VeggieBoards banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my last visit to the health food store was semi-productive. the guy there knew a lot about veganism and nutrition and the types of things we need to be careful of. he recommended this product, Udo's choice, which is a bottled oil that provides all the necessary omega fats, which i know i'm probably lacking in. it's about $10 for the small bottle which lasts a few months. you're supposed to take a spoonful of the stuff twice a day.<br><br><br><br>
problem is, it tastes aweful on it's own, though it's not a harsh taste so i think it could be something you could get used to after a while. and you can't put it in hot foods, or use it in cooking etc. he said it does taste ok on salads though so i may try that but i don't see myself eating 2 salads a day. or even one for that matter, at least not every day..<br><br><br><br><br><br>
anyone try this, hear about it, have any info or opinions on it?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I haven't tried it, but it is such a small amount to take I would just gag it down and get over it. Much easier than making salad. you could always have a glass of juice or something to drink right after to take the taste away.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Walnuts are in season now in the US and canada. Just buy some walnuts. Or you could buy cold-pressed walnut oil at about $8 for 13 oz and flavor nutbreads and nutcakes with it, instead of using flavorless oils to them. Or you could munch it by the tablespoon full -- delicious on cold cereal or warm porridge.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but soilman does walnut oil have all the same properties as this one? the purpose of the oil isn't the taste or to use it in food, but as a nutritional aid. (aid? aide?)<br><br><br><br>
smoothy, now there's an idea. i still have protein powder to use up too. blech.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Walnut oil is high in the kind of fatty acids that is the hardest to get, the same kind that is in flax seed oil. I forget what it is called. All the rest of the oils are lower in this fatty acid. Omega something. It is only present in small amounts, if at all, in sesame oil, almond oil, soybean oil, avocado oil, olive oil, pecan oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, canola oil, and cottonseed oil, but is present in large amounts, predominant, in flax seed oil, walnut oil, and fish oil. Of course, walnut oil has a nutty delicious flavor that many people like better than eithr fish oils or flax seed oil. Walnut oil isn't good in everything, but in some kinds of cookies and cakes it is wonderful.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
There are 2 kinds of dietarily essential fatty acids, omega 6 fatty acids, and omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 6 fatty acids are widespread, and just about unavoidable, in mostly all fats and oils; omega 3 fatty acids are in shorter supply, and only occur in large quantities in a small number of oils.<br><br><br><br>
There is little reason to need an omega 6 supplement, as you will get omega 6 oils everywhere. If you need any supplementation, it would be with omega 3 fatty acids.<br><br><br><br>
Walnuts and flax seed and, my favorite -- pumpkin and squash seeds -- are high in omega 3 fatty acids.<br><br><br><br>
While we need much more omega 6 fatty acids than we need omega 3 fatty acids, probably we only need 1/2 as much or less omega 3, as we need omega 6, it is conceivable that some people could benefit by increasing their omega 3 intake.<br><br><br><br>
If you have an omega 3 intake out of balance with your omega 6 intake (less than 1/2 the amount), it makes little sense to consume a teaspoon a day of an oil with a balanced amoutn of omega 6 to omega 3; what makes sense is to eat something that is unusually high in omega 3, and to eat a substantial amount of it. Daily oil intake would be, I am guessing, at least 4 tablespoons of oil a day. So you might want to up your omega 3 intake by eating a tablespoon or 2 per day of flax seed oil or walnut oil or pumpkin seed oil -- all 3 are delicious. I could drink them. Tho i think eating 1/4 pound of pumpkn seed is more fun than eating a tablespoon of pumpkin seed oil.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Remember, we are not talking about micronutrients here, we are talking about macronutrients. What you are likely to need to do is improve your <b>ratio</b> of omega 3 to omega 6, by eating more omega 3 and less omega 6. With micronutrient, simply eating a multi-micro-nutrient pill, with micronutrients in balance amoutns, will assure that you get your minimum needed micronutrients, or more. Having more, as long as it is not many many times more, is no problem.<br><br><br><br>
But eating a "supplement" with a balanced amounto of omega 3 to omega 6, will cause you to have too much omega 6, and too much fat altogether -- unless you eliminate just about all the other sources of fat from your diet, and depend on the "supplement" for all your fats. You can't really "supplement" with macronutrients. You must get enought of each, and balance their relative amounts by taking more of some and <b>less</b> of other, if necessary. Esp if ur diet is already too high in fats, as so many diets are in the industrialized west -- fats would be the <b>last</b> macro nutrient that one would want to "supplement" with. With fats, one would usually want to <b>reduce</b> the overall amount.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see my thing was, i don't get enough fats in my diet, and i mentioned to the guy at the health food store that i'd been using ground flax, he suggested that oils are easier to digest and this product uses all organic and unrefined oils and has more than just flax. it's 2:1 omega 3 and 6. here's the website<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/canada/products/R7980.asp" target="_blank">http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...ucts/R7980.asp</a>

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
OK. Right, if you don't get enough oils, then you want to add an oil that has the balanced amount of 2 to 1 omega 6 to omega 3. If you already get enough oil, but its heavily omega 6, then you should add something like the oil you describe, which is heavily omega 3.<br><br><br><br>
I don't know what the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 in walnut oil, and flax oil is, but it may be similar to this oil you mention -- and flax oil doesn't tast bad at all, in my estimation -- although it gets rancid rapidly, and this may make it taste bad, if it is stored in the store too long, without refrigeration. Walnut oil is absolutely delicious in my opinion. So why get an expensive nasty-tasting oil when you can get a cheap delicious oil? Loriva makes a wonderful walnut oil -- it tastes like "walnut juice." It's delicious. You can easily gobble it tablespoon after tablespoon.<br><br><br><br>
Yes oils are easier to digest, if they are purefied oils, rather than mixed in with rugged matter, like whole flax seeds. And they are easier than ground flax seeds -- but I don't really think they are a whole lot easier to digest than ground flax seeds. Plus ground flax seeds have a wonderful digestion-regulating quality -- they will tend to produce regular stools, and ease constipation wonderfully -- much like silly-umm -- yet eating large quantities will not produce dire-rear -- plus they are a good source of protein that the plain oil won't have. Walnuts are wonderfully easy to chew and digest. It hardly makes sense to press them for oils. And walnuts are in season now and you can crack them and add walnut pieces to all kinds of baked goods. That's right, pre-cracked walnuts don't have nearly the quality of flavor that fresh-cracked do, but they will save a lot of work.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
<a href="http://www.walnuts.org/health/han_nutri1_index.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.walnuts.org/health/han_nutri1_index.shtml</a><br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.walnuts.org/health/han_nutri2_fatty.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.walnuts.org/health/han_nutri2_fatty.shtml</a><br><br><br><br>
Linoleic to linolenic should be about the same as omega 6 to omega 3; 61 to 15 for walnuts. Walnuts are one of the highest plant-origin source of omega 3 oils. However they have 4 times as much omega 6 as omega 3; this suggests that taking your supplent, having 2 times as much omega 3 as omega 6 -- is a good idea.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
From the web site for udo's choice oil:<br><br><br><br>
"Ultimate Oil Blend also contains medium chain triglycerides, which are easy to digest and assimilate and can be used directly by our cells as a source of energy without increasing fat deposits."<br><br><br><br>
The comment that medium chain triglycerides (triglyceride is the chemical name for oil) are easy to digest -- implies they are easier to digest than long-chain triglcyerides -- which I doubt is true -- what is true is that medium chain tryglycerides are easy to digest -- which is all that this really says -- and just about all oils are easy to digest.<br><br><br><br>
The comment "can be used directly by our cells as a source of energy without increasing fat deposits" is similarly misleading, and meaningless. Any oil can be used just as "directly," and any oil can be used without increasing fat deposits -- provided you limit your quantity to that which won't incrase fat deposits. No oil is any better at preventing an increase in fat deposits than any other. If you eat more oil than you need -- you get increased fat deposits. If you don't, you don't. You can also get increased fat deposits by increasing your carbohydrate or protein intake -- they are converted to fat. So that statement is a mere sales pitch and has no real information. Around here, we call it -- bull****.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Tho it is easy to see how you may have a shortage of omega 3 relative to omega 6, there are so many delicious foods that have lots of oil, that I find it hard to understand why you may not have enough total fats in your diet. Nuts. Edamame. Most cookies and cakes. Salad dressings. Olives. Soymilk. Nut butters and nut milks. Sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin and squash seeds -- pumpkin and squash seeds ought to be more popular. And oils are a very common ingredient in all kinds of prepared foods. Potato chips have almost as much oil as they have potato. And about twice the calories from the oil they are deep-fried in, as from potato starch. I'm not recommending potato chips. I'm just mentioning they are loaded with fat.<br><br><br><br>
Avocados of course.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one thing i should probably have pointed out before you posted all that info on walnuts. i don't like walnuts. sorry lol<br><br>
but thanks anyway

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
LF writes:<br><br>
===========================<br><br>
one thing i should probably have pointed out before you posted all that info on walnuts. i don't like walnuts. sorry lol<br><br>
but thanks anyway<br><br>
======================<br><br><br><br>
Your welcome.<br><br><br><br>
I know someone who didn't like walnuts, and went for counseling, and now her response to walnuts is improved. You could try acupuncture too.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I don't like walnuts either.<br><br><br><br>
I like walnut pieces in cookies cakes pies and breads. Stuff like that. Though I really pecans. and the walnut oil really had a nice taste -- like walnuts, but without the kind of edgie bite tongue-drying thing that walnuts have.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i know this is a major resurrection. . .but we use Udo's Choice at our house. i like it, but i usually mix it. I either mix it in my fruit smoothie for breakfast or as part of a sald dressing. then, it goes down easier. my husband can manage it straight up--but i just don't like the idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts