VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A link to a Daily Mail article about the 'risks' that British teenagers face because they are not drinking enough milk was sent to me on facebook: expecting the usual readers comments found in the Daily Mail, I skimmed the article and scrolled down to the comments section.

It has been taken over by vegans, by the look of it. Feel free to add your own comment!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...alth-risk.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Apparently, the British Dietetic Association has been completely bought out by the dairy lobby (the claim that unfortified dairy holds Vitamin D). I haven't read something that spurious in quite some time.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyface View Post

More like the Daily Fail, amirite??
Exactly.

Sad thing is, my mum religiously reads that particular... er, publication.* And gets all of her information from it. If she finds this article, I guarantee she'll be waving it in my face and telling me I'd better give up veganism or I'll DIE.

*I don't feel right calling it a newspaper, because it doesn't really report the news...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyface View Post

More like the Daily Fail, amirite??
Well, yes I know it was in the Daily Mail. Which is why the vegan comment bombing that they are receiving is so funny. The odd 'Daily Mail Reader' pro-dairy comment is lost under the deluge of the pro-vegan comments.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Exactly.

Sad thing is, my mum religiously reads that particular... er, publication.* And gets all of her information from it. If she finds this article, I guarantee she'll be waving it in my face and telling me I'd better give up veganism or I'll DIE.

*I don't feel right calling it a newspaper, because it doesn't really report the news...
argh my mum reads the daily fail too. she loves telling me "facts" and when i question whether she read it in the daily mail, she gets all flustered and says a magazine. haha.

I am going to join the green/red arrow brigade, woo

·
Registered
43 Posts
I seriously hate how dominant the notion that milk is some sort of super food is.

Mostly because that's the biggest criticism I get.

"You don't drink milk! *gasp*. Where do you get your calcium and vitamins?"

And you know, it would be one thing if milk really was good for you, but it's not even like the drink has any association with health.

I mean, it's not like it has been shown to potently influence cancer growth, or weaken muscles. Oh NO, that's not real science.

THANK GOD I'm not someone who believes everything that is spoon fed to me. Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My parents in law read the Daily Mail. And the Sun. And the News Of The World.

There is NO hope in them ever knowing anything factual in the world. They just fed exist on a diet of gossip, false accusations,innuendoes and made up or purposely twisted statistics about anyone who isn't British or anyone who isn't working.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Disquisition View Post

I seriously hate how dominant the notion that milk is some sort of super food is.

Mostly because that's the biggest criticism I get.

"You don't drink milk! *gasp*. Where do you get your calcium and vitamins?"

And you know, it would be one thing if milk really was good for you, but it's not even like the drink has any association with health.

I mean, it's not like it has been shown to potently influence cancer growth, or weaken muscles. Oh NO, that's not real science.

THANK GOD I'm not someone who believes everything that is spoon fed to me. Sheesh.
I remember someone saying (can't remember who, sorry) that the Milk Marketing Boards of the USA and the UK have set the finest example of effective marketing practice since the 1940's and have managed to convince everyone, including doctors and dieticians, that cows milk is necessary for health and that it is made for humans to drink.

The problem is now that no-one in the Western world questions it. It is just accepted as a fact by the vast majority of people.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Yeah, something with excessive hormones which encourage childhood obesity and cause girls to start puberty at age 7, and has lots of cow blood in it from the brutal mature of the milking process, is just what the kids need to grow!! *sarcasm*

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

From one non vegan response: "Fat is not fattening"

Ummmmm..
then what is? how stupid is that comment.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Their main point is on iodine, stating "One glass provides around half our daily iodine, important for a healthy thyroid and metabolism."
The RDA is 150µg(1)
(yes, I know the RDA is usually very undervalued and you need a lot more of the nutrition, but it's probably what that article is going off, or close to it).

A survey of iodine content in 20 brands of bread, 18 brands of cows milk, and eight infant formulae was performed between 2001 and 2002... All cows milk samples had at least 88 µg iodine/250 ml, ranging from 88168 µg (116.0 ± 22.1 µg/250 ml).(1)

So, drinking 500ml of milk in a day would get you to meet the RDA of iodine. That's about 16oz for those interested in a conversion, or filling up one of these measuring cups to the top line indicated and chugging it down:

That's all fine and dandy if you want to either chug that much milk, or find a way to sneak it into foods, but with the rest of the composition of milk you're ingesting more than just iodine... and the more milk you consume for iodine, the more of everything else that's in milk you're getting. I won't get into the gross-out elements found in milk, so let's look at some alternatives to cow milk for iodine.

Sea vegetables.
Something like kelp has 1,500-2,500mcg of iodine.(3)
Pretty much, if you nibble a little bit of sea veggies you're more than set for iodine.
And if you're concerned about getting too much iodine, just remember RDA is grossly undervalued in its nutritional "recommendation"--it's generally a bare minimum number for people to not die from malnutrition, haha.
Extreme doses of iodine (and many other nutrients) generally give you a huge health benefit. So go ahead and have a sea vegetable salad every day. Not only are you getting iodine, but (unlike milk) you are getting loads more of healthy nutrients--without any pus, blood, bovine growth hormones, and harsh antibiotics. Ok, so I did get into the gross-out factor, couldn't help it :^p

But what's even more frightening is the iodine in cows milk comes from the feed they give them. I am unaware what kind of iodine this is. The reason why this frightens me (read: concerns me on behalf of the non-vegans) is iodine can be radioactive. Now keep in mind that many food products are irradiated, even food products not considered "food products" like fertilizer for our plants. If radiated fertilizer is used in plants, then I'm sure dairy companies would opt for the cheapest solution and use low-grade feed with "recycled" ingredients... you'll have to either trust me on this or do the research for yourself because I've already spent a lofty amount of time on research for this post, but radioactive waste is "recycled" into food products (that aren't considered food products) and I have read it has gone into fertilizers, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it finds its way into cow feed.

Regardless, if the iodine in the cow feed is NOT radioactive, the milk itself is irradiated, which essentially turns any good iodine into bad iodine. It'll go right to your thyroid and cause health problems like thyroid disorders or cancer. Some health benefit that iodine is now, huh?
Even if they do not radiate the milk, with environmental impacts such as the Fukushima incident (fallout from Japan attributed to the radioactive iodine found in milk in the United States), random nuclear bomb tests that they never tell us about, and even old reactor incidents (like Chernobyl) still finding its way into our food, the iodine in that milk is probably not going to be the best for your health.

If their concern is about meeting iodine requirements for the thyroid, they should be ENCOURAGING the consumption of sea vegetables in place of milk.

TL;DR: Just eat foods that have iodine instead of feeding it to the cow then drinking the iodine out of its milk (get away from the garbage that's in there and get more good stuff in the foods that have iodine).

That's quite a lot of information there only on their point of iodine. The rest of their points have been refuted for about a half a century now, and I could go on several pages showing how ridiculous these claims tend to look in the face of additional factual evidence. But I'd be preaching to the choir on a vegan forum. Hope the info on the iodine was helpful to the members here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts