VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used in high school get these headaches and I was put in many dark rooms when I had be sensative. The last several years we thought what causing me sick was sinus infections.
Now today I had felt sick , back of my head near the neck hurted and I was rushed to ER to get checked, they gave me phengrine shot and something else for pain and I been groggy ever since and I tried to eat but I kept on spewing it up. I am in need of nutrients and how can I if I keep on getting sick like this.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
check into your magnesium level and foods that contain mag. Research has found that many people are deficient in that mineral, who suffer from migraines. Other than that, I can't tell you much. I don't suffer from them but my daughter does.

There are some really good migraine medications on the market. Do you know what triggered this one for you? Foods, alcohol, lack of sleep, odors, amongst many other things can trigger them.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
peacefulveglady, I was vexed with migraines for ages so I can feel your pain. They've improved a lot though. It's now been (knock on wood) about a year since I've had one. I did get an aura once maybe 3 or 4 months ago, but then nothing came of it, and I was able to get to sleep very quickly. Some ideas to kick around:

Firstly (especially if you have health insurance!), it might be worth seeing a neurologist, just to make sure there's nothing else wrong.

If you have them every now and then, it's not so helpful, but if they're a regular occurrence, definitely keep a food diary. It probably won't reveal anything that will stop the headaches altogether, but you may easily identify some trigger foods. Caffeine, soya, MSG, dairy, cruciferous vegetables...all sorts of things can be triggers. Cutting out dairy was a key for me. (also eliminated my recurrent sinus infections). For some, caffeine can actually help though too, so keep an eye on that. For me, I've only noticed the caffeine issue if I was drinking a lot of soda, etc. and then stopped. You might also find a link with blood sugar/hypoglycemia, indicated that you need to eat more frequently or something.

As PJ mentioned, knowing your other triggers can help too. Lack of sleep can be one, but for some, including me, too much sleep can have the same effect. Smells, flashing lights or dim lights, even those weird hazy weather days can set some people off too. You also may be more likely to get them at a certain time of year. Since moving here, I've had one or two every autumn. Knowing what can kick them off for you is helpful both because you can avoid those things (particularly avoiding a second trigger if you' already hit one), but also, if you know that a migraine is coming, you can often make it much less painful by catching it soon. Do you have any signs that come on before the pain? Visual disturbances/"auras", milder pain behind one eye or on one side of the head, tingling on one side of the body, slow speech...all common signs that a migraine is about to hit.

Once you know that one's on the way, the dark room is best of course, eliminating as much noise as you can. If I catch it early and can sleep or practice some meditative breathing, I can occasionally keep one at bay, though a couple of times there's been a sort of "bounce back" where the migraine just came a couple of days later. Large doses of ibuprofen along with edible caffeine helps me, but again only really if I catch it soon. Once it's full blown, the ibuprofen may slightly take the edge off, but really it doesn't do much. Tiger Balm applied on the temples helps some people as well.

I'll try and think of anything else remotely helpful. I just realized how long this post was! I really sympathize with sufferers. I watched my dad be virtually crippled with them sometimes when I was a kid. Later, they scared the crap out of me when sometimes my speech was slightly garbled, etc. I thought I was having a stroke or going crazy. Mostly, I remember the first one I had, that was exacerbated by some blood loss. I was at my folks' house recovering when it hit, and the pain was like nothing I'd had before, even though I'd had loads of injuries, etc. I honestly think that if someone would've given me the option to choose death at that point, that I might have said ok. Someone grabbing my right eye with a vice and pulling it out of the socket, while a saw cut open my skull....or at least that's what it felt like!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
They're horrible; I do hope you are feeling better now.
? I get them so often these days! Several times a week. Not sure what's causing them but I figure it might be something to do with my bad eyesight & not wearing a strong enough prescription.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I feel better but, I'll keep what everyone said for future references. This is something I forgot when we went to the store I forgot over the counter migraine pills.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I get 3-5 a year. Never had one before I met my Wife. She had been getting them years before we met and quite frequently (still does).
Her's don't start the same as mine. Here's how mine go: Start getting slightly blurred vision, then a faint blinking thin zig-zag light appears before my eyes. It gets brighter and brighter, then goes away. Within 20 minutes, my head feels like someone hit it with a baseball bat. If I stay calm, it doesn't get severe. If I'm in continous stress, it gets severe. Although in either case, when I cough, it feels like I'm being hit in the head with a baseball bat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts