VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread for us people who has been involuntary singles for quite some time, maybe forever, and thus we can share tips and tricks for bettering the chances of meeting someone special. Problems regarding intimacy or social skills may be discussed as well here, but most related issues are ok.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Well I'm assuming he was referring to being unhappy about being single rather than being unhappy as a general disposition.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

If you are unhappy then not even other unhappy people will want you.
I do not believe this to be true.

I also believe it is unhelpful. What are you suggesting? Be a phoney and "put on a happy face"?

People should be honest with themselves and with others.

I would ask the OP (Envy) this question:

Suppose you had a friend named Debra. You tell her you are single and looking for a companion of the opposite sex.

She mentions that she has a single friend named Jane who might very well be compatible with you, and Debra offers to make an introduction.

Debra then mentions that Jane is unhappy.

Do you lose interest in Jane?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
So this is the

thread?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Well I'm assuming he was referring to being unhappy about being single rather than being unhappy as a general disposition.
This is what I assumed as well.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Suppose you had a friend named Debra. You tell her you are single and looking for a companion of the opposite sex.

She mentions that she has a single friend named Jane who might very well be compatible with you, and Debra offers to make an introduction.

Debra then mentions that Jane is unhappy.

Do you lose interest in Jane?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

So this is the

thread?
Mostly, even though i wanted to avoid using that in the first place.

It's more for the perpetually lonely persons, so that it doesn't become too "casual" as to say.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I do not believe this to be true.

I also believe it is unhelpful. What are you suggesting? Be a phoney and "put on a happy face"?

People should be honest with themselves and with others.

The beginning of the title sounds like an informercial. I was expecting to hear about some n amazing new product or service that will magically make you happy and hook you up with someone all for the low price of 3 small payments of $49.99.
(Shipping and handling not included.)

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I'm assuming single means, unattached, as well as unmarried. If so, I've been single since 1980.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Being single and unhappy is a bit of a catch-22.

If you are unhappy then not even other unhappy people will want you.
In all fairness, Clueless, since you're not "single," you should be the first to share your tips. How did you bring about the end of your solitude?

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

In all fairness, Clueless, since you're not "single," you should be the first to share your tips. How did you bring about the end of your solitude?
Wells fair is fair, as they say, so ...

Dating sites.

No big plan there. Just a very honest profile making it clear that I am an opionated a-hole with a sense of humour from which any sane woman should hitch her skirts and run.

I guess it was like a "if you don't like bald headed nutters then kindly move along .." kinda thing.

Sent 'winks' to any veg*an ladies that lived within striking distance.

Was VERY carefull not be disheartened by rejection and blatant rudeness which, unhappily, were not at all rare.

The pitfall is trying to adapt yourself into what you think other people want you to be rather than just being true to yourself.

On that note a word of warning to the ladies!

I studied other male users while I was on these sites: There were a number of predatory types who took the art of telling the ladies what they had learned would would get them dates into something of an art form. Some had mail bombed ladies with a variety of introductions and follow ups and rather scientificaly analysed which combinations get the best response.

If a man just seems too good to be true then too good to be true is, most likely, exactly what he is.

Tip for the blokes: Don't be afraid to make first contact but past that point if the ladies like your profile then let them make the next move.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only problem with dating sites is that it's like 10-20 guys for every gal.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Many churches put on "singles" programs. I think you should take a crack at some of these. I am not religious, so was reluctant to attend these, but most people are not there for the religion. So you are foolish if you pass these up out of religious/non-religious scruples.

At the session I attended, there were about 35 women and two men (one of which was me).

I met a woman with whom I had a five-year relationship.

Just an idea. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, might be worth a try.

The only thing I'm scared of is being stuck in a relationship that I don't like just because I don't want to hurt the other persons feelings.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

The thread for us people who has been involuntary singles for quite some time, maybe forever, and thus we can share tips and tricks for bettering the chances of meeting someone special. Problems regarding intimacy or social skills may be discussed as well here, but most related issues are ok.
You should be honest about being a virgin and wanting to change that. Some horny women might find that more appealing than they would find some experienced "players" available on the market appealing. You could try to make a mock-eBay-like ad where you are selling a mint-condition virginity with free shipping.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

You should be honest about being a virgin and wanting to change that. Some horny women might find that more appealing than they would find some experienced "players" available on the market appealing. You could try to make a mock-eBay-like ad where you are selling a mint-condition virginity with free shipping.
For once, I don't think he's joking here.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I wish...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Just go to a country where white guys are seen as exotic, there are plenty of them
You won't even have to try.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Just go to a country where white guys are seen as exotic, there are plenty of them
You won't even have to try.
What countries would you suggest?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

What countries would you suggest?
Most of Asia, most of South America, Cuba, Pacific Islands. Politically incorrect maybe, but hey if you're looking to hook up you might as well go where your foreign status is seen as exotic. You might even consider doing a few years at a university. I loved the time I spent at Zhejiang University, lots of fun studying language in another country for an extended period of time. And while I lived in China I was married so it wasn't my reason for being there but, regardless, if I had been interested, I couldn't walk onto a college campus, or even in front of my own class (I taught college English) for that matter, without getting hit on. Sort of spoils the whole shy Asian girl stereotype doesn't it lol...

·
Registered
116 Posts
This thread is great, lol.

-People are attracted to confidence. Getting laid can help your confidence a little but not as much as actively socializing. You'll probably find someone online that wants to mess around or maybe even make you their little sex pet, but you'd likely be happier with a real partner. It's very common to feel socially awkward, but allowing that to limit your action and personal growth will only hinder your likelyhood of being able to attract and maintain a relationship where you're happy. Talk to people outside the web, getting a job in sales or reception could help you a lot. Get used to people, approaching them easily, making conversation, flirting a little.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts