VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband & i adopted a cat last august, he's a 3 year old neutered male.We told the people in the sanctuary that any cat we adopted wouldn't have access to the outside as we live in a penthouse apartment,we were told the cat would be fine as an indoor cat.I'm begining to wonder if we were told that just to make us take him, as he'd been there a long time & someone else had already returned him as he has a bit of an attitude, but we wanted to give him a chance.Anyway, i don't think he's happy, he sits at the window & cries & paws at the glass,he seems so sad & it breaks my heart.He has loads of toys, and plenty of interaction & is rarely left on his own for long but i feel like it isn't fair that he can't be outside, we've discussed giving him to a shelter, but i'm not sure i could put him through it, he's had at least 3 homes in his short life.I also feel like we were slightly duped into rehoming him,as he clearly is not happy with the indoor lifestyle.The last thing we want to do is rehome him,but if it's best for him, we have no choice

We don't really know what to do, any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Does he have lots of places to climb, like cat trees? Plus you can help recreate an outdoor environment by growing him some wheat grass. You can find hard winter wheat berries at your local HFS. Cats love to eat wheatgrass. Maybe you could also consider getting him a playmate.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My cats are happier when they can see wildlife outside, even if they can't get to it. Birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc. They also LOVE it when spring comes and I open the windows again. The two of them fight over who gets to sit in the window and smell the outdoors. You need to make sure you have good quality screens that are tight in the window, though. Push on them a bit to make sure your kitty won't be able to get out. These days, both of my cats are sniffing the fresh air whenever I open the door. They're ready for spring.

Different cats like different kinds of toys. One of mine prefers bottle caps over anything. The other prefers those awful stuffed mice. He likes to dump them in his water dish, too. You may want to consider getting your cat a kitten or other playmate, too, for company. Many cat books talk about how to introduce a new cat to a household that already has one.

Edited to add: my male cat (the younger one) loves his cat tree, but the older one isn't too impressed. She's more interested in paper bags.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Would it be possible to take him outside for a short period of time each day, but supervised? I'm thinking you might put a collar and leash or harness on him to allow him to walk around, sniff the flowers, etc. I've read of people who will actually walk their cats in this way. It allows the cats to experience the outdoors without the dangers that they would normally get into if they were allowed to run free and unsupervised.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Letting a cat out can be dangerous--hit by a car, bitten by another animal (like a stray w/FIV)--best to keep him indoors. Plus it's the law in most places. I liked Amy's idea to take him out in a controlled way if it must be done. In addition to leashes, they sell cat "strollers" and netted "tunnels" for outdoor kitty use.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
http://www.thecatshouse.com/

This is awesome...it would be dangerous for me....I started out with six cats (down to four
)...my family already teases me that as I get older I'm going to be the proverbial 'cat lady' with 100 cats. If my house was adapted, such as the one in the link, it would be very hard to not take in more and more kitties!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2 indoor cats, one seem very happy living indoors, but the other one sometimes cries at the door and wants to go out, but he can't go out because I live in the city. I have tried walking him on a leash, it does not work. But I have a backdeck in my new apartment (3rd floor) and when spring comes i am going to put up a net so he can sit outside with me, but it will be fenced so he can't fall down. I am going to grow catnip and other nice things and there are fat pigeons so he can watch them. I have been thinking that my cat probably would be better of out on the countryside, but I would never give him up to someone I don't know, I am voluntering at a cat shelter and there are so many abandoned cats. One day i am going to to move out to the countryside, because i think both me and him will be happier then, in the meantime I try to activate him with toys, pay a lot of attention, open the windows (with screens of course) so he can smell weird smells from outdoors. I have bought a catfountain that he loves to drink from and play with and i am going to buy or build a climbing tree. Does your cat have a friend? Some cats prefer company, some do not, but if he likes other cats maybe he needs a companion to play with?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i agree with amy's suggestion. alternatively, do you have a porch? i'm on a third floor apt in the city and my cat LOVES to go out on the porch (in nice weather). just to sit on a cushiony chair and sleep. it settles his craving to be "outdoors" completely.

he also has a little cat "house" thing indoors that he really enjoys.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
They sell dvd's that you can have on tv all day b/c they loop of animals and animal noises that cats love, I bought one for my cat and she adores it.

You may want to consider the cat tree as someone suggested, do you use cat nip?

Also have you considered getting him a friend?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts