VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
remember i said i feel i need to gain some weight because i may have lost a little bit?

yeah i went to the doctor on friday and weighed myself there. woops!!! i lost 6 lbs
i only weigh 101 !! this is not good. i can't afford to lose weight. but i'm finding it quite hard to eat more than what i am normally used to eating without giving myself indigestion or something.

so i asked friends of ours, one lost a lot of weight on the body for life program and her husband is on the same program trying to gain weight (just eating different amounts for a different result). both of them suggested nuts. lots and lots of nuts, that i should just snack on them constantly. she also gave me some recipes for cookies and things that i can make and snack on that are all high in calories and carbs.

but i'd appreciate any other ideas because i'm sure i'll get sick of nuts if i eat them every day

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You'd think I"d be able to help since I have no problem whatsoever gaining weight.......

but - I can only think of a couple things that you could add without feeling bloated.

Avocados are calorie dense (in salads, guacamole, etc.)

Adding more oils to things (dressings, when cooking, etc.) - a little at each meal can add up.

good luck - I know it must be frustrating.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it is. thanks. i'm not much of an avacado person, but i wish we had a quizno's here. it's a sub place that makes really amazing veggie subs with guac and they toast them. i'd eat those instead of the veggie subs i normally get with no dressing. (dressings are mostly not vegan)

oh well. i discovered a brand of knockoff Nutella that is vegan. i have to find the brand here now so i can buy some, the stuff is really high in calories. it's one of the things our friend eats during 24 hour solo races. if i can find some graham crackers without honey and that spread, it's a really good snack with tons of carbs.

only thing is, most of my calories already come from carbs. grrr.

i think i need more fats and more protein or most of the calories i add to my diet probably won't get used anyway.

·
Registered
0 Posts
In terms of weight gain, calories are calories. Get them wherever you can.

Here is what I did to gain weight (leaving out the non-vegan options, of course):

Use peanut oil as a condiment

Stop drinking water and drink juice

Eat 6+ smaller meals per day - think 1x 3-4 tbsp peanut butter sandwich + 1 fruit + 1 juice, Full-fat guac w/ veggies + 1 juice + 1 soy milk, pasta salad w/ full-fat oil dressing + soup, fried tofu on a salad, etc

End the night with a smoothie - soy milk, tofu, BSM, fruit, avocado slice, drizzle of oil, banana, berries, etc

·
Registered
0 Posts
(Why do I have a strange feeling that some "Eat to Live" people are over here, jotting down all the foods listed and banning them from their diets?)

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Well, Krista, I do have to admit that a lot of the stuff you listed gave me that overwhelmed, panicky feeling in my stomach

I have to ask though... Some people say many smaller meals throughout the day helps you lose weight... some say it helps you gain weight... Uh, how does that make sense?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Both.

Small meals with lower-calories food choices help you stay fuller longer.

Smaller meals with higher calories food chocies help you eat more without wanting to vomit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

In terms of weight gain, calories are calories. Get them wherever you can.

Here is what I did to gain weight (leaving out the non-vegan options, of course):

Use peanut oil as a condiment

Stop drinking water and drink juice

Eat 6+ smaller meals per day - think 1x 3-4 tbsp peanut butter sandwich + 1 fruit + 1 juice, Full-fat guac w/ veggies + 1 juice + 1 soy milk, pasta salad w/ full-fat oil dressing + soup, fried tofu on a salad, etc

End the night with a smoothie - soy milk, tofu, BSM, fruit, avocado slice, drizzle of oil, banana, berries, etc
Sounds like what I eat in a day....

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have to admit. I'm stupified on what else to tell you to eat besides more pasta and breads, which you say your diet is already carb rich. Hmmm...I'll be thinking about this for you.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just "add stuff" to whatever I usually eat - so that I can easily "remove them" when I think it's time to stop gaining weight. Stuff I do: add more oil than usual, add nuts/dried cranberries to cereals, yogurt, eat fruit with pb, drink my calories (smoothies, OJ). if you put a little something extra in all your meals, you should gain weight soon, slow but soon. good luck!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep the two friends i mentioned eat at least 6 meals a day, each meal being a fistful of protein, a fistful of carbs, and whatever fruit and veggies. they change the proportion though, she's trying to stay thin so she eats less carbs and more salads, he's trying to gain and burns a lot of calories biking so he eats as much protein and carbs as he can through the whole day and skips the salads.

they're worse for reading labels than i am and they're omni. they're always watching for fats in everything, one avoids them like the plague, the other wants as much of it as possible (good fats)

but anyway, i find it hard to eat all day because i work in retail, i can't talk to customers with a mouth full of food. but i can start bringing nuts to work to munch on when it's slow. we usually have a stash of licorice in the drawer

the brand of nutella has totally slipped my mind. i'll know it when i see it. my grocery store didn't have it when i went today, but i'm going to another store tomorrow to get oatmeal (cheaper there) so i'll check for it there.

the only thing in the ingredients that's questionable is "emulsifier". it doesn't say what source it's from. so once i find it i'm going to look for a web address on the label and contact the company before buying it. i did however find another type of spread, cinnamon spread. it looks like map-o-spread. mmmmmm sugar. i might get some. map-o-spread has dairy i think but the cinnamon one doesn't.

for now i got myself some mixed nuts and some trail mix, i'll take one to work and leave the other home so i have some to munch wherever i am. i also got soy yogurt which is pretty high in calories and protein, and of course ramen noodles which are a good lunch for me because it's fast and they're over 400 calories per package

you know what the worst part of it all is? while at the doctor's office, i was there just to get my prescription renewed but then asked if i could weigh myself because i don't own a scale. never needed one before. anyway i find out i've lost 6 pounds and i tell him i'm worried because my weight very rarely fluctuates. he says "yep, that's a lot to lose for someone of your stature. well... see you later."

uhhhhhh

shouldn't he be concerned? should he not be asking me questions at this point to find out why i lost weight and telling me i need to gain it back and how to do so safely etc?

this guy is such a twit. i mean i have a thyroid condition which makes most people gain weight. you'd think he'd have a little more to say about me suddenly losing weight when i shouldn't be.

anyway thanks guys, any other ideas are still welcome. i know a lot of people on the boards have suffered an ED at some point so i know a lot of people have had to learn to eat more and gain weight. it's hard!!!

i should maybe call my brother and ask him for advice. he's been trying to gain weight for years, he knows a fair bit about sports nutrition and stuff so he may have ideas too

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
LadyFaile,

did your doc test your thyroid? hyperthyroid will cause sudden unexplained weight loss.. better to be safe then sorry!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

so i asked friends of ours, one lost a lot of weight on the body for life program and her husband is on the same program trying to gain weight (just eating different amounts for a different result). both of them suggested nuts. lots and lots of nuts, that i should just snack on them constantly. she also gave me some recipes for cookies and things that i can make and snack on that are all high in calories and carbs.

but i'd appreciate any other ideas because i'm sure i'll get sick of nuts if i eat them every day
I'd be concerned about eating a lot of nuts... it isn't really good for your digestion. If you do go that route, try soaking them overnight first.

You may want to try doing weight lifting/resistance exercises to build muscle, rather than just adding calories (of course, you'd want to do that too.)

Avocados are calorie dense, and full of EFAs. You could also try eating the same things you're eating, just more of it.

You're going to think I'm nuts, but if you eat less often, that may actually help. It slows down your metabolism some. I know some people who only eat twice a day, and they keep their weight pretty stable. If you're just nibbling all day, this may be something to consider.

I'd reccommend starting your day off with a big smoothie containing at least 3 or 4 bananas in addition to the rest of the fruit you put in there and maybe some cereal or have leftovers from dinner the night before, have a good sized lunch, a "snack" (which would actually be the same size as a regular meal), and dinner.

Alternatively, (and this is what I'd probably do, but probably not what I SHOULD do... ) you could start having lots of "treats" - for example, vegan ice cream.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Ack. When I was underweight my doc would go into fits if I hadn't gained anything; if I had lost weight, I think he might have actually hit me!

The way I gained weight is far from safe for someone with a thyroid problem, though, so I don't think I can help you.
I do know how hard it is to gain, so I feel your pain there. I hope you like avocados! That's the only thing I can think of off hand... and if you like desserts, maybe you should have a piece of pie everyday or something.
I tried having a pint of ice cream every day back then, but I still didn't gain.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts