VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of trying one of the non-turkey products this year for Thanksgiving. Has anyone tried either or both of these products, Now & Zen UnTurkey or Tofurky? If so, would you be able to share your thoughts on it?

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
I've never tried UnTurkey but you will not find a bigger Tofurky fan than myself!

Good stuff. We usually make it according to the directions (which may have changed - our marinade includes orange juice, brown sugar, and I think soy sauce) and then wrap some potatoes, onion, and carrot in with the foil.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Tofurky was a little odd to me the first time I had it but I kind of like it. I found out it's not vegan so I just recently made a stuffed tofu turkey myself and I liked that a lot.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Tofurky was a little odd to me the first time I had it but I kind of like it. I found out it's not vegan so I just recently made a stuffed tofu turkey myself and I liked that a lot.
Really? The tofurky site says it is, and I always believed it to be.

http://www.tofurky.com/products/tofurkyfeasts.htm

And the ingredients are:

Ingredients: water, vital wheat gluten, organic tofu (water, organic soybeans, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride), white beans, garbanzo beans, non genetically engineered corn starch, natural vegetarian flavor, expeller pressed non genetically engineered canola oil, shoyu soy sauce (water, non genetically engineered soy beans, wheat, salt, culture), spices, lemon juice, calcium lactate from beets.

Also: Each feast is 100% vegan, cooks in about an hour, serves four and tastes fabulous!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:

And the ingredients are:

Ingredients: water, vital wheat gluten, organic tofu (water, organic soybeans, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride), white beans, garbanzo beans, non genetically engineered corn starch, natural vegetarian flavor, expeller pressed non genetically engineered canola oil, shoyu soy sauce (water, non genetically engineered soy beans, wheat, salt, culture), spices, lemon juice, calcium lactate from beets.

Also: Each feast is 100% vegan, cooks in about an hour, serves four and tastes fabulous!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:

And the ingredients are:

and: We are certified organic processors (by Oregon Tilth) and certified vegan(by the Vegan Society).

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I tried to go to the unturkey website and see where it's sold in my neighborhood. Looks like nowandzen.net no longer exists (at least on the web). Anyone know if they have a new website or did they completely go out of business?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

And the ingredients are:

and: We are certified organic processors (by Oregon Tilth) and certified vegan(by the Vegan Society).
Well, that's good to know...unless it was a particular brand that I had....or else I was very vegan inexperienced at the time and wasn't sure on what I was doing!

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac wine View Post

Now & Zen went out of business.

Are you sure?
I saw UnTurkey at WF tonight and got one pretty much solely because of this post (I've never tried it before).

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm pretty sure. I tried ordering some (I run a vegan shop with a friend and we wanted to get some in for customers) and they didn't come and the invoice said they were no longer being manufactured b/c they were out of business. I was bummed altough not that surprised because I had heard they were looking for a buyer to take the line for quite a while and having a hard time with it, so....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A store by us sells Now & Zen. Now & Zen's assets were sold to another business, San Rafael-based Green Options which continues to make the product. This is all I was able to find out about the company: 17 Paul Dr Ste 104, San Rafael, CA 94903; 415-883-6100. This is a private company and I don't know how accurate this information is as it comes from the web.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i've only had tofurky and liked that. not all the time, but once or twice a year it's nice to have for the holidays when everyone else is eating their turkey. plus it comes witha nice stuffing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts