VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over a month ago my dog got hurt because an unleashed dog attacked him. Luckily, he only pulled a muscle but he was hurting quite a bit for a few days. Now that he is better I dont want any dogs near him unless he is at the dog park. Before this happened, if an unleashed dog came up to us while out for a walk I would apprehensively let Charlie meet these dogs. I tried to remain very calm while they met. Most of the time everything was fine. Now, I want to convey to dog owners that I dont want their unleashed dog coming up to us uninvited (that is if the owner is around, that is not always the case). How do I go about doing this? I have tried the polite approach, Please put your dog on a leash, I am usually ignored or called a name.

Today I kind of flipped out, it was not a pretty sight. An unleashed dog came running up to us very fast. The owners werent very near so I just yelled at the dog, GET! That seemed to work because the dog just stopped and turned around and went back to the owners that were calling it. Of course they just yelled at the dog instead of putting it on a leash. The dog ran at us again. I yelled again and the dog went back. This time I said , A leash works pretty well. No answer from the owners but at least no name calling. Then maybe 2 minutes later another loose dog comes with a man and three young girls. I was already wound up from the first incident. I told the dog to get when it came up to us. The owner did nothing. When the dog came up behind my dog. I started yelling. I lost control. I told him to put his F-ing dog on a leash, (that is very uncharacteristic of me, I try to never use that word). He also insinuated that because my dog barked that I was the one that needed to control my dog. That made me really angry. Here we were minding our own business and when my leashed dog barks at a strange dog that is getting in his face we are the guilty party. He never did restrain his dog.

I guess I just needed to rant a little. What do you do in these situations? Most of the time my dog enjoys meeting other dogs but I would much rather they meet when they are both leashed or both off the leash, as in the dog park. The owners that let their dogs run loose dont understand or care how unfair it is to the dog that is leashed. I guess they are too stupid to see the difference.

In the past couple of years we have been attacked by dogs that came out of nowhere and were trying to really cause damage. Those incidents and what happened last month have made me much more wary than I used to be.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think those owners are being completely irresponsible. It is just creating a very tense and unhealthy situation to have one dog on a leash and the other not. Can these owners be reported?

It sounds like you were firm with the dogs and the outcome was good.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I carry spray but haven't had to use it yet. I will only use it if it's obvious the loose dog means to fight. Unleashed dogs with stupid owners are one of my biggest annoyances. It's why I didn't start a dog walking business though people keep telling me I should. My dogs can handle themselves if we meet an aggressive dog. A client's toy poodle cannot. I'd suggest staying as calm as possible though. Even though you want to clobber the owner, I'd advise getting your dog home first and then go back. That's what I have done in the past. Of course half the time people then won't answer their door. But it beats a huge dog fight because I got too excited and my dogs picked up on it. Oftentimes, as you have found, a stern "get outta here" without getting excited will stop the other dog. But I recommend ordering spray just in case. Mine is called halt or back off or something like that. Only cost me 5 bucks or so on Amazon. I have noticed the mail carriers around here with it too.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

I told him to put his F-ing dog on a leash, (that is very uncharacteristic of me, I try to never use that word).
I see nothing wrong with the F word, just that we can't type it out on here.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could report the incident but nothing will be done because I don't know who these people are, usually because this happens on or near a popular hiking trail. There are leash laws but many people don't feel the need to comply when walking on this particular hill. It is about 120 acres of forest next to a lake so people don't have to worry about cars.

People can be so weird about leashes. Last summer there were too big dogs running loose and bothering people and other dogs near my house. When I confronted the owner about it she said she didn't believe in leashes. I told her she was being rude for not restraining her dogs.

I do carry spray because of what happened last year. A dog that two girls had found and were going to release to animal control got away from them. It attacked from behind like a wild animal going after its prey. Thankfully, there were a lot of people around and some big strong guys pulled the dog off.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I see nothing wrong with the F word, just that we can't type it out on here.
That's your right. I think my point would have been better made if I had remained calm and used another word to express myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh, very sorry to hear that but I think there must be a legislation about the unleashed and wandering dog.

I reminded an incident when my little chow (beagle) was killed in such attack and I couldn't do anything for

him. I don't want such incident to be happen again. Love your dogs and do what you can for do for them.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My dog unfortunay doesnt get along with other dogs. If i see another dog leashed or not i muzzle her just to be safe.
When i walk my dog i know which houses have dogs that run loose (not that people shouldnt be aloud to let there dogs run lose on there own property, but most times the owners arent paying attention and there dogs run out on the road to come see us) so i know at which points on route to muzzle jasper. On quite a few occasions a little lab named izzy started following us right in the middle of the road, at that time i didnt know the dog route so jasper wasnt muzzled, so i had to keep walking and hoped the dog would just turn around or he owners would come after it. I didnt want a dog figjt to break out (its not a busy road) and now like i said i muzzle jasper at certain parts of my route and ifs a good thing bc izzy always comes to see us bu now i can put her back in her yard until her owners come out.

Theres a lake near my house where ppl let there dogs loose, and there are leash laws and lots of signs posted, but i had to stop goig there for fear a dog might run up to us. Its not fair for my dog to be muzzled on such a joyous walk just because other people cant keep thee dogs on a leash

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
You can get Jasper a basket muzzle if you don't already have one. That way he can still open his mouth and pant and you wouldn't have to keep putting the muzzle on, then taking it off. I'd be having a discussion with the people who let their dogs run loose though. Irresponsible dog owners get on my nerves.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I usually go with a "My dog gets very upset and stressed when unleashed dogs run up to him. Please leash your dog" Sound calm (if you can, tough when your dog is freaking out) and make direct eye contact. I find it usually makes the person feel, or at least look, like an ass.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
My dog was attacked my an off leashed dog and had tubes having out of his neck to train a grapefruit sized abscess from the bite, and dogs seem to really just not like my dog (who has never been agressive towards anything, but has been repeatedly snapped at). So my dog gets much less time out and about than I would like, simply because people in my town ignore any leash laws that may exist, and I can't risk that happening again, it would kill me (and him).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts