VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in class just now, hungry, and the only vegan-friendly option in the vending machine (or so I thought) was barbeque flavored Baked Lays. I read the ingredient list, turns out they have freaking chicken of all things in them!!!!

Any other foods we should know about?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Juices that contain red dye #4. Juices containing fish oils. Dairy in "soy cheese"
Interestingly enough I was watching "How its Made" last night and sombreros aren't vegan, they are dipped in gelatin to hold their shape.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

Juices that contain red dye #4. Juices containing fish oils. Dairy in "soy cheese"
Interestingly enough I was watching "How its Made" last night and sombreros aren't vegan, they are dipped in gelatin to hold their shape.
Probably the old or authentic ones, I can't imagine that the crazy common factory-produced cheap ones are made by people who actually go through that effort.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

I saw that one too! I was very upset that sombreros aren't vegan!!

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Twinkies. What the what do you need beef for in a basic frosting filled cake? I've heard they also have lard, but the one I saw were banana flavored and didn't have the lard. Milk wasn't that surprising, but the beef was.

I had no idea marshmallows had gelatin in them until I read that here, but I didn't eat them much as an omni anyway so I didn't buy any before reading that

Chicken in vegetable broth

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
This isn't quite the same... but it always makes me laugh that meat flavoured crisps are usually vegetarian. They do usually contain dairy though :s

I also found that walkers salt and vinegar crisps now contain milk - :O not impressed.

I found "meat extract" in creamed coconut once, which was really odd, but I never have since. I am begining to wonder if it was a dream, although my mum was there so I know it wasn't!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I also found that walkers salt and vinegar crisps now contain milk - :O not impressed.
Of course there's milk in salt & cinegar crisps. when was the last time you were in a chippie and someone didn;t ask for salt, vinegar, and MILK on their chips? It's traditional.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My sister recently went on holidays to Argentina and found beef on a traditional sweet treat we had always had as children. I could not believe it!
Fish on bread, yes, there is a bread here in Aus with omega 3.
I was also surprised to read that some wines indicate on their labels that they have been made with milk and fish... I still wonder what on earth they use it for.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

This isn't quite the same... but it always makes me laugh that meat flavoured crisps are usually vegetarian. They do usually contain dairy though :s

I found "meat extract" in creamed coconut once, which was really odd, but I never have since. I am begining to wonder if it was a dream, although my mum was there so I know it wasn't!
The salt & vinegar isn't that recent. But there's still a few other brands, like mccoy's, that are suitable.

Milk in oven chips.

Gelatin in biscuits.

And leather on the inside of a dress I liked. o_O

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azusapriss View Post

I was also surprised to read that some wines indicate on their labels that they have been made with milk and fish... I still wonder what on earth they use it for.
Isinglass (from fish) is used to remove sediment from wine (and beer). They use all kinds of craziness as finings, but vegan options exist and are not uncommon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently learned that McDonald's uses beef flavoring in their french fries. As if their fries weren't disgusting enough already!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts