VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have this class, called food and nutrition, at school. its alright. if i was vegan it wouldnt. but i am a vegetarian, and the teacher is planning this whole turkey dinner. gross, first of all...but the worse thing is the film strip we watched on how to prepare it.

First of all, it was made by the national turkey association, and helped with by the turker farmers association..or something.

Yeah, so it started out with the history of thanksgiving and stuff, and it talked about the wild turkeys they used to eat. And then it showed a comparison of today's turkeys. It talked about breeding, and how now they're more plump and their feathers are all white instead of bronze because people dont like eating things that are bronze..??? And then it showed a little cartoon of a turkey eating... and it said "but those turkeys dont get to eat whatever they want! they're fed BEEF" And how they cant walk around. and how they're killed 8 mons. or earlier.

And then it proceeds to show you how to prepare a turkey. and how to make it tender.

GROSS, and EVIL!

Are turkeys not living things which deserve our respect? to me this is no advertisment, how could it be?

I think by the end of the filmstrip everyone was staring at me because of the disgusted, horrified, and angry look on my face. I'm going to make sure it isnt MY group who cooks the turkey.
is what i say to this.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
What a hypocritical video! "The turkeys are living in horrble conditions, but lets eat them anyway!"

At my school they're announcing all these tips for National Health Week about healthy eating. Today's tip was "Eat 3 meals a day. You need enough fat and protien in your diet." Too bad they failed to mention how most kids get too much fat and too much protein and how 25% of american children are overweight. Yesterday's tip was the same thing except it said something about eating a big breakfast. If you're going to give us health tips, at least give different tips each day and tips that will actually benefit the average person.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I feel for you

People will probably try to convice you about that stuff about turkey and thanksgiving. It is largely a myth. Turkey was a small side dish. The true sysmbol of thanksgiving was suppose to be the cornicopa which made far more sense.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Eugh... in my Nutrition class we had to have a chicken dinner thing. Of course, I had to eat it or I'd get a zero (and that was the biggest project of the year). However, I ate strawberries (which I'm allergic to) the day before, so I didn't have to go to school... I just had to do a report on how to prepare & cook it. A-holes, my school is.

I hope you don't have to cook the turkey, though. *shrudders*

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
How can they make you eat anything? I think you could complain about that and not get docked the grade.....

Anyways, I never had a nutrition class in high school so I'm not excatly sure what they teach you there. I don't think you should have to cook turkey though. If it were me I would refuse. You should go talk to your teacher about it. And I agree that it is disgusting that people can still eat turkey after seeing a video showing their living conditions.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Thank goodness for that.

I was going to mention this in my last reply but forgot....When I was in high school taking freshman bio, we disected squid and then fried them up and ate them! EWWWW....I refused to eat mine and therefore got points taken off of my lab for not even 'trying'. I wasn't even veg back then but I wish I would have stood up for myself.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ew! thats so gross. How could you eat them after you found out exactly whats inside?

I refused to dissect in biology. I have it this year and my teacher lets me go to the library and find the info on the computer. which is also lucky.

Also, I have flocks of wild turkeys in my yard, and even before i was a vegetarian i thought it was so mean and weird to be eating something that used to walk around and find food and care for eachother. and to make them white and fat? Haha, just like the PEOPLE here. pffffft bad joke.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Yeah I know, it was disgusting.

My best friend used to have pigs (raised for meat) in her yard. I also thought it was mean and weird to be eating something that was wondering around the yard. We even had names for them. Anyways, thats what started my whole road to vegetarianism.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts