VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The Justice Department has accused Tyson Foods of running an illegal smuggling ring designed to recruit Latin Americans who would work harder and complain less than U.S. citizens on its payroll.

In a 36-count indictment unsealed in Tennessee, the government described a scheme through which six Tyson managers actively recruited illegal aliens from Latin America to work in 15 plants across at least seven states.

The indictment is the result of a two-year undercover operation run by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Ken Kimbro, head of human resources at Tyson, described the government action as a "sting operation" and blamed the smuggling activities on a group of six rogue managers who had been fired or placed on administrative leave.

But the Justice Department is alleging that Tyson Foods itself participated in the smuggling. The indictment cites a meeting of human resources managers at Tyson headquarters in March of 1998, at which the directive was issued: "Never, ever admit hiring illegals."

According to the indictment, illegal aliens were desirable because their fear of deportation meant they would put up with conditions that U.S. employees would not tolerate. For example:

They would work on faster-moving conveyor belts, making them more productive than regular employees.

They would be allowed fewer bathroom breaks.

They were less likely to complain to managers, file grievances with government agencies, file for workers' compensation or be absent from work.

The indictment is built around the activities of INS undercover agent Benjamin Maldonado. Responding to allegations that Tyson managers were hiring illegal Mexicans, Maldonado began serving as a procurer to Tyson managers starting in June of 1998.

During the next two years, Maldonado and other INS agents allegedly provided scores of illegal aliens, complete with stolen Social Security numbers, to various Tyson plants, collecting as much as $200 a head for their services.

They weren't paid in cash, but with checks issued by Tyson Foods. Maldonado would submit invoices requesting money for "recruitment fees," and the company would pay him.

According to a statement by Tyson's Kimbro, the company learned of the undercover operation about 18 months ago and has investigated the allegations on its own.

As a result of its own investigation, Tyson fired four managers named in the indictment and has suspended two others, "pending the outcome of this matter."
http://www.usatoday.com/money/genera...tyson-food.htm

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
One of six former Tyson Foods managers charged with participating in an immigrant smuggling scheme killed himself with his rifle, police said Friday.

Investigators said Jimmy Rowland, 36, was found shot in his chest Thursday, four days after he left home telling his wife he needed to get away to think.

Bedford County coroner Aubrey Richards ruled the death a suicide.

Rowland, a former manager at Tyson's Shelbyville plant, was indicted Dec. 11 on federal charges of conspiring to smuggle illegal immigrants to work at company plants in nine states. He was free on a $100,000 bond and faced trial in February.

A federal prosecutor has said the maximum possible sentence for any defendant convicted on all 36 counts would be 395 years in prison.

"I knew he was having his ups and downs but didn't know he was this depressed," said Doug Trant, Rowland's attorney. "This is one of the worst tragedies I've ever known."

Authorities said Rowland had been working as a hospital nurse. His body was found in the bed of his pickup, parked in a wooded pasture.

Rowland is survived by his wife and two sons.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/genera...on-suicide.htm

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Tennessee has something of a "tradition" of people committing suicide just in advance of an indictment or prosecution. It's almost like Japan with hara-kiri.

There is massive corruption here involving illegal immigrants, and the State Legislature and Governor have sought to facilitate such corruption through the state driver's license system, which has been corrupted during the last two years or so. Tennessee welcomes illegals, and tries to facilitate their stay by furnishing them with ID and other useful documents.

It has gotten so bad that many states will not accept a Tennessee driver's license as a valid form of identification, and I am told that Canada will not accept it if I should try to enter that country.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update on the previous story...

Quote:
A Border Patrol agent testified Thursday that he posed as a smuggler and delivered illegal workers, including some by commercial flights, to Tyson Foods managers looking for cheap labor.

Prosecutors in the meat giant's federal conspiracy trial also played secretly recorded tapes that agent Benito Maldonado testified were his telephone conversations with then-Tyson managers.

Maldonado identified a voice on one such tape as Tyson's Monroe, N.C., plant manager, Robert Sanford, telling Maldonado he needed hundreds of workers.

"Hell, I put over 700 people to work," said the voice identified by the agent as Sanford. "I'm going to need to replace 300 or 400 people -- maybe 500. I'm going to need a lot."

Springfield, Ark.-based Tyson and three company officials are charged with conspiring to smuggle illegal immigrants to work on the production lines of the nation's largest poultry processor.

Tyson spokesman Gary Michelson said during a break that the tapes played for jurors "involve former Tyson employees who violated company hiring policies and were subsequently terminated."

While the government claims the smuggling was part of a conspiracy that reached to the top levels of Tyson, the company contends any hiring of illegal immigrants was done by a few plant managers and was not known to executives.

The three company officials named in the indictment -- Gerald Lankford, 63, of North Wilkesboro, N.C., Robert Hash, 49, of Greenwood, Ark., and Keith Snyder, 42, of Bella Vista, Ark. -- all maintain their innocence.

Maldonado, who said he was known to Tyson as Benjamin, described picking up eight illegal immigrants outside a warehouse near where they sneaked across Mexico's border into Del Rio, Texas, in January 1998.

On the tapes played in court, a speaker identified as Sanford said he had to check with his boss about paying for the eight workers. Maldonado said Tyson managers paid $100 for each worker and helped collect payments totaling $1,000 from the immigrants for their transportation and fake identification.

The agent testified that Charles Cook, a Tyson personnel manager at Glen Allen, Va., told him he had talked to his supervisors and wanted workers from Guatemala.

Maldonado said some Tyson plants started using an employee screening program in 1998 that made it more difficult for them to hire illegal workers using fake Social Security cards.

He said 136 illegal immigrants were taken to Tyson plants in six states. Another 18 illegals were intercepted before reaching Cumming, Ga.

Prosecutors contend the conspiracy began in 1994 after Tyson plant managers had trouble hiring cheap legal help for its poultry plants.

If convicted, Tyson could face millions in fines and the loss of government contracts. The jury also will decide the amount of any financial gain from using illegal workers.
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/07/Bu...or_smugg.shtml

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

An update on the previous story...

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/07/Bu...or_smugg.shtml
I worked for Tyson in Grannis, AR until 11-12-02. I did see quite a bit of evidence of illegals being used with the full knowledge of Tyson management. This is only one of many instances I recall where someone acted with full knowledge that they were helping illegals beat the system and work there.

I saw the trainer ask a Hispanic person to tell him his SSN. When the employee could not give one, the trainer pulled a scrap of paper from his pocket, handed it to the guy, then repeated the question. (I have enough of a working knowledge of Spanish to have been able to understand the conversation.) The guy then answered the question with a number. Then the trainer told him that that number was his new SSN and that he should remember it from now on and be able to recite it.

Shortly before I left the plant for good, our entire catch crew was deported to Mexico and the crew boss was arrested for immigration violations and tax evasion. They started using the automated catching machines after this incident.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I went to your site cyberactivist and read about "One leggers"

How horrible :-( ...... just when I thought it was horrible enough I read even more horrible stuff :-(

Chickens get absolute hell in modern human "civilization". What a disgrace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts