1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interesting articles. I actually had no idea that dogs fair well on a vegan diet. I did know about cats, though.

My sister and I used to own a cat about 10 years ago (an adorable and somewhat rascally and friendly long-hair black cat named Sylvester) and I recall that my sister, a vegetarian, tried for a short time to get our cat on a vegetarian (not vegan) diet - i.e., no meat or fish. He turned his nose up at it so we went back to giving him meat-heavy cat food. But then, he was a picky cat, as he totally broke the myth that cats like milk. Our cat did not like milk at all. But then, it wasn't the first myth he broke. Cats aren't supposed to like water either but our cat used to run to the cleaning woman when she was mopping the floor and roll around in the water and get in the bathtub when we were trying to take a bath

Tam

·
Registered
139 Posts
well, most cats I've delt with don't like milk much, they will have a bit of heavy cream, but not milk. and it's not very good for them so. I'm going to get cats, I will never force a vegetarian diet on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay View Post

But then, he was a picky cat, as he totally broke the myth that cats like milk. Our cat did not like milk at all. But then, it wasn't the first myth he broke. Cats aren't supposed to like water either but our cat used to run to the cleaning woman when she was mopping the floor and roll around in the water and get in the bathtub when we were trying to take a bath

Tam
I believe that cats are actually intolerant to milk - it can give them the scoots (not to put to fine a point on it
). My cat loves cream, but only gets it as a very special treat (at Christmas, normally). And I stayed with a family in Switzerland for a period who had two cats who would drink water from the bathroom sink! And even if the water was soaking them and their fur, they didn't mind at all! Haha!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you just have to gradually switch a dog over, say 3/4 of normal food to 1/4 new food for a week then go 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, then 1/4-3/4 third week then full new food. Most of the veg dog foods can be found in pet supply stores.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts