VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it might be slugs, but I'm not sure.

My greens have this "ka-ka" on the leaves. It's black and wet and looks like poo. Is this slug turds or what??

If someone knows what it is - can they tell me how to control it? ("naturally" if possible)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I've had slugs (thankfully they are mostly gone now that the rains have for the time being, stopped) and they generally leave a clearish glaze that dries shiny and eventually turns the leaf yellowish (what's left of the leaf anyway, after they've eaten it). It seems like this must be something else, but I don't have any idea what.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Hey, can this be the what's wrong with my garden thread?

I've got a problem. One of my cucumber plants have several leaves on which there are whitish places...not spots or bug eggs, but actual splotches of whitish. Looks almost like mildew. Just on one plant but I don't want it to spread to all of them.

Any idea what it is or how to get rid of it?

B

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sorry dvmarie, I have no idea what that is. "ugh" indeed.

bethanie, My zucchini plant had the same thing happen to it and it turns out that it was a fungus caused by me watering the leaves. I didn't know that would happen and it spread throughout the whole plant eventually killing it. I should have cut off the effected parts, but it was too late by the time I learned what had happened. I don't know if it's the same thing with your cucumber plant though.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bethanie

Hey, can this be the what's wrong with my garden thread?

I've got a problem. One of my cucumber plants have several leaves on which there are whitish places...not spots or bug eggs, but actual splotches of whitish. Looks almost like mildew. Just on one plant but I don't want it to spread to all of them.

Any idea what it is or how to get rid of it?

B
Good Idea on the "what's wrong with my garden thread"!!

What you have on the cucumber is probably Powdery Mildew. I get it every year at some point in the season (usually spring/rainy season). Herself is right - if you water the leaves (especially late in the day) it promotes this type of thing. It's also comes up during chronically rainy weather. Catch it early and you can either treat it or cut off the affected leaves. There are chemicals you can spray on that will stop it (if you catch it early enough - it will even save the leaves) - I don't know the name of American products off the top of my head. Really though - if you catch it while it's just on one or two leave - slice them off (cucumber plants make lots of leaves haha). If you use chemicals - for this, a little goes a long way - so you might be okay with using some just to knock it out of the garden for sure).

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
OMG, thanks...we had horribly rainy weather for a WEEK or more and I'm sure now that this is what it is...donning my sandles and heading out to the cucumbers this instant!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
" It's black and wet and looks like poo. Is this slug turds or what??"

-------------------------

Slug turds are a known natural sourse of vitamin B12

:) ... heheh

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Echhh - I'll stick to supplements (thanks anyway)

I think 1Vegan might be right - maybe bird droppings (though these were BLACK - bird poo is ually like marbled grey/white/black). I haven't been able to catch anything in the act (and believe me - I've tried) - so I just don't know.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Okay, another mystery...I have one bell pepper plant that has finally begun producing bell peppers (they are small yet, but they are definitely coming). However, the other one (I planted two in the same big pot), is dropping everything. The bloom falls off, and then you may start to see a teensy bit of green sprouting and then....drop. It's in the dirt. I thought it was going to be both plants, but clearly, now that the other one has started baring fruit, it's just the one. Any ideas? Is it just the 'bad seed?'--now i know what this phrase means
. The bad seed plant started producing FIRST....this other plant only just started. So...I'm concerned.

any help would be helpful.

B

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Usually this is due to some kind of stress.

Perhaps the one producing is the dominant one - and has the most roots. Maybe their is n't enough space in the container to support both producing fruit.

If it were me - and this continued - I'd cull the runt (gut it off at the soil level) - at least this way the dominant one will do well. (that's just me though - and I could be wrong!!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts