VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any plain, unsweetened non-dairy yogurts? I can only seem to find a few soy yogurts, and they are all sweetened..<br><br><br><br>
I have just given up dairy but I was a big yogurt-eater b/c I liked the benefits of acidophilus..I could just take supplements I know but I'd like to get it in yogurt-form if possible..<br><br><br><br>
Anybody have any suggestions??<br><br><br><br>
Thanks!! Bethany

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As far as I know, no, there are no unsweetened non-dairy yogurts on the market now, at least not in the States. Silk claims that the sugar is needed for the cultures to grow, and that sugar appears naturally in milk.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
By unsweetened I assume you mean the kind you could use as sour cream and not the kind with fruit and sugar? I am in the UK and buy Alpro Soya yogurt on occation but make my own mostly. There has to be some sweetener for the cultures to react to and make yogurt. I use soy milk sweetened with apple juice (it comes that way) to make my yogurt but if they are out and I buy unsweetened soya milk I add 2 TB agave or maple syrup to give some sugar for the cultures to feed from. It still comes out tart and can be used for sour cream (with a bit of lemon juice added) not sweet like the fruit and sugar ones. If I want that I add some jam to what I've made.<br><br><br><br>
You can google recipes to make soy yogurt. basically I sterilize everything with boiling water, fill my 1 litre jar with boiling water and let it heat up then heat the soya milk until it's 180 degrees and then take it off the heat, put in in a sink of cool water to drop the temp and then when it is 120 degrees i stir in a few TB of storebought yogurt as a starter. (I use the soy yogurt as a starter but have made the starter with cows yogurt when it was all I had) then pour the boiling water from the hot jar, dry with a paper towel and then pour in the hot milk and wrap in 2 tea cosys and put in my airing cupboard overnight next to my hot water heater. The next morning, put in the fridge before I go to work. Come home and it is ready. It is thinner than commercial yogurt so if you want it thicker--tie it in a tea towel hang it on the tap over the sink and let the whey drain out. Then it will thicken up.<br><br><br><br>
edit: save back 2 TB of what you make to be your starter for the next batch.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wildwood makes a plain unsweetened soy yogurt that's available in the US. Sometimes hard to find, depending on where you live, but very good! I use it with Indian food to make raita and such. Nummy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts