VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are lots of things that are not vegan but what are some things I should atch out for that are not vegetarian. I know the obvious is Jello..

What else? Thanks

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
some grapefruit juice in the US uses crushed up bugs to make it pink instead of letting the juice be brownish like it really is. I have yet to see bright pink grapefruit in the UK.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

some grapefruit juice in the US uses crushed up bugs to make it pink instead of letting the juice be brownish like it really is. I have yet to see bright pink grapefruit in the UK.
As a Floridian, I actually know people who grow grapefruits in their backyards that are naturally pink, so this one strikes me as very odd. I'm guessing we wouldn't have this problem with local brands of juice, but I also don't drink the stuff, so I don't really care.

--Fromper

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverose View Post

I know there are lots of things that are not vegan but what are some things I should atch out for that are not vegetarian. I know the obvious is Jello..

What else? Thanks
Gelatin is in a lot of things including some yogurts, sour cream (espeically some of the fatfree varieties), Altoids, gummy bears and a lot of candies

I've found carmine for coloring in several drinks, so double check labels on orange and pink beverages.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ceaser Dressing!!

i didnt like it to begin with, and i dont know if this is one of those things everyone knew but me, but made with anchovies!

·
Registered
286 Posts
also, some brands of ramen are not vegetarian. A lot contain fish. It surprised the heck out of me when I read ingredents on "vegetarian" ramen and it contained fish. made me quite annoyed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Look out for gelatin in yogurts (as was mentioned), as well as any lower-fat dairy products (low-fat spread etc)- it's in many of them!

Er and cochineal/carmine is in a lot of fruit gels, red sweets, etc.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jelly Beans

Vegetable soups... often times they'll be made with CHICKEN broth!

Those boxed convenience foods in the frozen dinner aisle saying "stir-fryed vegetables with white rice" ... you'll find chicken fat on the ingredients list (blech!) (but we shouldn't be eating frozen dinners anyway, though I ALWAYS do)

um... certain types of cakes and cookies, containing gelatin

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed in some Italian dressing they put antichoves in it! I found out my second day. Thanks for the heads up on I can't believe... wow... something new everyday.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia View Post

Well, someone mentioned marshmallows (gelatin) but don't forget: rice krispies have marshmallows.
can you make rice crispies with marshmellow fluff? it dont have gelatin in it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Depending on how strict you are, lots of chocolate has non-vegetarian whey powder in it. like ferrero rochers.

er

fanta, or any coca cola drink with beta carotene in it. Noone ever believes me on that one I never believed it, so can show you the email they sent me. they use fish gelatine in the colour

uuuuhhhhh

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Depending on how strict you are, lots of chocolate has non-vegetarian whey powder in it. like ferrero rochers.

er

fanta, or any coca cola drink with beta carotene in it. Noone ever believes me on that one I never believed it, so can show you the email they sent me. they use fish gelatine in the colour

uuuuhhhhh

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head.
i thought carotene came from carrots!!!!!???

1 - 20 of 90 Posts