VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, this is my first post but I haven't found any advice on the internet about my current situation and I was hoping someone here could help.

I have type 1 Diabetes (I've had it for 25 years) but it is pretty well controlled. I really noticed a difference when I started eating wholefoods about 5 years ago. The insulin I was injecting was almost cut in half.

Anyway, I have been juicing and doing the odd smoothy for quite some time but recently I have been making a green smoothy to start my day. This morning I did one in my vitamix using:

1 banana
1 handful of greens
1 small handful of coriander
1/2 grapefruit
small amount of coconut water
dash of cinnamon
1 x teaspoon of maca powder
1 x teaspoon of spirulina powder
1 x teaspoon of barleygrass powder
1 x teaspoon of baobob powder

Now my problem is that my sugar levels go sky high after this (at least twice the amount), I'm lost as to why this happens. I inject the appropriate dose which I would do if I ate a banana and 1/2 grapefruit but they still go crazy.

I didn't think there would be enough carbohydrates in the powders to justify a higher dose.

Can anyone explain why this happens?
Paul

·
Banned
114 Posts
I honestly couldn't tell you offhand, I would say that I believe smoothy's/juicing is over-rated. One thing to chew your food in real time another to gulp a meal from a glass - imagine putting your dinner in a blender and drinking it down. I could imagine such an issue as yours resulting from something as simple as that?!?!?!

Alternatively I am aware that cinnamon has an effect on blood sugar or insulin - Cassia/Chinese/Vietnamese is the variety in question here although normally it's effect on diabetes (when 1 teaspoon and under) is regarded as positive and an alternative to medications (type 2 I believe).

With regards to the other powders I know nothing of them however I would say alot of them are touted as being "Great for Vitamin X,Y &Z" but if you read up on them in scientific circles there's nothing to suggest they are as amazing as the claims made on the packet or in quack-health and well-being sites.

Sorry I can't be more of help but I have no real knowledge of type-1 nor can I say with any degree of certainty that anything I've stated is your issue.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Hello there, this is my first post but I haven't found any advice on the internet about my current situation and I was hoping someone here could help.

I have type 1 Diabetes (I've had it for 25 years) but it is pretty well controlled. I really noticed a difference when I started eating wholefoods about 5 years ago. The insulin I was injecting was almost cut in half.

Anyway, I have been juicing and doing the odd smoothy for quite some time but recently I have been making a green smoothy to start my day. This morning I did one in my vitamix using:

1 banana
1 handful of greens
1 small handful of coriander
1/2 grapefruit
small amount of coconut water
dash of cinnamon
1 x teaspoon of maca powder
1 x teaspoon of spirulina powder
1 x teaspoon of barleygrass powder
1 x teaspoon of baobob powder

Now my problem is that my sugar levels go sky high after this (at least twice the amount), I'm lost as to why this happens. I inject the appropriate dose which I would do if I ate a banana and 1/2 grapefruit but they still go crazy.

I didn't think there would be enough carbohydrates in the powders to justify a higher dose.

Can anyone explain why this happens?
Paul
How long after the smoothie are you testing? Since you can drink it faster than you could probably eat the food, maybe drink it more slowly. Or maybe there isn't as much fiber, if you're juicing rather than smoothie-ing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments all. LedBoots, I test throughout the morning, anywhere from about 9am to midday.

I think I've kind of worked things out:-
Because the fruit is more concentrated it is absorbed quicker. So the banana and grapefruit sugars are already in the blood system before the insulin has a chance to start dealing with it. (Now, I am kind of assuming the next part) As the body tries to deal with the excess sugars and increasing blood sugar levels it goes on to raise the blood sugar more than it should.

What I'm trying to say is that I should have my insulin dose about 30 minutes before I have my smoothies/juices rather than about 10 minutes before which I have been doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts