VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone would like some help installing Ubuntu I volunteer. There was a similar thread started with some interest. It isn't really difficult to install, but getting used to a new OS might be a little scary. There are a few commands you will have to learn. For the most part it will be much easier than you think.

Can you imagine, I am running a state of the art system using a 5 year old computer with a 40 gig hard drive. Even with all my media files, the drive is only 33% full. The system runs very smoothly, and I can rest easy that my information is about as secure as it can be.

Still, you might need a little help, psychological or technical, to make the leap. Please pm me. I might offer one-on-one support. With enough interest I'll make it known to the other *nix users around here and see if we can come up with something more organized.

To the poster using Win98, or anyone running WinME or earlier, be aware that you are at significant security risk, and should not be sending sensitive information. MS no longer provides any security support for those products. Any *nix system (including Ubuntu) is more secure by nature than a Windows system, including the newest Win products.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I run dapper drake, it was my first ubuntu install and i couldn't be happier. I thought my comp had major hardware issues until i left windows behind. I don't think I well be trying the new one just yet as, why fix something that ain't broke? I would love to hear feedback about it though. I am very new to the whole thing and installing software can be a challenge at times.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got embedded RealPlayer content for Firefox up, which I didn't on EE. Anyone who has gotten the embedded the WMP firefox plugin working on any *nix, please be my friend
Embedded Flash is up, as on Edgy. You do have to do this stuff yourself of course since all that stuff is closed source.
But FF walked me through an install of some codecs (graphics, media). I don't think EE did.

I'm having fun trying out different desktop environments (gnome, KDE, and xfce). It's very easy to switch around with the login screen "options" menu (Edgy may have had this feature as well, I just happened to get interested now). I also discovered a great amarok-like music player which is tailored for gnome: Exaile.

Smooth sailing for the most part. I've ordered more memory to feed my gaming addiction. I don't run a server or use wireless networking, so I have no info there.

Any others made the switch?

·
Registered
92 Posts
From a windows user perspective, it seems like linux users are *always* upgrading to the new version of distro A or trying out distro B. Is that accurate? How big of a task is upgrading/installing?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by psala View Post

From a windows user perspective, it seems like linux users are *always* upgrading to the new version of distro A or trying out distro B. Is that accurate? How big of a task is upgrading/installing?
I think this is accurate, but has more to do with the personality of linux users in general than the distros themselves. For instance there is a stable, supported version of Ubuntu (Dapper Drake) which will be supported until 2009. However, I think linux users love to try out the lastest things (like new beta versions), as well as different distros, just for geeky fun. And being part of the *nix community gets in your blood, even if you're not a developer. The excitement of the growth of open source... you can't help but want to get in on it.

Installing is a BREEZE. Upgrading would depend on the distro. My lastest Ubuntu upgrade was easy. But I wouldn't know if the same could be said for another *nix distro, they do vary. Many users like to do "fresh installs" (backup all data to another storage, wipe the drive, and reinstall).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.