eating enough, which leads to my second question

How much do you eat every day? like a typical day of meals

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LUVOURMOTHER, I drink a ton of water thanks to a gorgeous Earthlust bottle I got last year and just adore. What a difference water makes!
I eat every three or four hours, 3 meals, 3 snacks ( didn't realise this was my routine but thinking about it, it's true! ) .
If I take yesterday, I had...

oats, soymilk, blueberries, almonds and honey.

dark chocolate

buckwheat pasta salad with broccoli, carrot, peas, beetroot, avocado ..uh....there was something else....? Oh seitan.

banana and macadamia nuts

wholewheat pizza with mushrooms, squash, spinach, cheezly,

cashews and sultanas.
(plus iron and omega 3 supplements )
--

Today...

Sourdough wholemeal toast with avocado and vegemite, soy latte.

banana

Stew of sweet potato, navy beans, chinese broccoli, ...golly, memory failing me here. What else was in there? Lots of stuff.

apple and cashews

...and it's 3pm .

?

My calculations suggest I eat around 1700 -900 calories a day on average

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Maybe it would help to eat a small breakfast before you run. Some fruit, a little bit of cereal, or a cup of yogurt. Coffee dehydrates you, so it might not be the best idea to have only that in your stomach when you set out.

Good for you for trying, though. Perhaps it would also help to experiment with running at different times of the day. I've learned that I exercise best in the afternoon. I have more energy, and I've already gotten two meals and lots of water in me that day. (Though I always wait a few hours after eating a full meal before exercising)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LuvourmotherSorry, I didn't mean 900 I meant 1700 - 1900ish.
I'll try adding more in and see what happens. I wouldn't say I'm 'very active' but I'd like to be! Thanks!

dormouse Ah! That makes such good sense! This afternoon I'll retry. I struggle with breakfast really early in morning and can't run once I'm working so...afternoon with 2 meals behind me would be ideal. Thankyou so much. I guess it's all a bit of a trial and error thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts