VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there something or someone that everyone around you seems to find really funny but that absolutely crushes your soul?

I'm thinking a person, show, movie, cartoon strip, whatever. (No members of VB need be mentioned.
)

I'm thinking of times like, say when I saw the movie Rat Race and people were howling in the aisles with laughter whereas I was sitting in stunned silence pulling my leg hairs to try to stay awake and fight through the boredom.

That sort of thing.

Here's my list.

Least funny funny person: Martin Short.

He wasn't funny on SCTV. He wasn't funny on SNL. He totally got outclassed and outfunnied when he was on The Colbert Report. He's also creepy as all get out.

Least funny funny show: Trailer Park Boys.

Somebody write them a script with jokes and maybe I'll tune in. I've watched this show drunk and didn't even smirk.

Least funny funny movie: Austin Powers. (Pick one.)

It wasn't funny when Mike Myers said "Yeah baby!" And every time anyone has every tried to impersonate him since baby Jesus weeps salty tears of godlike sorrow.

So, um yeah. What's on your list?

ETA: Funny is a subjective thing. So if someone says they think something you think is funny is unfunny, I doubt you'd be able to convince them otherwise. So please just let them express their opinion and leave it at that. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I don't find it funny when acquaintences are howling with laughter over stories of killing an animal.

Same goes for racist, sexist and otherwise horribly-stereotypical jokes.

At first viewing, Monty Python and the Holy Grail fit this category for me, but then when I started laughing with friends about different parts of it... "Well, I got better!"... "What is your nameeeeeee? What is your favorite colorrrrrr?..." and the Knights Who Say "Ni!" I realized it was far funnier after the fact.

I did not find Dodgeball to be funny. A few parts of Shaun of the Dead were, but I'm not a fan of zombie movies to begin with, so that's my disclaimer.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I don't find it funny when acquaintences are howling with laughter over stories of killing an animal.
Oh yeah. I was thinking mainstream media type stuff. But if we're talking stupid things omnivores say, then stuff like when I went to a farm house for a murder mystery party last weekend where we all crashed on various beds and, because my wife couldn't make it, I got a bed in a hallway and, so, anyway, I was doing something annoying as is my wont:

Really judgemenatal killjoy chick I know: If you don't stop that I am going to stuff a pepperoni in your mouth while you're sleeping.

Is not funny. But my comeback:

TJ: Funny. I had something similar planned for you.

Was. (It's all in the delivery.)

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Hmmm.. good thread.

All the cutesy turkey decorations and cartoons that are up in the hallways of our school (and everywhere) this time of year. I don't get why the very animal you're going to kill and eat is the subject of cute decorations, jokes, cartoons and children's artwork.

Will Farrell. I hate his humor. I just don't "get" him. I loathed Talledega Nights (and I realize it did get some poor reviews) but like jeezy said above, "the rest of the theater was howling with laughter".

Certain words that have become commonplace and even humorously-used in our language yet to some people, for whatever reason, (though I realize not to everyone) they are still upsetting, painful or offensive. Enough said.

The "Dead Baby" jokes that my 13-year-old and friends think are hilarious!! (But then, they're 13, everything I find offensive is humorous to them, and sometimes I find THAT troubling...).

I could think of more, and probably will...

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I hate movies like Joe Dirt, Zoolander, and Old School. It seems that nearly everyone in their twenties thinks these movies are hilarious. As a college student, I frequently saw these movies put on at various social get-togethers, and it seemed that everyone would be howling but me.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I don't get it when people laugh/make fun of other people, whether it be the way they look, dress etc. What is so entertaining about pointing out someone's shortcomings? And who makes them the judge of what's 'normal' or acceptable? This happens at work a lot. And we're supposedly all adults.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Primetime network TV, Napolean Dynamite(that movie was painful), Malcolm in the Middle, That 70s Show, and anything else that Fox tries to get Simpsons straggler ratings from. Oh, and how could I forget UPN and the WB. Does anybody know what CW actually stands for?

This is funny. Haha or uh-oh, you tell me.

~Wonder

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Jackass - the movie and tv show, adam sandler. Can't find anything funny about either one.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Will Farrell. I hate his humor. I just don't "get" him. I loathed Talledega Nights (and I realize it did get some poor reviews) but like jeezy said above, "the rest of the theater was howling with laughter".
I used to die laughing when he played one of the cheerleaders on SNL.. and when he played the cowbells.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I don't get it when people laugh/make fun of other people, whether it be the way they look, dress etc. What is so entertaining about pointing out someone's shortcomings? And who makes them the judge of what's 'normal' or acceptable? This happens at work a lot. And we're supposedly all adults.
totally agree!!!
this is one of my biggest pet peeves, and it happens a LOT. but i believe the main reason people do it is because of their own insecurities. my cousin made fun of me the other night for wearing fluffy socks to the bar.

sorry to go off topic though...

um, i don't think tofu is as funny as a lot of people do.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Dumb comedies that make you feel offended and that the whole world has gone stupid! For example: Failure to Launch, Date Movie, 40 Year Old Virgin.

For the love of humanity make it stop!!!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

In some industries, making fun of the craziest of the crazies in your public is the only way to stay sane. You think nutty people write Letters to the Editor? You should see the letters that don't get printed.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

In some industries, making fun of the craziest of the crazies in your public is the only way to stay sane. You think nutty people write Letters to the Editor? You should see the letters that don't get printed.
Well, I was referring to real people...co-workers being made fun of. I don't have a need to ridicule someone because they are overweight and they happen to not dress in the current fashion! I feel like it's high school stuff when I see 3-4 people hudled together laughing at some else's expense.

But then I may have misinterpretted this thread...it seems to be more about movies that are supposed to be funny and not the situations I am referring to!

·
Registered
24 Posts
"Least funny funny show: Trailer Park Boys.

Somebody write them a script with jokes and maybe I'll tune in. I've watched this show drunk and didn't even smirk."

WTF? TPB is amazing, it isn't well known here in Britain (on Paramount Comedy) but its possibly the best thing on TV. Yeah its a bit far-fetched but its a welcome change from the same old same old from most 'comedies'.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Jackass - the movie and tv show, adam sandler. Can't find anything funny about either one.
These are the exact two things I was going to say! The fact that both are so popular makes me despair about the future of humanity,

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I used to die laughing when he played one of the cheerleaders on SNL.. and when he played the cowbells.
Me too. Although I haven't seen any Will Ferrell movies and judging by the reviews probably wouldn't like them much, I find him just inherently funny and loved him on SNL.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts