VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I need some mid-weekend IT help. I was just online, working on a project, then when I typed in a new address I got an error message that basically said I wasn't connected to the internet. I had a couple windows open, so I tried clicking some links, and I got the same message for everything. I restarted my computer and opened Internet Explorer. My homepage, which is the campus e-mail portal, came up after a short wait. I checked my e-mail without a problem and then tried to leave the portal to go onto a regular website. I got the error message again. I pressed the link to check my connection, and Windows checked it and said I wasn't connected to the Internet. I tried accessing my college's web site, and that came up fine, but I got the error message again when I clicked on an outside link. I can access my folders on the campus network as well.

It seems to me that the campus is blocking me from the Internet. The only thing I can think of is that my Windows Defender program (which is required here) is broken and has been sending me error messages for about three weeks. Is it possible that the college cut me off at such an arbitary time? Shouldn't they have cut off my service as soon as Windows Defender stopped working? Is there any possible way to restore Windows Defender without having access to the Internet? I tried going to their website and searching for updates, but maybe I had to reinstall the whole thing. I don't know how I can do that now, though.

I'm contacting IT as soon as possible, but I probably won't have the time until Tuesday evening. If anyone has any idea as to what may be wrong, I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Registered
897 Posts
can you reinstall Windows Defender? i imagine they make it available to you as a download on the campus network? don't know if that's it, not even sure that can be a policy, but it's worth ruling out.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

can you reinstall Windows Defender? i imagine they make it available to you as a download on the campus network? don't know if that's it, not even sure that can be a policy, but it's worth ruling out.
Actually, they do, but it takes you to one of those outside websites that doesn't work. Figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And now it's working. Apparently I'm just not meant to finish my project.

Thanks for the suggestion, Frank. Now that I have access to the Internet, I'm definitely going to reinstall Windows Defender so this doesn't happen permanently (and so Defender can actually defend my computer).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts