VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should have known. looks like theres far more that i didnt know about meatless living than i thought originally. im on my second try going veg; a few months ago i cut meat from my diet, without paying much attention to lesser ingredients such as gelatin (although i did what i could to avoid animal based broths). however, i didnt plan well and my protein was lacking severely and i ended up lapsing into meat until i was 'well' again, so to speak.

anyway, im about a month back into the healthy side of life, and have learned to bulk up more with my nuts and fruits. ill be having a look around here more to catch up, but what would you suggest as my mantra for my early steps? (im sure there are a great deal of threads on this already, but id rather make a post now before i get lost in the flood)

oh and hey, hi guys whats up!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Hi, iscariot, I hope that we can help you with ideas. You might want to look into things like meat substitutes if it makes it easier for you (though personally I don't use them if I can help it.). TVP for example, which comes in chunks or mince, provides a lot of protein. Soya, aswell - in soy milk, tofu, soya nuts, or the raw soya beans themselves (which you can find in the freezer section, I have discovered!!), often called edameme. All these foods provide you with plenty of protein, as will your nuts and seeds. Just watch the fat content of the nuts!! You can get plenty of protein from beans such as chickpeas (garbanzos), kidney beans, etc, as well as lentils. Lentils make great curries, or even try a lentil loaf, or make lentil stuffings for veggies like squashes and peppers.

The recipies thread on here should help you with things like that, and if you have any health concerns there are health forums too!

Enjoy exploring the site and vegetarianism - if you've any questions then you can message me whenever you like.

pirate

·
Registered
897 Posts
hi iscariot - my own transition could have been smoother as well - but, to paraphrase nigel from another post, it gets easier and easier.

i wish i would have done a little more research in the beginning. i wish i had expanded on my cooking skills sooner.

·
Registered
854 Posts
iscariot -- Don't beat yourself up over it. Many kudos to you for even attempting to lead a veggie lifestyle!

piratemoon made some excellent suggestions for adding non-meat protein to your diet. Give those a try and let us know what you think!

·
Registered
78 Posts
iscariot- Glad to hear you're going veg! I found it hard in the beginning too, but doing some research about what vegetarian foods are available helped me a lot! In the beginning I ate beans, beans, and more beans, because I didn't know about the veg products that took on the taste of meat but were meatless. Eating all those beans made me unpopular for a while, (if you know what I mean), but there are Boca burgers, veggie bacon, Gardenburger riblets, chik'n patties, buffalo wings(morningstar farms), and a variety of high protein foods that are vegetarian, many at your local supermarket. Almost anything you can think of there will be a vegetarian version for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the welcome everyone! heres a bit about my meat/veg background to help you know where im coming from.

my original reasons for wanting to stop eating meat were health issues. like many people of my generation (im approaching 25), my parents didnt know how to start a balanced diet in us. i grew up eating meat so much that at one point in college, i would have chicken strips for breakfast multiple times a week; sometimes as many as six for that meal alone. i was studying philosophy (making me a sort of masochist by nature), so i wanted to see if i could deny myself what it was i had come to depend on so much. furthermore, im from oregon, where liberal lifestyles and vegetarianism in particular abound. it also didnt hurt that i wanted to lose some weight. thats about where i am now.

im still at the point where my primary interest is my health and weight loss. i still know very little about cooking, proper diet balance, and especially life without meat products. eventually, id like to be able to say that im living my life pro-animal welfare as well; i dont believe that eating meat or using animal products is wrong in and of itself, given our historical and evolutionary backgrounds, but like many of you (i suspect) im not pleased with animal cruelty. id be happiest if i could find a simple lifestyle that took as little from the rest of the world as i was able.

that being said, my biggest concerns are balancing my diet (right now i seem to be eating a lot of carbs) and learning more about veg products and which normal products to avoid. any simple suggestions on where to begin? theres a lot out there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
it can be hard in the begining, this is my second try at being veggie. its been a year now since i last ate meat. im gonna try to go vegan. theres veggieburgers and such available at regular grocery stores. hang in there and good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts